Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Just got off the internet {Skype} with friends in Rocky Point and asked them about the Cop that got shot in OP #1 It is not true that this just happen.
This happen over a year ago and all is quiet and peaceful since than in Rocky Point.
He is also alive and well.
I know someone will jump in and say see it's true they did shot a cop in Rocky Point, Mexico.
Hello cops are shot in the USA all the time, it is a hazard of the job. Tampa Fl just had 2 shot in the past year, Clearwater, FL lost 3 and than 2 more within a 6 week period.
I am happy that many of my fellow RVers are not going to Rocky Point as they are the ones if they did go would be so scared they would not have a good time and would make every one around them feel sorry for them and they would not enjoy themselves.
AS FDR said "We have nothing to FEAR but FEAR itself". If you Fear for your safety do not go. If you FEEL safe then GO.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #44

Rocky Point

We have been here for a week and it has been wonderful. Tons of things to do, golf, dinner cruise, 4 wheeling, jet skies etc etc. Had the coach washed and HAND waxed for $1.50 a foot!!! The couple across from us had the entire front of his 5th wheel hand painted with very detailed work of a mountain and deserd area. They also painted (by hand) both sides of his 5th wheel---$350. Guy had his complete toad painted and some body work done-$400!!! The people here have thanked us for coming. They are really struggling!! Been down town several times buying shrimp and fish. I was a little skiddish at first but very glad we did the trip. My two cents

Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #45

Make sure you get you brakes done here: Great Mexican vehicle service.

AM - Repair report
Well, MsTioga's time at Kearny-Pearson Ford has been an interesting experience! I am not sure if I mentioned to you that MsTioga's brakes were not working right. Even after Ford replaced MsTioga's front brakes a couple of days ago, the brake pedal felt wrong. The pedal went almost to the floor and required an extraordinary amount of force to stop MsTioga quickly. So, yesterday I gave Ford the OK to check out the rear brakes.

You may recall that last January, Ramon the mechanic in Aticama, Mexico gave MsTioga a rear brake job. However, apparently Ramon made some mistakes! The mechanic at Ford showed me what the problems were. I saw with my own eyes, that some of the springs and the adjuster were broken. Ramon the mechanic did not replace some broken brake springs, and instead used wire which he attached to the broken spring in order to connect the spring to the brake. Some springs were obviously worn, and were simply not replaced by Ramon. Also, there is a big and small brake shoe and the positions of these two shoes were reversed.

In short, the rear brakes actually did not work at all. Since Ramon's brake job last January, MsTioga has been stopping using ONLY her front brakes! Wow!

Tioga George Blog
Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
FLYING BUTCH
Hope you met up with Dave and Marlyn. They send out e-mails monthly. If Steve and Phylis are still there say Hello from Joe and Barbara
Enjoy and put a shrimp or two on the barbie for me.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #47

The rest of the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
Just got off the internet {Skype} with friends in Rocky Point and asked them about the Cop that got shot in OP #1 It is not true that this just happen.
This happen over a year ago and all is quiet and peaceful since than in Rocky Point.
He is also alive and well.
I know someone will jump in and say see it's true they did shot a cop in Rocky Point, Mexico.
Hello cops are shot in the USA all the time, it is a hazard of the job. Tampa Fl just had 2 shot in the past year, Clearwater, FL lost 3 and than 2 more within a 6 week period.
I am happy that many of my fellow RVers are not going to Rocky Point as they are the ones if they did go would be so scared they would not have a good time and would make every one around them feel sorry for them and they would not enjoy themselves.
AS FDR said "We have nothing to FEAR but FEAR itself". If you Fear for your safety do not go. If you FEEL safe then GO.
Stories float around and some have truth and others are flat out lies. This one however is mixed up with a previous story. A year ago the Chief of Police was shot several times on a Sunday afternoon. He spent several months recovering in a hospital in Hermosillo. He's alive and no longer with the police force. That being said, another office WAS shot and killed in April. His girl friend stayed with a friend of ours. He was tied up in his house, tortured for over five hours and then shot in the head. The official story that the major reported was that it was a lovers triangle. Everyone in town new that wasn't true and prompted a protest from fellow officers. So, the fact is there was an officer killed and it was very tragic. There are officers killed in every city on the planet in the line of duty. It's a hazadous job. I've lived in Mexico for over three years and have never once had a problem or known of fellow Americans or Canadians having problems. And now, you have, "The rest of the story"..and the truth.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Mothership
Just got back from 10 days in Mexico in the area of Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada. Came back with our heads intact, and never even heard one gun shot. We will be going back in July. It's sad there is so much paranoia.
Mothership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad you had a good trip. I'm not sure its as much paranoia as it is believing the things you read read and see are real. My friend just spent two weeks in Baghdad and said he never heard a shot but that doesn't make me want to go.

I hope your next trip is just as safe.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #50

I ride a Harley. Have for over 45 years now. Some people think I'm crazy for riding others envy me. I know the risks each time I start it and wonder "is this going to be the day"? I guess for me the risk is worth the ride. Going to Mexico now is also taking a risk and you need to weigh it against the benefits. If you think there is no risk then you are a fool. If you accept the risk then it's your choice go and have fun.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I ride a Harley. Have for over 45 years now. Some people think I'm crazy for riding others envy me. I know the risks each time I start it and wonder "is this going to be the day"? I guess for me the risk is worth the ride. Going to Mexico now is also taking a risk and you need to weigh it against the benefits. If you think there is no risk then you are a fool. If you accept the risk then it's your choice go and have fun.
Well said!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I'm glad you had a good trip. I'm not sure its as much paranoia as it is believing the things you read read and see are real. My friend just spent two weeks in Baghdad and said he never heard a shot but that doesn't make me want to go.

I hope your next trip is just as safe.
Jim,
That's like saying that you wouldn't go to Japan because thousands of Japanese lost their lives from radiation poisoning or you wouldn't visit Vietnam because 58,000 Americans lost their lives there. Just because a region was dangerous at one time doesn't mean it is as dangerous today as situations continually change.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #53

Cmon down to Mexico, we're just a sleepy town by the Ocean.
Body Count Reaches 218 in Mexico Mass Graves...don't let that scare you, we have great Tacos. I'm sure YOU will be safe, because it ALWAYS happens to the other guy - right.

Here's some 218 people that must have been paranoid.

Body Count Reaches 218 in Mexico Mass Graves | EUTimes.net

The mass graves in Durango have now yielded more bodies than those in the northeastern state of Tamaulipas, where 183 bodies were found in the city of San Fernando.

The bodies found in the mass graves in Tamaulipas are believed to be those of people who were kidnapped by the Zetas drug cartel while traveling through San Fernando on buses and were later murdered.

The mass graves were found in the wake of reports that gunmen had forced men off buses headed for Reynosa, located across the border from McAllen, Texas, between March 19 and March 31.