Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 AM   #29

Didn't we throw the tea in the water at Boston Harbor because England wanted to tax us out of sight? We should be rebelling on this gas product and frying the oil companies execs who are getting piggish happy over the salaries they get. I'd love to join the unhappy at gas prices. Keep it up and we all are going to suffer from water to grocery,to electric. You are being tested daily on how much you can afford. Not many of us are having good experiences that Obama thinks we are having.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
2010-12-02 10:38:35 116.9 cents per litre 2010-12-02 08:40:44 65.5 cents per litre 2010-06-28 09:50:29 109.9 cents per litre
Um.. those are 2010 prices...

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasser View Post
Regular gas is predicted to be $1.34 Canadian per litre by the morning here in Southern Ontario. $1.34 x 3.8 = $5.09 Canadian dollars for 1 U.S. gallon. $5.09 at an exchange rate of 1.04 equals just over $5.29 U.S. dollars for 1 U.S. gallon.
Exactly... this whole thread is based on bad, old, info
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Exactly... this whole thread is based on bad, old, info

Oh, Really?

Do you realize people report what they pay on these sites?

Here are some links:

Calgary Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Alberta

Winnipeg Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Manitoba

Abbotsford Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in British Columbia

Regina Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Saskatchewan

Whitehorse Gas Prices - Find the latest Whitehorse gas prices Notice there are highs and lows. Are all the gas stations near you ALL the same price? Not where I live.

Haines Junction Gas Prices - Find the latest Haines Junction gas prices

My reference to Watson Lake was ONLY stated because that was where we paid the most in 2009. Hint: there aren't too many people in Watson Lake this time of year or ANY time of the year. So, you're not thinking, MAYBE, the reporting MIGHT be a little spotty?

Exchange rates have NOTHING to do with my post.

Heck, since I have already bitten the bullet and have already paid top Canadian prices without any ill effect to my pile of cash, why should I care? Maybe I should do as the song says: DON'T WORRY-BE HAPPY.?

Nothing is going to change because of my posting. People will just pay until the next collapse to the economy. Those inflated Canadian high prices along the border? When the United States goes (down), so goes Canada. Oh no? n'est–ce pas?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
From what I've heard, Canada is a producer of oil and we get a lot of our oil from them. But, we have reduced our production, namely, in the Gulf. That is why they get it cheap and we pay through the nose.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #34

iRV2 No Limits Club
Any time you look at "A" cause rather than the multiple factors involved in an economic ecosystem, you will form an opinion on an opinion rather than what is reality.
Real world prices are coming home to us. I anticipated this when we decided to buy a teardrop trailer that I can pull behind our Subaru.

For factual information.
CRUDE OIL PRICE: Oil | Energy | Petroleum | Oil Price | Crude Oil Charts | Oil Price Forecast
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Don't forget, when you look at Canadian gas prices it is in liters, not gallons.
Makes a difference when you are doing your figuring.

And don't forget to convert from Canadian dollars to US dollars for the comparison. Presently, 1 Canadian dollar = $1.03 US so if it is $4/gal (Canadian), the equivalent is $4.13 US.

Also, since the currency fluctuates, some of the comparisons from a couple years ago may not be valid if no conversion was applied. There was a time not long ago when 1 Canadian dollar was about $.80 US. So if you saw $4/gal (Canadian) and thought it was high, it might only have actually been $3.20 US dollars.

You also have to think about the taxes each state/country charges. They change from time to time so you really have to back out the taxes and factor in changes in currency conversion if you want to make a solid argument that one group or the other is being overcharged.

Think about it. One poster spoke of Canadian fuel being more than $1 higher per gallon a couple years ago. If it was not due to tax differences or currency differences, the what would account for it? According to some here, the difference must be "greed". But that would be greed in Canadian distribution of fuel. Now, when the roles are reversed and US fuel is more expensive, are you saying the "greedy" Canadians are no longer greedy? To attribute the differences in price to greed makes no logical sense when you see that not long ago US prices were cheaper than Canadian. It is complicated and not helped by global uncertainty throughout the mideast.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Oh, Really?

Do you realize people report what they pay on these sites?

Here are some links:

Calgary Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Alberta

Winnipeg Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Manitoba

Abbotsford Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in British Columbia

Regina Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Saskatchewan

Whitehorse Gas Prices - Find the latest Whitehorse gas prices Notice there are highs and lows. Are all the gas stations near you ALL the same price? Not where I live.

Haines Junction Gas Prices - Find the latest Haines Junction gas prices

My reference to Watson Lake was ONLY stated because that was where we paid the most in 2009. Hint: there aren't too many people in Watson Lake this time of year or ANY time of the year. So, you're not thinking, MAYBE, the reporting MIGHT be a little spotty?

Exchange rates have NOTHING to do with my post.

Heck, since I have already bitten the bullet and have already paid top Canadian prices without any ill effect to my pile of cash, why should I care? Maybe I should do as the song says: DON'T WORRY-BE HAPPY.?

Nothing is going to change because of my posting. People will just pay until the next collapse to the economy. Those inflated Canadian high prices along the border? When the United States goes (down), so goes Canada. Oh no? n'est–ce pas?

Yes I do...

And dont PM me whining..

You are the one who posted old data then complained... Look back and you'll see others noticed and said something too...

Personally, I feel topics like this, that always seem to get started by or taken over by, woody are a little too politically charged. Its the same every time: Half complain the Gov (particularly Bush, Big Oil, their Republican cronies), are setting prices just to screw the little guy, the other half trying to explain economics.. Nothing ever comes of it except the lines that are drawn and PM's like the ones I receive.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #37

Just for reference, it's about £1.40 a liter in the UK (last I heard from family over there). At $1.60 per £ and 3.8L/USG, that works out to around $8.50 a gallon! About $7 of that is tax. They first slap a gasoline tax on the raw price then tax the sum of those with their 20% VAT.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
just greed.
In our town, the 4 gas stations routinely raise the gas price 30 cents a gallon on friday morning, and drop it back down on Monday.

Guess it's the "special" weekend fuel?

We traveled from chi-town to Tennessee last weekend. Interesting... gasoline is almost 50 cents a gallonm less here. Oddly the price of diesel was close to the same all the way, right at $4 or 4.10 a gallon.
Don't buy gas on Fri, Sat, or Sun. And contact your state fraud (attorney gen) office.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #39

WoW! The American dollar only gets you 96 cents now. I liked the good old days when I was in Canada (not sure what year it was) when I got $1.72 Canadian for the American dollar. Like the big O says we need to figure out a new way to get the energy we need (and not kill the planet at the same time) by using the one resource we have an abundance of (sunlight) for most of our energy needs. I live in the country where natural gas isn't available so I heat with oil. I now see that I need to find a new source of energy so I'm looking at the wood pellet boilers. At any rate we better learn how to power things without fossil fuels or we will wake up one morning dead. (pun intended)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #40

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forget what the prices were in "the good ole days" it's here & now that counts. Check the prices on any of the many web sites posting gas prices both in the USA and Canada. Convert the Canadian litres to USA gallons, convert the Canadian dollars to USA dollars. I think you will find your USA gasoline to be considerably less expensive than our Canadian gasoline. If you're not convinced, come on over & get some, the Canadian tourist industry would love to have you visit.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #41

Bluegrasser I do get up there 3 or 4 times a year. But when I do I fly up. Now thats some serious money when you talk about refueling the plane. But no matter the cost, we will continue to go to Toronto for some entertainment and good times.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #42

Isn't the real culprit on our US fuel prices the dramatic weak US dollar compared to other currencies. IE I belive the CAN$ vs US$ is about 15% different than 2 years ago, with the USS$ weaker.

I suspect if oil prices were stated in Euro's or some other currency, it would not show such a sharp rise in price. It is really more about a weak US$ than increased prices.

Not to state the political obvious, but as long as we continue to pay the price for being the world policeman and past administrations buying of the american public with tax cuts we could not, and can not afford, we will continue to have an ever increasing and unrealistic debt that will continue to drive US$ value down.

pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote