Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #15

Failed for lack of enforcement.

For those who want to cut their land line bear in mind the current system reliability. The last I knew the cell system is set up to fail over to emergency calls only if there is a large area problem. That prioritizes Public Service who use it for dispatch as it is more secure than the old car/truck radios. It also assumes the towers will still be working. The old wire line system is almost totally independent of local power, has no over ride and is capable of carrying much more traffic in a given area. In short when the power goes off and the cable Internet goes down I can still pick up my land line and complain or call for help much more reliably than I can with a cell.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #16

My brother has mentioned the nomorobo so I will have to give that a try. As mentioned, do not call list is a waste of time since I have done that a few times. Thanks for the feed back.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #17

We have a landline because we sit in a 'hole'
We have a cell phone for when out an about

Both have voice mail.

After 25 yrs of being tethered to a phone 24/7 for the job I don't answer any phone anymore BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TOO.

IF call IS important.......
The landline 'announces' who is calling
Cell phone displays phone number

I then make a decision
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OOMA here for landline. They have an excellent call blocking service. A large database that is updated via crowd sharing. Also you can enter your own numbers to be blocked. Still not foolproof but has nearly eliminated unwanted calls for us, which the quantity used to be really bad.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
If, it is supported by your phone company. Of which I don't see many.

https://www.nomorobo.com/signup
Mine not supported, so I use a machine called cpr call blocker. Has worked well for the last couple of years.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Mine not supported, so I use a machine called cpr call blocker. Has worked well for the last couple of years.
The problem I seem to have is I never get a call from the same number twice so it is not going to work just by blocking a number calling. I can do this on my cell phone but then I will get another call from another part of the country the next day or so. If I ever try and call the number back they are always disconnected or not in use. I have never understood how that can be but it never ends.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #21

The do not call list is a joke. It's only going to block legitimate phone telemarketers. Unfortunately most of the calls come from illegal marketers and very few are weeded out. Getting rid of the land line only means the calls will start coming in on your cell phone.
Because I have triple play with Comcast I called and inquired about getting Robocall and they told me it was not available.

What amazes me is that we can find out what it happening in other galaxies. Yet the phone companies can't determine the origination of these calls. If they can find them....bulldoze the buildings. That will at least stop them for a short while.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The do not call list is a joke. It's only going to block legitimate phone telemarketers. Unfortunately most of the calls come from illegal marketers and very few are weeded out. Getting rid of the land line only means the calls will start coming in on your cell phone.
Because I have triple play with Comcast I called and inquired about getting Robocall and they told me it was not available.

What amazes me is that we can find out what it happening in other galaxies. Yet the phone companies can't determine the origination of these calls. If they can find them....bulldoze the buildings. That will at least stop them for a short while.
I'm with you

I'd like to find out where Card Member Services is and pay them a little visit
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #23

For me the dead give away is the area code that shows up. If I don't recognize it, I don't answer. I also have no problem hanging up in mid sentence when I do answer. I never signed any agreement that said I had to be polite to one of those phone scammers. The one that bothers me the most is when I get one raising money for the police. I ask if they're in any way associated with the police and 99% of the time they're not. I then ask what's the percentage of the donation that actually goes to the police. It's usually 10%. That's when I say no thanks. I'll make a direct donation.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #24

Got rid of our land line. If the caller is not in my contacts on my phone I don't let it go to VM, I end the call. You have some time while it's ringing to do that.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I assign a ring tone to the people on my phone list that I talk too, if I get a robo call it will ring different and I don't answer the phone. I get very few calls. The land line is on a answer machine and all calls are screened. Those that call on land line learned to keep talking until I pick up/ Or not.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #26

I have land line because I can not hear well on cell calls. Caller ID is all I need.
If I don't know the callers ID no answer.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #27
IC2

We have Time Warner VOIP/land line service. As far as scamming calls - no @#$% to stop them. During the political primary season we got calls from candidates we've never heard of and from parties such as Green, Working Families as well as the usual. If it's an 800 type number - not a chance will it be answered. What the robo folks have done is originate calls from the local area code as a way around the out of area calls. Then there are the calls from India at all hours and often by a speaker with an accent that is impossible to understand. Then cell phones - the DWs Verizon and my burner Trac phone still get solicitation calls. There is no salvation!!!!!!!

Like another poster said, many years being tied to a phone 24/7/365 as I often had people working on the other side of the world - and sometimes they needed to discuss things, i.e. had a broken part, a demanding customer or, yes, get out of jail - and now I just wont answer a phone unless the DW threatens me with personal body damage.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are even getting a few telemarketer calls on our cell phones!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote