Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Retirees - Working stiff needs advice

I am still a working stiff. 15 years till retirement . But happy to have a great paying job.......that I absolutely hate. My boss is a sniveling piece of crap that lies and does whatever he can to deflect his own incompetence. That includes asking his subordinates to lie for him.

Please offer me some advice to keep the bigger picture in perspective. Bosses come and go, but this guy has me wanting to throw away 11 years at this company to look for something else.

How did you get through your worst day/weeks/months/years ever on the job?

2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
If any job effects your health, your family life or your well being, it is not worth the good pay. It never will be.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
been there done that! I've stayed at jobs I hated because of the money and I needed a paycheck,and when the going got too tough and I couldn't take anymore,i quit before I killed someone. money is nice,but it isn't everything.stress is a killer,get a job you really like.
Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inter company transfer opprotunitues?
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would rather have less money and be happy than to have a bunch of money and be a miserable bas!ard.

Seriously, I have had a bunch of money, and very little money, and I cant tell you with is better.

You only have one shot at life, dont blow it.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Hate to hear about anybody having to go through this type of situation.
Came into it myself and wouldn't wish it on anybody.
34 years at an auto dealership ; 4 owners , two ok, one great and the last one... well lets just say I pulled the pin 8 years early.
Always said I was too good to be fired and too dumb to quit , until I gave notice.
Others are saying the same , it's your health at stake ; we don't wan't to hear that you went "postal " start looking around.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Well I had a great job, great pay and great opportunity. As I promoted thru the ranks, bosses changed and so did my responsibilities, including taking blame for those above me when they made mistakes. They were great at holding everyone accountable but themselves. The mindset I had was to promote(if that is possible for you) as there were many I'd rather work with than for, and to beat them at their own game. For example we would have weekly meetings where we would include attorneys in our decision making and policy changes. The big boss would have given me direction that was totally opposite of the correct way to do things, or was just not accepted in the profession. I would simply tell the attorneys what my plan was(actually the big bosses plan) at which point they would come unglued. None of my counterparts had the guts to do this. Then the big boss would look at me and had the gall to say something to the effect of "we're not really going to do it that way, we'll discuss this later". Then he would try and tell me I misunderstood him, and gave me carte blanche to handle it my way.

Now the luxury I had was two-fold, one was I was over 50 and could retire in mid sentence, even though I had 6 years to max out my retirement benefits. That helped me get thru those last 6 years, knowing at the worst case, I would just get a little less money in retirement. But the biggest luxury was that I knew these Attorneys my entire career and they knew my ethics and that I was a hard worker with a wealth of experience and training. The big boss was somewhat new to the organization, and his style was not appreciated by many. Some of these Attorneys took me to the side and asked why I was asking or saying some things that they knew, I knew a better way to do, that was morally and fiscally responsible. They were confused so I simply told them the truth. But again I could have retired, so I had that "Ace" in my pocket. It all worked out well for me and I was pretty much left to do my job right way for the last 6 years. To this day I still talk to those Attorneys and they laugh as they thought the way I handled it was priceless.

I'm not sure how they handled it or if anyone ever talked to the big boss. But he for sure knew that I would speak my mind, do the right thing, and not compromise my ethics or morals just to cover up for him. I don't know if this helps in your situation, but I was always taught to do the right thing and let the chips fall where they may, and it never failed me. Good luck, I know it's not a fun position to be in. Take it day by day, things may change overtime, look for other opportunities in the organization, and the time will go faster than you think.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Back ~20 years ago I was in a similar situation.

My career has been in mining and had to deal with issues besides the normal stress to get production. Other influences were environmental, MSHA, union, and general public opinion against mining. Metal prices always played a big role in day to day operations. I was promoted to Operations Manager under a boss that I had known for years and although he had his short comings we worked together about as well as could be expected. Unfortunately he was transferred to a new position and the new boss was clueless. He seldom went out into the field to see the real situation and didn't understand mining at all, he came from a different field. It got to the point that I would simply hand him the daily report, and wait for him to dismiss me from his office, we rarely talked. He also started to form alliances with people who were self-serving and not really looking out for the best interests of the company. I was also dealing with a VP that was a complete A-hole and I told him so. Eventually we had a visit by corporate & one of the other VP's asked my opinion and I told him that I had done everything in my power to make the operations perform and they may have to bring in someone else, which they did. My boss had a smile on his face when he called me into his office and told me I was being demoted with a cut in pay. I politely told him thanks but NO thanks and that I would take my severance package. He was completely caught off guard and told me I couldn't do that but based on the employment agreement, due to the cut in pay, it was in my rights. I left with a good severance package and my pride. Guess what, the VP that was an A-hole was let go ~2 weeks before I quit & the GM was let go ~1 year after I left, what comes around goes around.

I eventually took the opportunity to back to school and received and MBA and Masters in Industrial Engineering. You might say I picked my self up and dusted myself of and moved on with my life.

From that day forward I swore I would never work in a job that I did not enjoy. My next job lived worked out pretty well, I worked my way up the ladder and had the respect of people from the parent company, one of the largest in the world. Unfortunately metal prices dropped and the mines went to care and maintenance meaning they didn't need someone like myself drawing a decent salary to babysit mines shut down. Again I was fine with this, the ~4 years I had worked are still fondly remembered.

