Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Last weekend we went to a seminar at the NC State Vet. school in Raleigh NC. I decided to pull the TT up there and spend the night at the NC State Fair Grounds so we would not have to get up so early on Saturday morning to drive the 100 miles up there. It only cost $15 a night for full hook up.
On the way home Saturday night we are traveling down US 264 which is a 4 lane limited access highway with a speed limit of 70 MPH. I am going 65 and am in the right lane minding my own business. I see a car on the on ramp geting ready to mirge. I look in my mirror to see if I can get over to let him merge but there is a car right next to the TT, so I just stay in my lane. The next thing I know the SUV that was on the on ramp is right next to me on the sholder of the road going 65. He ovously is angry with me for not letting him on the highway. He has to back off for a road sign. Then I see him coming around me in the left lane then he changes lanes and gets right in front of me and slams on brakes. As you all know a Dodge 2500 with 10000 lbs. of TT behind it does not stop on a dime. I do manage to keep from hitting him, but he keeps on and on doing it. Then I think of just stopping so I start to pull off of the road and so does he. I then said no I am not going to stop and have a confrontation here on the side of the road, he might have a gun and shoot me. So I step on it and start to regain speed and he does the same and keeps messing with me for a few more miles. He then goes on up ahead and starts driving normal, but takes the next exit and gets right back on and passes me again. When we got to Greenville NC I would have normally take the by-pass around, but I saw him turn on the by-pass so I decided to go on through the town so I would not have to deal with him again.
I can think of a few thing that we should have done, but at the time all I could think of was just keeping my truck under control. Needless to say it was all very scary.
I guess he thought he had the right-of-way, but I always thought the traffic that is already on the highway has the right-of-way and the merging traffic had to yeld. Times like that I wish I had a James Bond vehicle with the machine guns in the front.

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Last weekend we went to a seminar at the NC State Vet. school in Raleigh NC. I decided to pull the TT up there and spend the night at the NC State Fair Grounds so we would not have to get up so early on Saturday morning to drive the 100 miles up there. It only cost $15 a night for full hook up.
On the way home Saturday night we are traveling down US 264 which is a 4 lane limited access highway with a speed limit of 70 MPH. I am going 65 and am in the right lane minding my own business. I see a car on the on ramp geting ready to mirge. I look in my mirror to see if I can get over to let him merge but there is a car right next to the TT, so I just stay in my lane. The next thing I know the SUV that was on the on ramp is right next to me on the sholder of the road going 65. He ovously is angry with me for not letting him on the highway. He has to back off for a road sign. Then I see him coming around me in the left lane then he changes lanes and gets right in front of me and slams on brakes. As you all know a Dodge 2500 with 10000 lbs. of TT behind it does not stop on a dime. I do manage to keep from hitting him, but he keeps on and on doing it. Then I think of just stopping so I start to pull off of the road and so does he. I then said no I am not going to stop and have a confrontation here on the side of the road, he might have a gun and shoot me. So I step on it and start to regain speed and he does the same and keeps messing with me for a few more miles. He then goes on up ahead and starts driving normal, but takes the next exit and gets right back on and passes me again. When we got to Greenville NC I would have normally take the by-pass around, but I saw him turn on the by-pass so I decided to go on through the town so I would not have to deal with him again.
I can think of a few thing that we should have done, but at the time all I could think of was just keeping my truck under control. Needless to say it was all very scary.
I guess he thought he had the right-of-way, but I always thought the traffic that is already on the highway has the right-of-way and the merging traffic had to yeld. Times like that I wish I had a James Bond vehicle with the machine guns in the front.

Bill

Old 01-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess he thought he had the right-of-way, but I always thought the traffic that is already on the highway has the right-of-way and the merging traffic had to yeld. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did have the right of way and as you said, you would have moved left anyway if a vehicle had not been in the way. Some people are just idiots and you did well to avoid a confrontation. When it happens again, call 911 on a cell phone and report the incident. Sometime when the idiot sees you have a phone up to your ear it will scare them off. That is if they think you are calling the police. Also when calling 911 there is a possibility there is a police car close by that might be able to stop the guy.
After 18 years in police work I have come to the conclusion that a bumper sticker I recently saw sums up everthing very simply. It said "**** Humans"
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #4

I agree, get the license number and call 911. You did everything you could given the situation. Try to put it behind you now. I know that can be difficult.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #5

I think you used excellent judgement in this situation. As up tight as it can make you, you just need to realize this rage is way out of proportion. The guy either has a mental problem or is on some type of drug.

Now if you can think of a way to get over the 'good' guy anger please let me know. I clench my teeth for days afterward. Art
Old 01-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #6

I agree....911 with the plate # and drive. If I could of gotten off the road and had him out of his SUV approaching me...I would take off and try to use traffic to block him from getting in front or along side of me till State Police arrived....keep him boxed in....CB with a friendly trucker would of been helpful for that.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #7

I had a simular situation. A guy tried to cut me off with a ford ranger I had nowhere to go and locked it up with slide in and 24 foot hauler on back. I boxed him in so as he couldn't get out and had a dialog with him (he wisely wouldn't get out of the truck!) his reply was what's your problem? I had my derectional on! He's lucky I wasn't a tamdom rig or a log hauler. I have now got a cell phone and will call in someone be an a-hole. Scotty.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I agree you did great, We have on star and I would have used it If it was me they have tracking ability and can keep an eye on you. Sometimes even a cell phone to your ear or your co-pilots will work, they don't know if you have signal or not. I would never stop or pull off.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #9

......cell phone- CB- .357 MAG....all drivers should have easy access to them these days....I've use 2 out of three in the last 30 years on the road......geof kaye
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAYERIVERCITY:
......cell phone- CB- .357 MAG....all drivers should have easy access to them these days....I've use 2 out of three in the last 30 years on the road......geof kaye <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a cell phone, ham 2-meter radio and a 357 MAG ...but in NO WAY would I ever attempt to use the weapon in a road rage. That would be a quick way to get locked up for a long long time. I think many here on iRV2 would agree with me ...what say folks?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #11

Totally agree Rich! It would quickly become a very sad world if everyone started shooting at folks they considered a-holes!

While I find no fault with the original poster's actions, I fully realise that no one wants to follow a 12' high trailer down the road and the majority will try their darnest to get ahead of you. As we are in no great hurry, and faced with the situation where I cannot pull left to allow entering traffic to merge, I would likely slow and waive him on. The thirty seconds or whatever is lost is well worth it to my peace of mind and saves me from getting a piece of his mind!!!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cell phone and a call to 911 with the license and info and his driving is endangering your life is the way to go. And insist that an officer respond. No way I'd pull off without an LEO there.

There are way too many drivers out there that do not have any idea about the rules of right of way or common sense. Since he was entering your high speed traffic from a slow speed area, he is supposed to wait until there is a safe opporitunity to match his speed to the highway and merge in.

Ken
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #13

This situation reminds me of a saying we had at work, "a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #14

....I'D RATHER BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6 BECAUSE OF ONE!....GEOF KAYE