Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2005, 05:34 AM   #15

I had a similar thing happen to me on the way to Fl. It was in GA somewhere on I-95. I was following and older gentleman and a woman was with him. He was doing 60, 65 and then back to 55. So I started to pass him. He was driving a small car. I got to about 70 and he passed me in his lane and had to be doing at least 75. So I let off and got back over into the right lane. He started in again at not staying at the same speed. So at 55 I passed him and finally got in front of him. On the CB there was notice of a slow down up ahead so I was looking for tail lights coming on and they were. So I let up and had my foot on the brake. There was quite a distance from me to the next vehicle. I look in my mirror and the guy I just passed is passing me. He pulls right in front of me and on comes his brakes.. And I meam right in front of me. As luck as it there was a bridge up ahead and lots of room on the right side of him. All tail lights on ahead and this guy pulls this S..t. My brakes went on and I knew I would run over him. I pulled to the right and got around him OK. Now in front him he pulls over to the left and all traffic comes to a slow down. I never saw him again as his lane came to a stop. I don't know what his problem was only that maybe he didn't want to be in back of a large vehicle. It sent my heart to a point where it had never been before. If this ever happens to me again 911 will be called if I can get the vehicle #. Driving the way he was he should of been on a county road, not on I-95. After this was over with I must say that the Workhorse I was driving done a good job of handling the quick turns. The closets didn't make out to good but that was not a problem. Just always remember it could happen to anyone.

Winnebago Adverturer 2004 35U Cypress Green Metallic
Dick N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #16

.....I was on a 4 lane road in about 1974 when a car decided that he didn' like Driver Education Cars for whatever reason and as he passed us on the left hand side of the Driver Education Car car-giving all the kids the finger-the car in front of him stopped dead....he was looking at us and not at the car in front of him......we just HAD to stay around till t he police came and he was sighted for ACD and the kids in the car gave statements to the cops about his giving the finger etc.....made my day....but that was before Road Rage became popular....geof kaye
Old 01-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
....I'D RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6 BECAUSE OF ONE!....GEOF KAYE <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know whether to question your meaning here or just to leave it well enough alone. Maybe it is in regards to your earlier posts in this thread.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #18

That is one situation we have experienced many times. The smaller nimbler vehicle entering the highway while we could not pull over because of traffic. I notice that many of them are talking on cell phones, or don't even glance over until they are at the end of the ramp, then get upset when they finally notice a one ton dually diesel pulling a large 5th wheel!

The operative term here is "merging," an apparently lost art. You have two pedals that facilitate this. The "go" pedal, and the "stop" pedal.

Merging safely can involve acceleration as well as braking. And it isn't us bigger rigs that forget to merge, it is usually the car that can accelerate or slow down easily to merge!

But if you check with your local Highway patrol, many areas (not all) would consider you at fault in that situation if you accelerated or slowed down, and as a result of the person entering the controlled access road not being able to judge your speed, because you did not hold steady, the fault could be yours.

That surprised me because until I was an RVr, if someone was merging, I'd slow down or speed for them, or if they looked inattentive, speed up to get out of their way.

But with our long times to accelerate or slow down when towing heavy, we can't help the yoyo out that cannot merge.

I also encounter the folks who go gang busters to the end of the ramp, then look, and screech to a stop ten feet from traffic. No fun when behind them and towing heavy. Then try to accelerate to merge with traffic with only 30 feet of ramp left.

I also agree you did the right thing.

I am probably the kind that would win in any armed confrontation except being taken from behind with no warning. For me to stop and encourage a confrontation, just for that personal release from my adrenaline rush, incurred by the other's actions, would be murder pure and simple.

It would be another thing entirely were there to have been shots fired from the other vehicle.

How people interpret the fight or flight experience, when adrenaline pumps, the heart rate goes up, and time seems to slow down, makes a lot of difference too. Some interpret the shaking as fear, and give in to it, others interpret the shaking as being able to overcome anything, and vent all the daily slurs and slights they experience, seemingly just waiting for an excuse to explode. But only when they have the anonymity, and the advantage.

There is a third option for thinking people which you took.

Avoidance. That person was a borderline or actual sociopath. You were their "excuse" to get even for all the perceived slights of their miserable life. Believe me, it is miserable.

Those types are the wife, dog, and child beaters. They are the flamers online who derive pleasure from hurting others.

They get the same anonymity from abusing a person on the road, who obviously cannot follow them, or manuever as well as they can, because they are towing heavy.

Just like beating up on smaller wives, children, and helpless pets.

When cornered, they will be totally unpredictable as their fear drives them, not their minds.

Never let your fear drive you. Courage is not the absence of fear, but doing the right thing in spite of it. Be courageous.

But always have an equalizer when the sociopath goes beyond "harassment." Know how and when to use it. More importantly, when not to use it.

Whether you pull a small pop up, or a big rig, you will occasionally run into the folks that haven't a clue, or have a chip on their shoulder, on the road.

I've had a few of the same type of situations. Made it through them all.

Total count using avoidance/thinking? Us 0 dead or injured, none of us in jail. Them 0 dead or injured, four in jail.

They lived to suffer another day. Better revenge in my book than putting them out of their misery. That is the court's job, not mine, when avoidable.

Sure I have back up. Just like I have a spare tire. But I don't go out looking for things that can puncture my tires, just so I can use the spare tire. Too much hassle!

Unless I have a "thing" about having to "prove" I can change the tire. Which indicates my doubts to start with no?

RVing is supposed to be fun folks.

Non carborundum illegitimi sunt!
RV Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote