Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
And while we're on the topic of putting your kids thru college, I don't pay for art history or psychology degrees. If we're going to spend the money and time in college, let's get something marketable in the real world.
But, but....they can always ask, "Do you want fries with that?"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I tell young folks to get a government job of any kind. Why save and live cheap when you can party and collect a pension later?
We made the choice to do jobs we LOVED and still managed to save and collect a pension.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #59

Reading all of the comments posted on this topic, i'm always amazed at the wide range of ideas and thoughts. Some I just sadly shake my head at, and some I smile at. You guys never cease to amaze me.

Saving for retirement takes on a whole lot of factors, and not just cash money in an account. I started my working life as a newspaper boy, and worked my way thru college, didn't party, got two engineering degrees and ended up supervising two divisions of engineers, technicians and office staffs. My retirement savings involved my two daughters, wife and pets. None of them did without anything essential but we didn't spend money we didn't have. My oldest daughter, now a doctor, still kids me that I would refuse to buy her McDonald's Happy meals when she was growing up because we just couldn't afford to waste money of throw away toys. I figured if that was the worst she can say about us, I did pretty good. I used to save the very small remnants of bars of soap and when collected enough I would squeeze them into one big bar of soap just to save money.

All of that leads me to today, where I am comfortably retired and happy. My two girls are doing well, my wife still loves me, and we have the money to do what we want in life. And best of all, my two daughters are not expecting any inheritance from us. They encourage us to "get out there and enjoy life", we will take care of the house for you. My plan is to have the money run out on the day we both die.

For those of you who say "live for the moment, and let retirement work itself out", I feel sorry for you. For those of you who criticize people who worked in the public sector, the military or worked private sector with pensions that support them I feel sorry for you also. We all make choices in life, and for good or bad you made yours. This is a great country. We are all free to make decisions.

In conclusion, let me say God Bless America, and that includes our Canadian and Mexican neighbors too!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Reading all of the comments posted on this topic, i'm always amazed at the wide range of ideas and thoughts. Some I just sadly shake my head at, and some I smile at. You guys never cease to amaze me.

Saving for retirement takes on a whole lot of factors, and not just cash money in an account. I started my working life as a newspaper boy, and worked my way thru college, didn't party, got two engineering degrees and ended up supervising two divisions of engineers, technicians and office staffs. My retirement savings involved my two daughters, wife and pets. None of them did without anything essential but we didn't spend money we didn't have. My oldest daughter, now a doctor, still kids me that I would refuse to buy her McDonald's Happy meals when she was growing up because we just couldn't afford to waste money of throw away toys. I figured if that was the worst she can say about us, I did pretty good. I used to save the very small remnants of bars of soap and when collected enough I would squeeze them into one big bar of soap just to save money.

All of that leads me to today, where I am comfortably retired and happy. My two girls are doing well, my wife still loves me, and we have the money to do what we want in life. And best of all, my two daughters are not expecting any inheritance from us. They encourage us to "get out there and enjoy life", we will take care of the house for you. My plan is to have the money run out on the day we both die.

For those of you who say "live for the moment, and let retirement work itself out", I feel sorry for you. For those of you who criticize people who worked in the public sector, the military or worked private sector with pensions that support them I feel sorry for you also. We all make choices in life, and for good or bad you made yours. This is a great country. We are all free to make decisions.

In conclusion, let me say God Bless America, and that includes our Canadian and Mexican neighbors too!
Well written. I really get tired of reading the posts/comments about public sector or private sector employees with pensions. We all make choices, some good, some not so good. Criticizing our friends and neighbors for their choices really doesn't do any good. I'm grateful I moved all over the world during my career and felt my family's lives were enriched because of it. I'm also grateful for the contributions I made. I have no regrets or complaints and do not envy those in better financial shape.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #61

We maxed out our 401K contributions, Roth IRAs and employee stock ownership plans for 30 years. We learned to live on what was left. Retired at 62 now drawing dividends, Social Security, company retirements and VA disability. Not bad for a high school dropout.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #62