The next job started off OK until the HR department started to build an empire. The head of the HR and myself started disagreeing on how things should be done and unfortunately all the other senior managers were scared to speak out (there had been a number of people fired in unpleasant terms for doing so). The GM was in alliance with HR and actually was her henchman. Ultimately she crossed the line and became very unprofessional during a phone call screaming & swearing at me. I turned in my resignation that week. I had worked for that company 9 months and still cringe at the thought of HR Manager and GM. But in the end both of them were fired along with most of the people they brought to the company, what comes around goes around.

My last job started out great, I got along with my team and the VP I reported to was great to work for, we still stay in touch. He was eventually promoted to CEO and he promoted me to VP and then ultimately COO. I got to work with some great C level people. I was making $$$$$ and Things changed and a new CEO was brought in who was arrogant and clueless, a bad combination. I lasted 1 1/2 years when I turned in my notice, I did this verbally to the CEO so he could start looking for my replacement. He didn't do anything for 3 months at which point I turned in a 30 day notice in writing. I then counted the days. The +3 years I worked for this company was both sweet and sour. Guess what, the CEO was let go ~1 year later, what comes around goes around.

The morals of my stories is that don't stay in a job that you hate. My career had always been filled with stress and work demands but it was always bearable until I started working for a boss that I did not respect and work for. After my first exposure to this work environment I swore I would never work another job in that situation.

Develop an exit strategy, start looking for a new position and draw a line in the sand and if your boss crosses it, move on. Life it too short.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what your situation is financially, but the only advice I can offer is to get debt-free. Once you have no debt, or at the very least, minimal manageable debt, you are truly a free man and can do what you want.
Admittedly, this is difficult to do in today's credit based world, especially if you have kids and are putting them through school, etc., sometimes debt is necessary. But do you really need the fancy house, the newest vehicles, gadgets, etc?
Become as debt-free as possible and you will find your quality of life will improve drastically.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I am still a working stiff. 15 years till retirement . But happy to have a great paying job.......that I absolutely hate. My boss is a sniveling piece of crap that lies and does whatever he can to deflect his own incompetence. That includes asking his subordinates to lie for him.

Please offer me some advice to keep the bigger picture in perspective. Bosses come and go, but this guy has me wanting to throw away 11 years at this company to look for something else.

I have 40 years with the Feds....

30 military, 10 Federal Civil Service.

I was working for one goal, retirement, which I am happy to say I am enjoying as I write this.

It was 't always easy........

Without knowing your situation,here are a couple things that got me to where I am today....

I always was on time, few sick days, and was "honest". I didn't care who you were, what rank you held, I would not compromise my integrity. And I spent 15 of my 30 active duty years in recruiting...

This did not always make me a favorite guy!

I found as I got older, the years went by quicker.

I generally outlasted a bad supervisor/leader.

When under the control of a bad supervisor, my participation/ idea exchanges became minimal, when under a supervisor/leader that was good and I respected, I flourished and loved being part of the team.

I trusted no one but myself in regards to my performance and job satisfaction.

I didn't always like my job or supervisor but found what I was doing led to other opportunities.

I did work for the government, not a family operation where perhaps if the bosses son wanted your job all he had to do was talk to Dad - I didn't have that worry but believe me - some supervisor/leaders, actually a small majority, were good supervisors/leaders....and would do "things" to get you to ask for a transfer or quit!

But your story hits home as I was well within my retirement window and went to work for a person I can't call a supervisor as their name and and the word supervisor we should never be used in the same sentence and I had enough and retired - but please keep in mind, it took me almost 2 generations to get there.

Hang in there.........I believe in fate as I am not a lucky person......

As a side note - this same person who held a supervisor position, who was over me during my last "Annual Evaluation" said to me they heard I didn't think they were a good supervisor...........hmmmmm - was this a gift???? My last eval - I was headin' out the door in a few weeks - never coming back..........I stayed with my policy of being honest and let them have both barrels - yes - I did enjoy it.

Good luck,

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a job that was really getting to me, so I looked for and found a better job. Start net working to see what is going on in your field.

Your health and well being is more important than staying in a bad work situation.

Let's hope your boss does not read social media or you may be looking sooner than planned.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by raineman View Post

Hang in there as best you can.

If you are not doing so start keeping a detailed diary. Ensure you are very honest with your recording.

It generally is not too long before incompetents are moved up in an organization to a spot where they cannot do too much damage or let go.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
Agree with the others, there gets to be a point where the money does not justify the stress and mental health issues. Are there any internal company transfer options available? That would be best so you keep your service time already in. Plus, a lateral transfer would keep you at same level and pay most likely.

Good suggestion to get debt free and start living below your means (LBYM) to increase savings. Once you reach a point of financial security independence you are working because you want to, and not because you have to, it has tremendous benefit as you can say "I'm retiring" at any point the your BS bucket gets full.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
Only you can say even it is time to move on. Never forget life is to short to be miserable. Your family and you should always come first. During my career I only had one crappy boss in my 32 years with the same company. Never burned any bridges and for my last ten years the crappy boss reported to me. Funny how that works out.

Good luck with what ever you do. Work as long as you have to and retire when you know you can afford a life style that works for you.

Bob & Jenise Full timers
2008 Newmar Essex 4510 All Electric 500 ISM
2014 Honda CRV AWD
Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote