Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
TRAILERKING, Where in the world have you been? I mean that literally, because I believe cockroaches are found living with humans in almost every place we live on earth. A researcher friend has found them in his quarters in Antarctica! They aren't fun, but i wouldn't abandon the the RV because of them. Taking out all the food has been a good start, their numbers will be reduced. Using the foggers as have been recommended is the next step. Raid Max DEEP REACH Concentrated Fogger - Walmart.com

Be aware, they will be back, they always are. I taught science for 30 years and our school was sprayed every week. It would chase them off the floor up to the ceiling where they would occasionally fall. Any poster taped to the wall always had a few trapped in the tape. Just the cycle of life. It was a suburban school built in 1964. Because of regulations, the bug spray used wasn't very potent in a school setting, so they were always around.

By the way, in the 1870's many residents of New Orleans swore by a tea made from toasted, ground up roaches. It was a medicinal tea used to cure many illnesses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
If it was that big it was probably an American cockroach. If you aren't seeing any more I wouldn't worry too much about it. The really persistent roach, the German cockroach is the one that can rapidly become a problem. When the female lays down an egg capsule it can hatch out anywhere from 18 to 36 baby roaches. It depends a lot on what part of the country you live in, but I spent over 10 years working in pest control and saw very few infestations of the American cockroach. German cockroach infestations though were multiple daily service calls.

rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #17

We tried Boric acid and most other approaches tp getting rid of them. They are the state pet in Florida.

Anyway, the best solution we found was Terro Roach Bait. As long as it's around they aren't.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #18

Try the bug bombs, they do not blow up, they spray a very fine mist into a vapor cloud and it goes everywhere there is an opening. If it does not kill them it should drive them out for sure. WIth that said, and if you go the route besure to remove any food products, empty everything out of the rig, get rid of any old boxes or paper (they will feed on it if nothing else is around. TURN OFF ALL PILOT LIGHTS and anything electrical. Place two units in the rig one mid front and one in bed room and set them off. Leave rig and close the door. Open a bay and set one off in there. Next day go inside, It will be safe. use a good cleaner and wash/wipe all your surface areas. Before putting your stuff back in, wash everything. Now enjoy your rig. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought there may be no sign of any because the A/C is set so cold. Soyesterday I shut it down and ran the heat through the night. At 80 F that should convince them?? Well this morning still nothing. I still don't know if I should be happy or what. I know I seen that thing that one evening. With an American roach could there be a chance that there was only one big one and now it's gone? I always thought if there was one then there were a ton of them in hiding. I've seen roaches before and they were small pale, almost transperant ones but nothing like this. It was darker and about 1-1/2" long. I didn't know what it was as it caught me off guard but when it took off toward the wall and vanished it just appeared to be the same nature of a roach. My wife keeps saying I was seeing things.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
There is NEVER just one! Try the foggers, they also kill spiders and other pests that inhabit the same places we do.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do the Foggers damage any of the interior finishings such as woodwork on cabinetry, fabrics such as ceiling and walls??
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Do the Foggers damage any of the interior finishings such as woodwork on cabinetry, fabrics such as ceiling and walls??
There are different types of foggers: some put off a mist; others put off a gas; I don't like the ones that put off a mist, they leave a film on everything, the ones that put off a gass are more expensive but they don't leave a mess to clean up. Open all your draws and doors so the gas can penetrate through everything.
I buy the ones that put off a mist to put off in my attic at home, the ones that put off a gas for the motorhome, treet both places every year, see very few of the florida pets after treetment.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #23

all this gives me just one more reason why I would never live in Florida
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #24

My goodness, such a fuss over one bug. I would suggest you never go to Fl, because you will eventually get a Palmetto bug, a roach, ants, or maybe even a snake in your house. Yesterday, in TN, we found a wood roach on the steps to the motorhome. Last week we had a lacewing on the television set, and last month in IN a praying mantis on the windshield, and a mouse probably looking for a warm winter home was trying to nest under the slide out. If you are worried, exterminate or have it done professionally. In our Fl stick and brick we have a bug man there once a month. Typically all we see are an occasional dead bug there, but once in a while one escapes (or maybe is immune) and it is still alive when we see it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
the ones that put off a gass are more expensive but they don't leave a mess to clean up.
What are the brand are the Gas ones? Where to get them?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If "Palmetto" is just an allegant name for a roach, it's still a roach and one roach is TOO much for me to handle.
So sorry to offend any Florida residents.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Palmetto, Water bug, cockroach names used for the 'big' ones in Florida. I used to have an aquarium full of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches in my classroom. They were great for meetings with the Principal. I'd put one on my tie as a 'decoration' and the meetings went quickly. Fed them a banana or apple slice every couple of days, very low maintenance pet.

Insects are on this planet, and we reap many benefits from them. We'd be up to our 'arses' in dead animals if insects and bacteria didn't break them down. Check out what kinds of microscopic critters are living in your eyelashes, hair follicles, etc. Makes roaches seem sort of benign.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Set off a bug-bomb inside and then spray all of the lockers with a good roach spray...or just call a professional.

Ken
Now there's a Robin Williams moment!!!"