Instead of using I, we, me and us multiple times in one response, some concern should be shown for folks that are less fortunate and are being literally taxed out of their homes because of public pensions. Not everybody has the same choices and luck.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Instead of using I, we, me and us multiple times in one response, some concern should be shown for folks that are less fortunate and are being literally taxed out of their homes because of public pensions. Not everybody has the same choices and luck.
In Illinois, people love to blame the state and education workers for the "extravagant pensions" they supposedly enjoy. Well, I'm a retired state education worker and my pension is around $1300/mo. Fortunately I have other retirement assets. Education workers in Illinois don't pay into Social Security so their pension is it.
If you feel the need to cast blame on someone, blame the politicians who raided the pension funds and never found a way to make up the difference, or cared. Don't blame the average state worker who maybe made $55,000 max in their best year.
I'll agree with you however that seniors are being taxed out of their homes, especially evident here in Chicago's western suburbs. When my wife retires we'll be out of here as soon as possible.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #64

In PA, the state pension system is billions in the hole and property owners are to foot the bill. When the stock market took a dump, the pension fund took a major dump just like it did for many. It was invested aggressively knowing that if they won, they really won. If they lost, oh well the taxpayers will replace every dime.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #65

We get asked the question a lot about how much will I need in retirement along with when should I draw my Social Security. The answer to both comes down to when will you draw your final breath. I have one client who is thouroughly convinced that their $4 million nest egg is not enough for them to live on. Another who was complaining about having to take their required minimum distributions because they don't need the money as they are quite comfortable on their Social Security alone.

Life style, expectations, health, and wants versus needs all play into how much is enough. How much should you have saved? Who knows? You play the cards you are dealt and hope for the best.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #66

I have always planned for the worst and hoped for the best. With that in mind, we have always put 10% of the paycheck into 401k since we first had the opportunity. We never planned on having SS available when we retired. We don't have a million dollars but we think what we have, supplemented with SS, will last longer than we do. I guess we'll see.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #67

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I tell young folks to get a government job of any kind. Why save and live cheap when you can party and collect a pension later?
Funny! I had a gov't job for 30 years. I took it knowing that I'd make at least 25% less than what industry paid and raises were at the whim of the state legislature. Lots of years we got nothing, a few times we got as much as 5% but it was still less than what cost of living went up. I haven't gotten a cost of living raise since I retired in 1998. Still getting the same amount so I figure I'm down about 40% over what I should be getting now.
The only "inheritance" I got was my parents $17,000 credit card DEBT and two years of calls from collection agencies wanting their money from the "estate" of which there was none. Everything I have now is due to hard work and the late DW's saving habits.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything happens in cycles.
BLE373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We get asked the question a lot about how much will I need in retirement along with when should I draw my Social Security. The answer to both comes down to when will you draw your final breath. I have one client who is thouroughly convinced that their $4 million nest egg is not enough for them to live on. Another who was complaining about having to take their required minimum distributions because they don't need the money as they are quite comfortable on their Social Security alone.

Life style, expectations, health, and wants versus needs all play into how much is enough. How much should you have saved? Who knows? You play the cards you are dealt and hope for the best.
Very interesting. Thanks for the post! The second person you mentioned sounds like my parents! The older they got, the more paranoid they got about "their money running out". Dad hated to take out the required minimum distributions wanting to save it "for a rainy day". I remember once when I visited, their TV wasn't working. I told Dad "shoot Pop, that TV is older than I am, let's go buy a new one". He said "I can't afford a new TV boy, we'll just read a book or something". I told him I would pay for the new TV. That got him, he said "I never took "charity" from anyone, and I won't start now". He and I went out and bought a new set using his credit card.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
So my question to you kind people is "Did you save for retirement?"
Yes, 10-12% starting at 30 (plus 5% matching). Plus a few rental houses that are starting to pay off next year.
I also took 5 year loan from retirement to buy another rental. It makes money tight right now but I'm paying myself back and for the next few years 1600 a month is going into retirement account.
My wife and I our Blue collar (She has degree) and will not get an inheritance. When we retire unless the market totally crashes we're expecting 9-10K gross per month. We didn't do everything right and are even driving cars with no AC right now. Looking forward to the future and rental houses starting to be paid for.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote