Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

Rip Off Gasoline Prices---Something Stinks

So we have a trip planned the majority of which will be in Canada. So I decided today to take a look at Canadian gasoline prices. Here we can use GasBuddy and check out local prices as reported by real people. They will break it down by low and high prices.

Canada has similar sites.

On a trip to Alaska two years ago when we left NY the gasoline price was about $2.87. We were glad to take the long trip while the prices were low. In Canada, however, sticker shock set in big time. The average price per gallon (number of liters times 3.8) was $4.38. The highest price we paid was $4.58 per gallon in Canada. We especially remember pulling into Tok and the price dropped to $3.33! Man we almost had a party over it.

So today, I checked out the prices across Canada and what did I find? The prices TODAY are the same as they were THEN!. The best was BC (bring cash country according to Canadians) had some of the lowest prices TODAY!

As my title for this post states, SOMETHING STINKS. How can prices be higher HERE and be the same in Canada? There's only one answer. We are being cheated and lied to.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Naw! Not cheated and lied to.

Just GREED by the oil conglomerates.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

I've been preaching greed. There is no real reason for this hike. Even the Libyan crisis is not to blame here. Their measly 2% of oil to the World doesn't fly because the 2% doesn't even come to U.S. Blame it on your daily weather if you need to hear excuses why they must raise the price daily here. Someday we are going to win and get it back. We hope.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Just to emphasize the price problem. This link shows the prices in Watson Lake. That's where we paid the HIGHEST price in Canada on my mentioned trip. It was very memorable because on the day we pulled into town we stopped at the first station we saw. 1/4 mile down the road the gas was forty cents cheaper per gallon.

Watson Lake Gas Prices - Find the latest Watson Lake gas prices

There are only a couple of stations in Watson Lake so this price listed is probably accurate. What the heck! They're as far into the boondocks as you can be. Gas should be $6 or better in price.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
just greed.
In our town, the 4 gas stations routinely raise the gas price 30 cents a gallon on friday morning, and drop it back down on Monday.

Guess it's the "special" weekend fuel?

We traveled from chi-town to Tennessee last weekend. Interesting... gasoline is almost 50 cents a gallonm less here. Oddly the price of diesel was close to the same all the way, right at $4 or 4.10 a gallon.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
There is one word for the oil companies with what they are doing to the American economy and it starts with scum and end in bags. Why did it take this long for people to start screaming about the oil prices again? Obamas solution, trade in your gas guzzlers as if he were saying learn to like it. Thats a real solution.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #7

Don't forget, when you look at Canadian gas prices it is in liters, not gallons.
Makes a difference when you are doing your figuring.
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

re: "There's only one answer. We are being cheated and lied to."

The answer starts with that presumption. Follow that by the "greed" allegations and you have the perfect mixture of self delusion and denial that results in such things as fuel price inflation.

As Ed says, we voted for it and we got it.

Much of our oil is coming from the Alberta shale and Mexico. We have pledged significant support for Brazil's offshore wells but have banned our own.

We mandate that our electrical utilities companies make a large part of their production from very expensive sources. We provide tax incentives and rebates to pay people for energy systems that are otherwise not feasible. We put significant regulatory and legal hurdles in the way of anyone trying to build new refineries. We heavily tax motor fuels and there are ongoing efforts to find new ways to tax vehicles due to loss in revenue as people find ways to reduce fuel use.

For another example of this self harming behavior, take a look at natural gas extraction protests. The methods have been in use for years but recently significant reserves were found in the wrong backyard - NIMBY is out in force with some very pernicious propaganda - and people buy it, especially the major media.

Or look at the brouhaha about the Japanese disaster. Tens of thousands of dead pretty much ignored to concentrate on a component that has no dead but only fear.

If you want to know why fuel prices are so high, go look in the mirror and you'll see a reflection of the primary perpetrator. You get him to think about the implications of what he is doing and the propaganda he falls for and you'll have made big headway towards finding solutions.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Don't forget, when you look at Canadian gas prices it is in liters, not gallons.
Makes a difference when you are doing your figuring.

Hi, good point. What I did say "(number of liters times 3.8)". Guys recognize this at your local favorite uninal. Stamped right on top. Many state 1 gallon or 3.8 liters per flush.

BryanL. We are not doing anything wrong. Rampant speculation is the problem. You can look up ICE instituted to circumvent speculation control on the NYMEX.

This is a quote of the scam perpetrated: I am NOT making a POLITICAL STATEMENT. I'm just showing the mechanism.

Quote:
Then, apparently to make sure the way was opened really wide to potential market oil price manipulation, in January 2006, the Bush Administration’s CFTC permitted the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE), the leading operator of electronic energy exchanges, to use its trading terminals in the United States for the trading of US crude oil futures on the ICE futures exchange in London – called “ICE Futures.”
No matter the reason, gasoline prices did not change in Canada to any great extent. The latest lie is that opening the oil reserves held by the government will ease the price of fuel. That's a blatant lie fostered upon us every day now on the boob tube.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Two year ago when I went to Alaska 1 US dollar bought 1.20 dollars Canadian. Today 1 US dollar buy 0.96 dollars Canadian. I don't deny that greed is taking place but what we are seeing when comparing the two countries is the devaluation of the dollar. Wait until interest rates start to climb and we'll see inflation on top of the devaluation.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two items on WDIV news 4 Detroit this morning

1: Aisian oil prices are dropping

2: Gas prices are rising

My comment was to ask the fat overweight oil compny executive pigs what their excuse is.

Personally.. I keep saying this... Till we make political bacon out of them (NOTE Political) the price will continue to increase.

HOW to cook them politically in their own fat.. I do not know.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Two year ago when I went to Alaska 1 US dollar bought 1.20 dollars Canadian. Today 1 US dollar buy 0.96 dollars Canadian. I don't deny that greed is taking place but what we are seeing when comparing the two countries is the devaluation of the dollar. Wait until interest rates start to climb and we'll see inflation on top of the devaluation.
When I went to Alaska in 2007, the differential was about 8 cents in favor of Canada. $/gal was 4.69 Canadian, 4.61 USD. That was in August in Fort Nelson, BC.

In 2007, it was Bush's fault. I guess it still is 4 years l8r!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

re: "BryanL. We are not doing anything wrong. Rampant speculation is the problem. You can look up ICE instituted to circumvent speculation control on the NYMEX."

I believe they call this oxymoronic. Absolute certainty about complex issues is never a good idea.

and I did not say anyone was doing anything wrong. I did suggest an approach towards solving the problem at its roots.

But it is always easier to blame someone else, especially when you can assign immorality or other evilness to them.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #14

I'm not mistaken on how the speculation is working. It's not supposed to be happening. Supply and demand is an ages old concept. For it to not work is detrimental to the United States.

Quote:
Persons within the United States seeking to trade key US energy commodities – US crude oil, gasoline, and heating oil futures – are able to avoid all US market oversight or reporting requirements by routing their trades through the ICE Futures exchange in London instead of the NYMEX in New York.