Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Had mine done 10 years ago. Worst of 3 different ops. Slept in recliner for 2 weeks. Worst part of the shoulder was having my arm strapped to the belly for 10 days. VERY inconvenient. Do the therapy per instructions and it will get better! During recovery be sure to use one of the GOOD shoulder slings or whatever they call it. The doctor gave me a cheap one which I felt was not very comfortable. My son came over, took one look and went home and brought me the one he used when he had his problem. It had a bladder it and you could run ice water in and out of it. Boy did that make a difference! Be advised!
Best of luck and hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery!

BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
By the way, there is one thing I did not mention in my last post . You will need a few tops that you can cut the side and bottom of the arm (if it has sleeve) and reattach with pins or Velcro. You will need these as you will not be able to move the arm to get dressed or undressed. Once the wife found out what to do, she made three or four of them up.
You will understand once you see the position of your arm and where it has to stay for 4n to 6 weeks.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #17

My wife has had both shoulders done. The first about 5 years ago, the second last year. Both have been successful, but the second shoulder was damaged worse than the first one and there's some loss of range of motion. Both sides had significant tearing and would not have recovered without surgery.

The first one was done with conventional knife surgery. The second was with remotely operated micro tools and there's only a very small scar.

The surgeon who did the later one had her in PT within a few days and she only wore the full sling for about 10 days. She got the therapist to convince Medicare to give her a second period of treatment and is doing fine now.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #18

As promised, I am posting on my experience after having the surgery this past Monday. All in all, the surgery went well. They found a tear on the front rotator cuff area that did not show in the MRI. The calcium buildup was fixed as was the tear. Even though it has only been 4 days since my surgery, I can feel a positive change in my shoulder. Yes I have pain meds and yes I am wearing a rather large shoulder sling/pillow "thingy", but I can actually feel an improvement in my original problem. I will start PT on Monday and hopefully I will get the range of motion back that I need (and had). I will post more as time allows.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kathy,
Consider that you will not be able to bathe yourself. It's going to be showers for a while and DH is going to be doing the scrubbing - happy for him - woe is you, well, my DW had to put up with ME.

Also as stated dressing yourself and putting on that upper undergarment is not going to be done by yourself. DH will be assisting you in your dressing. My DW wears the large open neck blouses and they are not tucked in at the waist. She had to step into them and I would gently pull them up over her surgery arm and then over her head and the other arm would go in.

Basically you are going to be depending on DH for many of the common things you do. You'll find yourself setting milestones like dressing yourself, driving, etc.

Wish you the best.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Thankfu to all for your blessings andfeedback...the cortisone shots were no help, and last night i moved in such a way that i realize the inevitable. i just want to get through to late Sept. after my oldest daughters wedding. BUT...i dont know, the discomfort is almost making feel sick. As i said my big challenge is my left hand limitations. i think I will push for some OT intervention to help out gaining ideas and recomndations on how i will be able to maximize the potential function of my stubby hand. like brushing my teeth, i thought there might be some OT adaptive equipment to hold my toothbrush and brush to brush my hair. i have begun to practice holding my paintbrush with my mouth, and have practiced painting roses, my favorite object.
this is difficult and i dont want to have a lot of nursing care.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You do have obstacles to overcome, don't you? That is where DH is going to come in. With an electric toothbrush, he can basically hold it still and you can move your mouth around. For the time being, use a sling as much as possible on the rotator cuff arm. You may find a comfortable spot that will reduce, not eliminate, some of the pain by relieving pressure. My two arms were different. The left I rested on the arm of the recliner and it helped. The right I held with the forearm on top of my head and that helped. You have to find the "right" spot.

Will it be difficult for you? Yes. Will it be worth it in the end? About 99.9% of the time it is worth it.

Congratulations on an upcoming new "son" in the family.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Just got back on here, hope you did well with your surgery. Good luck. I have not decided to do, or not to do. Too complicated situation I would be in to rush into it.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #23

[QUOTE=Gorlininc;1593392]I had my rotator cuff done about 3 years ago. Once the surgery was done, my DR said the more pain I can take, the faster I will heal. I really pushed hard on therapy. I had 80% usage in 2 weeks.[QUOTE]

This is basically my story with my "cuff" surgery. Mine was done in 2000 and I'm good as new.
However, everyone reacts to surgery in different ways. Just because I did OK doesn't mean you will too.
Having had spinal surgery, two hips and two knees replaced I strongly believe in following the therapy instructions to the letter.

I wish you well whatever you choose to do. I personally have never regretted going under the knife. Being painfree is good.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #24

whatever you decide to do just make sure you follow up on whatever therapy is prescribed. this is as important as the surgery. if you dont follow the therapy plan you will get no benefit from the surgery
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #25

Can't repeat enough the value of therapy. 2 knees here and 2 knee revisions (so four knees). Therapy defines success of the procedure.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #26

surgery

Dang it, I just had one of my knees replaced again. During rehab on it I was pushing to hard on the stationary bike trying to pedal it and tore my cuff again!!! Very disappointing tearing it while doing rehab on another surgery!!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Dang it, I just had one of my knees replaced again. During rehab on it I was pushing to hard on the stationary bike trying to pedal it and tore my cuff again!!! Very disappointing tearing it while doing rehab on another surgery!!

Lol hate to laugh but I did the same thing! Haven't scheduled the shoulder surgery yet still going that if I ignore the pain it will go away :-).

BTW those knee revisions (medical term for oops guess what?) Hurt
like a mother don't they!

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
1. Having the spouse fully involved in every aspect of our rig is something I highly recommend. One never knows when unexpected situation comes up.

2. Kathy, I have had so many friends get knees, hips and rotor cuff surgery. I can not think of a one of them that wish they had not done it. I am faced with hip replacement and the common thing every one says is PT...PT...PT and in time you get your life back. A buddy of mind had rotor cuff surgery last spring and is doing great!

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote