Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my last surgery for a complete tear in 2000. After seeing the MRI my doctor thought it might be best I leave well enough alone but at 50 years old I still needed to work. I was told at that time that my shoulder would never be the same and as far as any strength I should not count on any. With the PT and all it took about 8 months to get any range of motion. I can lift my right arm above my head but when extending it along with my left it's about six inches shorter than the left arm. The doctor was correct in saying I wouldn't have any strentgth in it as now being 10 years since surgery I can't even lift my right arm from my side forward with just a two pound weight in my hand. I can lift it about a foot and that's it. Sure would like to be able to turn back the clock as that fall I took from 18' did me no good. I guess I can consider myself lucky for just still being here. My last surgean is now on staff at John Hopkins in Maryland.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
After reading ALL the posts, it'll have to wait til next year.
My VA doctor prescribed 800mg Ibuprofen (1 in am, 1 in pm). Helped a lot.
Steve, man I really feel for you. And you are right, being alive is the best option.

Thanks to all who responded, Kerry

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kerry,
My VA doctor told me to get off of ibuprofen because of my age. He said that in older people, Ibuprofen can lead to heart problems.

Darn! I hate getting old, but I don't like the alternative. I have had one rotator cuff repair at age 65, and now I need the other one done. I have had one knee replaced, and now I need the other one done. Does it ever end!!!???
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Had to have my right sholder done twice 3 yrs ago. First time didn't work right second time after two months of torture worked fine. Now I need BOTH knees replaced!! Hope the VA will do it as I no longer have Medicade to help with the Medicare and SS doesn't go that far. Ed
Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kerry. It took me a while to find this post. You wanted to know about my partial shoulder replacement. Partial it was. Done April 2, 2010. Humerus bone and head cut and replaced. Glenoid (socket) looked OK and was left intact. Spare glenoid was on hand, just in case it was needed. Can't tell until surgeon looks inside.

In my case all the cartilage was gone. Before surgery I tried Hyalgan injections into socket area. No help. You might ask about this. So I was sent home after 1.5 days in the hospital with a pain med pump (Ropivacaine) which lasted about 5 days. