Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Reverse shoulder replacement

Last wed may 9th I had a reverse shoulder replacement, I start physical therapy tomorrow (Monday may 13)

In a sling for 4 to 6 weeks, just wondering when I will be able to drive the Coach again

Anyone else have the reverse shoulder replacement done....oh yea, its on my dominant arm
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Curious. What is reverse shoulder replacement? Did you have a artificial shoulder replaced with another one? Both my shoulders are bone on bone and I am looking at having them replaced this fall. Doctor told me I would be able to drive two weeks after surgery. I think that is a little too soon.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Curious. What is reverse shoulder replacement? Did you have a artificial shoulder replaced with another one? Both my shoulders are bone on bone and I am looking at having them replaced this fall. Doctor told me I would be able to drive two weeks after surgery. I think that is a little too soon.
Yea, in October a doctor did a shoulder replacement that failed. ..long story, actually the implant was up to high and had very little range of motion. ..

The reverse shoulder replacement puts the ball on top and the cup on your arm. ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse-shoulder-replacement-4.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	202644
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dang, that looks painful. Please keep me updated on your progress as I am facing the same surgery. I have already had both hips replaced(20+years ago) and now looking at both shoulders and my right knee. I had a screw holding the cup in my left hip replacement. Now the screw can't be seen on x rays. I always wonder where did it go? Don't you just love modern medicine.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #5

It's not too bad as long as you don't try to use it ...then the lighting bolt of pain
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
SWMBO had a hip r/p and then 10 mos. later both knees R/P at same time. Knee R/p was painful but with therapy recovery was good. 1-1/2 yrs ago she had reverse R/p on dominant right shoulder. Went through full therapy and the PT said that this is as good as its going to get. She can't lift her arm much past the shoulder by itself, and any clothes with narrow necks ( sweatshirts , etc. ) I have to help her with. When she's not using it, its pain free, however, she said she would never do it again. She said her left shoulder is staying with her until she's under the grass.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
SWMBO had a hip r/p and then 10 mos. later both knees R/P at same time. Knee R/p was painful but with therapy recovery was good. 1-1/2 yrs ago she had reverse R/p on dominant right shoulder. Went through full therapy and the PT said that this is as good as its going to get. She can't lift her arm much past the shoulder by itself, and any clothes with narrow necks ( sweatshirts , etc. ) I have to help her with. When she's not using it, its pain free, however, she said she would never do it again. She said her left shoulder is staying with her until she's under the grass.
Bob
Thanks bob, yea I hear the most you can get from a reverse shoulder is 90 to 95 degrees, which is straight out or a little above. ....
I will be happy with that as I could only barely lift my arm....

Made it really hard to work on the motorhome. ..
Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Had both my shoulders replaced 2 years ago..CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH The Importance of faithfully doing all the PT exercises.. Especially range of motion !!!!
Otherwise you will end up with severe limitations and range of movement..
I have 80% range of movement on my "off" shoulder and 75% on my dominate shoulder.
Due to the extent of osteoarthritis and years of bone on bone damage, I am limited to lifting 75lbs (using BOTH hands)

The good of the ordeal is that I can now sleep all night without the unrelenting aches and pain..
Well worth it.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Reverse

I am 1 1/2 yr into my reverse replacement, other then limited range I have to say it was all good, will probably have the other one done also, the rehab is a lot shorter then rotator surgery, and yes I drive my RV all the time, did a 10,000. mi trip last fall.
Good luck
Bill
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You guys reinforce my decision to put off knee and shoulder surgery for as long as possible. First off I had to lose weight so my insurance would pay for knee replacement. Have lost 35 Lb so far. My Dr authorized presurgery therapy before knee replacement. BTY for every pound you lose you reduce 20 Lb of pressure on your knees according to medical peeps. After losing weight and therapy I am NOT getting knee surgery at this time in my life. About 50% of the knee R/P people at therapy had serious difficulty with recovery and said they would not do it again. Made me think nothing is better then our OEM parts!!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
You guys reinforce my decision to put off knee and shoulder surgery for as long as possible. First off I had to lose weight so my insurance would pay for knee replacement. Have lost 35 Lb so far. My Dr authorized presurgery therapy before knee replacement. BTY for every pound you lose you reduce 20 Lb of pressure on your knees according to medical peeps. After losing weight and therapy I am NOT getting knee surgery at this time in my life. About 50% of the knee R/P people at therapy had serious difficulty with recovery and said they would not do it again. Made me think nothing is better then our OEM parts!!
I have to say I am in the opposite camp. When Dr told me that my hip was ready to be replaced when I was ready I said how about tomorrow? Had it done 4 weeks later. An experienced surgeon surgeon generally has a very high success rate with joint replacements - the longer you wait the more your supporting muscles atrophy and you develop "compensations mechanisms" that are difficult to correct after surgery. Also the longer you wait the longer you live with pain and discomfort and a reduced quality of life. I am a fairly active 71 year old and I wanted to get it fixed and get on with enjoying life. Best decision I could have made. If you think 50% of the knee replacement people have had problems then you are talking to the wrong people or those operated on by the wrong surgeon.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #12

During the her first left shoulder reverse replacement surgery last June, the surgeon ran a test confirming a suspected staff infection in the joint, so he installed a temporary "spacer" reverse joint. Then she had 8 weeks of antibiotic therapy twice a day thru a pic line to eliminate the staff infection. The permanent reverse joint was installed in August followed by months of outpatient therapy. The shoulder is pain-free, but will never be able to lift her arm higher than shoulder height, which affects washing her hair, makeup, wearing a ponytail, reaching into upper cabinets, etc.

A big restriction turned up when Cheryl shattered her left femur in March, directly above her December left knee replacement joint. Crutches are normally used during recovery, but a reverse shoulder joint is susceptible to dislocating from crutch and walker pressure. 9 weeks in a wheelchair so far and that's been real fun for both of us. The no weight-bearing restriction should be lifted in 2 weeks, allowing her to use a walker. Hope to get her back in the MH by fall. Naturally, I bought new tires for the RV 8 hours before she broke the femur.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Tomorrow will be a week since surgery, pain is minimal now, and I'm getting my range of motion back

Everyone is different, I say go for it but with a doc that knows shoulders,
Old 05-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every joint replacement is different. I had both hip joints replaced in the mid '90s. Had to have the rip hip done again in 2005. So, three hip surgeries and Now I am at the point that I have worn then out and both need revised again. My shoulders and knee are the least painful right now. I just can't decide which to do first but will probably go with the left hip this fall as it is the most painful. I do not want to lose motor function with shoulder replacement. Is this restricted movement only with a reverse shoulder joint?
I am not totally against artificial joints but sure don't look forward to getting it done again and there are limitations against the original joints.
BTY, I did 2 months of therapy for my knee and shoulders. I know and do daily all the exercises to prevent muscle atrophy with painful joints.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement