Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Retirement Boredom

OK, I know I need some professional help. I actually feel guilty being retired and not drawing a paycheck. I miss the wheeling and dealing, making sales goals, creating successful marketing campaigns, bonus checks, and flying on business expense accounts. I have been retired 6 years and I still have this feeling. I guess I am an adrenaline junkie! Life in the slow lane in retirement, oh well. My favorite shows The Profit and Shark Tank! My wife says I need help! Anybody else miss the excitement?
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nope! I love retirement. Retired 14 months ago. Love not having to report to anyone but my wife. My job was awesome, but retirement is so much better.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhicks View Post
Nope! I love retirement. Retired 14 months ago. Love not having to report to anyone but my wife. My job was awesome, but retirement is so much better.

I'm with you! Retired & full timing for 8 years now.

When I woke up this morning I had nothing to do.

I only got half done.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you miss it that much, why don't you do sales on your schedule? There is many companies that will allow you to sell part time. That way you'll get out of your wife's hair too! Me, I love retirement been working since I was 12. My thoughts are, let somebody else have the stress.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

Nope. Retired at age 51, 16 years ago.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
OK, I know I need some professional help. I actually feel guilty being retired and not drawing a paycheck. I miss the wheeling and dealing, making sales goals, creating successful marketing campaigns, bonus checks, and flying on business expense accounts. I have been retired 6 years and I still have this feeling. I guess I am an adrenaline junkie! Life in the slow lane in retirement, oh well. My favorite shows The Profit and Shark Tank! My wife says I need help! Anybody else miss the excitement?
Part time RV salesman gig should help?
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I hit all of my goals and retired at 53. Bought our retirement MH at 55 and have been enjoying traveling 5 months a year for the past 12 years. I spent 32 years in the real estate profession and I don't miss it a bit.

I now spend my time "toying" with the MH..... researching and planning our next big trip. We live in FL and have many friends we have met on the road that winter in our area. We are never bored during snowbird season, lots of travel stories to hear.

Just like your career, retirement is what you make of it. Set retirement goals and plans and watch the fun begin.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #8

Been retired for fourteen months, just waiting for our new coach to come in, ordered a new Thor Outlaw. And planning our escape from Calif and Family.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
OK, I know I need some professional help.
If you know this, then go and get some. ;-)

Quote:
......I actually feel guilty being retired and not drawing a paycheck. I miss the wheeling and dealing, making sales goals, creating successful marketing campaigns, bonus checks, and flying on business expense accounts. I have been retired 6 years and I still have this feeling. I guess I am an adrenaline junkie!.......?

I don't think it's guilt, and I don't think it's adrenaline. Look at the list of what you miss--

.....the wheeling and dealing,
......making sales goals,
.... creating ... campaigns
....[receiving] bonus checks,
.....flying on....expense accounts.

What you miss is the ego massage that resulted when you were successfully manipulating people and events to your desired end. Nothing wrong with a little ego. A little.

But if what you miss six years out is not your friends, not your coworkers, not the fun, but just the ego-- then you probably ought to work on dropping that so you can relax and enjoy yourself!

Good Luck!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iawoody2 View Post
Nope. Retired at age 51, 16 years ago.
Same here, in 1999 to be exact. I did go back as a contractor in the IT field though. Got out of it when the economy tanked. Now working 32 hours a week as security at a retirement center. Don't want to quit as then I wouldn't have a reason to get out of the house and I need to escape the DW since she's been so sick the last three years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Only difference between working and retirement is the size of the pay check. Lots of things to do if you want to. Take up a hobby, volunteer, help out neighbours or senior citizens.

Once you get past the need for professional recognition the enjoyment of retirement will happen. Retirement means being able to do what you want to do, when you want to do it and how you want to do it. Well . . . . until the DW thinks you need some chores. LOL
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #12

"Once you get past the need for professional recognition"
Here in lies the key to an enjoyable retirement.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #13

There is all kinds of volunteer work out there including working at a camp ground of sorts!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
If you know this, then go and get some. ;-)

I don't think it's guilt, and I don't think it's adrenaline. Look at the list of what you miss--

.....the wheeling and dealing,
......making sales goals,
.... creating ... campaigns
....[receiving] bonus checks,
.....flying on....expense accounts.

What you miss is the ego massage that resulted when you were successfully manipulating people and events to your desired end. Nothing wrong with a little ego. A little.

But if what you miss six years out is not your friends, not your coworkers, not the fun, but just the ego-- then you probably ought to work on dropping that so you can relax and enjoy yourself!

Good Luck!!

Ohhhhhh my. Sounds like professional help to me.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote