Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #29

6 more bodies in Mexican border pits; total at 183 - World news - Americas - msnbc.com

For those going to Tamaulipas region. Now I might know of a missing person who was on a bus going thru border. Maybe he hasn't written back to me because he is one of the dead ones. Of course we warned him to not be there and if it was him, I bet he is wishing he listened more. I hope he believes in the afterlife, because he might be one of them now there. That's a lot of people to I.D. upon reading this story.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
The RV club next to us is planning a trip to Rocky Point Mexico. There was just a warning on TV about travel there as the local sheriff was just shot. I am very hesitant to go even with a few other RVs going. Anyone been there lately or have any thoughts?
Actually I'm surprised you are even asking this question. It's as obvious as the nose on your face that Mexico at this time is the most dangerous place on the planet. EVEN comparing Afghanistan and Libya. With all due respect.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Offered without comment - an article in today's Houston Chronicle.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Offered without comment - an article in today's Houston Chronicle.

Rusty
You wouldn't think a comment would be needed. But then again I wonder why the question is asked.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #33

Since this is still going on I'll add a little fuel to the fire!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Michael/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]"The number of U.S. citizens killed in Mexico has more than doubled to 78 in 2009 from 37 in 2007, according to the U.S. State Department's annual count. No figures were available for the first two months of 2010."

"The annual murder rate for the estimated 500,000 American citizens in Mexico at any one time has risen — but still remains lower than in some U.S. cities: about 15 per 100,000. Baltimore's 2009 homicide rate was 37 per 100,000 residents."

Mexico's drug war takes toll on USA

New Orleans has the highest murder rate at 52 per 100,000. Population 336,425 with 174 murders.

Richmond, CA population 102,556 with 47 murders.

Detroit population 908,441 with 361 murders.

Number 9 of the top ten US cities is Birmingham, Al with a population of 227,373, 65 murders.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...te_remain.html

I'm sure most of you watched the news this morning about the storms hitting the SE, last death toll I saw from yesterday was 220! That's in addition to last weeks storms that killed many people. My heart goes out to those people.

The real tragedy is Japan! It's not only the thousands who have died but the millions who will be affected long term from radiation.

So tell me where do you feel safe?

Sadly many people around the world are dieing needlessly. Even sadder is the fact that we can cure the problem in Mexico, and if we did it we would save tens of Billions of dollars!

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #34

No way I'd even consider going there.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
No more crossing the border...

After getting dental work done for the past five years in Nogales, Mexico I have saved a lot of money, but I have now stopped going across the border and I am paying full price in the USA. Sad situation there and I feel sorry for the Mexican people. I don't see this changing in the near future. Joe
Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #36

If you get murdered in Mexico by the Cartel, or by anyone else, how do you get buried back in our country? Is your body frisked at border for bullet holes? Probably cannot get home because you don't know anyone who can vouch for you that you got killed in Mexico by bullets. And what arrangements do you have to have someone drive your RV back to U.S. again? In a war zone anything is possible.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I have been to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco), Matamoros, Los Algodones, in last few years. As reported, some 35K people have been slaughtered in last four years in MX and that has my attention but then maybe that’s just being “paranoid”. It seems there were initially islands of violence in MX but the islands are growing and you can do all the “homework” you want but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time it could be curtains. I’ll stay on this side of the border for now as I don’t see the violence subsiding anytime soon.
BTF
I agree.

Let's see, you are basically in a lawless country with gangs of drug dealers killing each other and a lot people who have to be criminals to survive with a $200,000 + coach and cash in your pockets.... What could go wrong?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live less than 2 miles from the Mexican Border. I go to Wal-mart close to my house for my Mexico experience or the Wells Fargo Bank nine times out of ten I get asked in Spanish if I want cash back from my deposit or after I use my ATM card.

You can have Mexico.....enjoy yourselves.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
I live less than 2 miles from the Mexican Border. I go to Wal-mart close to my house for my Mexico experience or the Wells Fargo Bank nine times out of ten I get asked in Spanish if I want cash back from my deposit or after I use my ATM card.

You can have Mexico.....enjoy yourselves.
Absolutely!! Well Said!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For another look at things go see the recently released film "8 Murders A Day"... Relates to Juarez, MX which is probably the worst example of what is going on in Mexico, but none-the-less applicable the all Mexico as relates to the drug trafficking issues. After seeing the film, one could easily find a new sympathy for those seeking to escape from what is going on down there, risking their lives and well being without so much as a second thought, (as I think I surely would if I was in their situation).

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #41

Here is a map of the travel advisories.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Long lines out of Mexico

When I was going to Nogales, Mexico [NOT NOW] I was always amazed that I could walk right in, but coming back to the USA was a different story. I waited in line for 45 minutes to an hour when on foot. I only drove in once and coming back took over an hour in line. I had to show a passport. Before passports were required a drivers license was sufficient. The majority of people in line were Mexican. There are many things in the US that are less expensive and shopping is what a lot of Mexican people do in the US.

One time I was told that there was a faster way out. A tip was required and it would be shown to me. Sure enough, for a dollar I was shown a route that required more walking but hardly any line. It was worth a dollar, but that exit did not open until 10:00am. I did have some occasions to use that route because of the laid back attitude with dental appointments. A 9:00am appointment really meant 9:20, but the dental work was as good as in the US and 1/3 the cost.

The one time that I drove in, I couldn't find a parking place anywhere near the dentist so I parked in a small private lot. I was early and the lot was almost empty. When I got back to the lot the young man running the parking lot said that I should wait while he worked my car out. The lot was full now and my car was buried way in the back. That fellow worked at moving cars like a jig-saw puzzle for 15 minutes. When he finally got my car out he asked for one dollar! I gave him a five. I was amazed what he would do for one dollar.

So now with all the violence I would guess that the parking lots are mostly empty and the stores do not have customers. I feel sorry for the Mexican people on the border because they really depend on American tourists to make a living, even if it is just one dollar at a time.