Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I'm not mistaken on how the speculation is working. It's not supposed to be happening. Supply and demand is an ages old concept. For it to not work is detrimental to the United States.
Just out of curiosity, are you also against speculation in gold, silver, wheat, corn, coffee, orange juice and pork bellies?? There has been commodity speculation going on for a long time.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #16

RustyJC I won't answer your question as asked. I'm for a true market environment. That is not what is working out with crude, heating oil and unleaded gasoline. The controls for disruptive behavior have been circumvented. The capability to circumvent was provided by the very same people who are supposed to regulate oil speculative activities detrimental to our economy. Unleaded gasoline does not belong as a commodity. You don't take it out of the ground and you don't grow it. It's an abomination.

My post started out to show how gasoline prices in Canada have not changed. We should not be so out of step with Canada.

I'm just fed up with the oil gamblers (aka speculators) killing our economy. They don't even buy it. They don't even store it. The current speculative totals are over 7 times the total storage capacity. Even OPEC knows you don't kill the golden goose.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Note that the Watson Lake price is from December of last year.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #18

Hey someone answer me this. What about a gas motorhome converted to propane OR Nat. gas. I don't know, just askin?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you also against speculation in gold, silver, wheat, corn, coffee, orange juice and pork bellies?? There has been commodity speculation going on for a long time.

Rusty
The consumer can control the price of each of the above listed items by either discontinuing using them or finding an alternative to them. But with oil, you can only discontinue using it to a certain level; and there is no alternative. The people who control the oil head control the price by controlling supply and the speculators get rich and it's done outside of the mitigating controls of capitalism. And is why the speculation of oil is more detrimental than the speculation of the items above.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
That's interesting. So it's OK to speculate on the ingredients for the food on the dinner table, but don't mess with our gasoline/diesel fuel. Priorities are funny things, I guess.

Rusty
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
In 2007, it was Bush's fault. I guess it still is 4 years l8r!
Well. to some extent yes. Bush let the oil companies get away with it, after all, where did his and his VP's money come from?

However it's good you mentioned Alaska.. Much of the domestic oil in the US comes from fields under "Steward's Ice Box" as Alaska was once called... And every last drop of that is TAXED, and heavily, by Palin and company before it leaves the state.

Just so you know.

I still say however, what I said in my last post.

It is the fat oil compnay executive pigs and it's time for a political pork roast.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well. to some extent yes. Bush let the oil companies get away with it, after all, where did his and his VP's money come from?

However it's good you mentioned Alaska.. Much of the domestic oil in the US comes from fields under "Steward's Ice Box" as Alaska was once called... And every last drop of that is TAXED, and heavily, by Palin and company before it leaves the state.
It's a shame we don't allow political posts on iRV2. Otherwise, in response to the above, I'd quote Secretary of Energy Steven Chu and our current president regarding their objective of increasing energy prices as espoused in 2008. Anyone else remember that??

Quote:
Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe,” Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September 2008.
I'd also ask when the nation's economy will finally belong to the current administration? How do today's fuel prices compare to those of January 20, 2009?

Rusty
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
That's interesting. So it's OK to speculate on the ingredients for the food on the dinner table, but don't mess with our gasoline/diesel fuel. Priorities are funny things, I guess.

Rusty
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that its not a level playing field. You have to admit there is no other commodity outside of water that affects our civilization more than oil and it has the least control over it.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Remember "we" as consumers still have to pay for the Gulf spill....How we quickly we forget... We're not there yet. A few billion more.... So get used to high prices.....By then we'll come up with another idea or reason to go yet higher.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regular gas is predicted to be $1.34 Canadian per litre by the morning here in Southern Ontario. $1.34 x 3.8 = $5.09 Canadian dollars for 1 U.S. gallon. $5.09 at an exchange rate of 1.04 equals just over $5.29 U.S. dollars for 1 U.S. gallon.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I didn't know Sarah Palin was still an elected official in Alaska???

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
The disparity of prices IS rediculus. In NM, our local prices are around $3.85g. I'm 13 miles from the CO border. CO has a higher gas tax but their gas is $3.55. Tell me where I will buy my gas & why. I save over $.40 a gal. on diesel also. It's still over a $1 a gal more than it was in Oct.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This country was built on affordable energy. Take that away and we become just another country struggling to survive. I can't think of a faster way to kill the economic recovery than high energy prices. At some point in the near future commerce will just shut down if things don't change.
You'd think somebody in DC would realize this but I guess they don't read history.
Maybe speculators should be required to hold and store what they buy?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote