Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I started enacting my exit plan when I stopped enjoying my job. Do I have as much income? No, but I also have no regrets. I'm saving a lot of money on clothes and lunches. Monthly fuel bill is about the same, but now it includes personal travel. I do miss the per diem, but not the meetings.

Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #30

I too have made the decission to retire early for similar reasons. My wife has terminal cancer and we are going travelling a couple of years ahead of schedule to get this accomplished. This plus I have an 88 year old mother who at some point will need my help. I just ran the numbers and made sure we havd enough plus a little buffer for unexpected stuff. Good luck to you I'm sure you are making the right decission

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
We retired early and are still amazed at the amount of stuff we do even though our yearly income is down. We seem to save about the same amount of money as when we were working. It requires some planning to spend more money so our bank account does not continue to grow.

And NO we are not adopting anyone in the near future.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Darn I was thinking adoption might be plan C.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #33

I too am planning on going early...... under 2 more years. Just working to get as debt-free as possible (almost there).

By then I'll have 40 yrs with this company and it's time to go. Not happy in my job anymore and all the BS that goes with it. I am soooooooooo ready!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #34

I have one more day! Then, I am "Free at last, free at last!"
Funny, the upper management that had no interest in my Mainframe Team, and gave us no thought, and had no knowledge of what we did, basically ignoring us (partly because the mainframe never breaks and rarely hiccups so we stayed under their radar) - now they are crapping bricks because I am the only one with knowledge of certain important applications. I have given them some documentation on what I do, and where to find all the official docs. They don't read it. They are asking my team mates if they know and can do my work. Haha..... they, like me, are up to their armpits in their own work.
I am getting a perverse delight in seeing the upper management squirm.....
Am I a bad person for this.....?

My two closest co-workers are thinking very seriously of following me out. As I wrote in my Letter of Resignation, this is not the Florida Department of Education I joined some 24 years ago. Back then 'company loyalty' ran both ways.
I do plan to get another job lined up, going back to my old skills as armed security. One company I am looking at has good pay and Health Insurance and other bennies. I can do that for four years til I can receive my retirement benefits and SSI.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired from my day job at 58 four years sooner than I had planned. Was panicked a little at first until I figured out that the bills could all be paid. I had a stressful job with a lot of politics. My wife said by two weeks after I left I was a changed person. Never looked back. Started collecting my pension, had a small on-line business I built up that now pretty much runs itself. I will be officially retired (in the eyes of the government) in August and SS will start.

Never thought I'd see any of the money I put into SS again but I think I'm more excited about getting the lifetime park pass for $10.

We aren't giving up our house but we have inherited a couple of single family properties. One is sold and the other is in the process. I agree with others, being a landlord is asking for trouble. Sell.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello Nuclear;
Can you give us any insights to which way you are leaning towards:

1) continuing to work
2) early retirement
Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #37

Being retired military you have the health ins covered with your tri-care. That is a very good thing. I also suggest to just sell the house and not renting it. Take the money and invest that, no hassles and no worries. Assuming you have some pension income, and have enough assets that can meet your expense needs, then you can retire.

Look at one of the sister sites to this RV forum, run by the same folks:
Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Lot of good folks that have a lot of good information and helpful advice.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #38

Carolina Campers
Retirement advice!

Best time to retire is when you can.

If you wait until 59 1/2, at least you don't face the tax penalty if you use 401K or pension money.

The biggest challenge is health care between now and when you qualify for Medicare. If your company offers it to you as a retiree, you're lucky, if not, it may cost you $1,200 or more per month.

Just remember that if you run out of money, it is usually harder to go back to work then it is to retire.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #39

Another option to consider would be to offer your services to the old employer as a "consultant". If you have skills nobody else has, you can probably make a pretty good chunk of change working for small amounts of time
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon_fwa View Post
Another option to consider would be to offer your services to the old employer as a "consultant". If you have skills nobody else has, you can probably make a pretty good chunk of change working for small amounts of time

Many new retirees do just that. Same desk, same chair, but very flexible hours. As a sub-contractor, the company does not have to offer (or fund) costly benefits, so it is a good thing for the employer. My brother-in-law was hired as a contractor the second he retired from the engineering firm. They boosted his pay by half of what it saved the company by going with "contractors". Better yet, he works from home and gets things done much faster because of fewer hours spent dealing with office politics. Thus he can set his daily work schedule to suit his retirement desires.

One downside that he soon discovered was the easy access for his wife to assign "honey do projects".
Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our big regret is that we did not retire at 65 instead of waiting until 72! It seems like when we hit 70 the health problems started. Nothing life-threatening but enough to keep us pinned down!

On the other hand, I thank God every day that we are still as healthy as we are!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #42

Thumbs up

It's Day 22 of my retirement, and I am loving it. Finally, time to do what I want to do. And, occasionally need to look at my watch to see what day it is..... priceless!

LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice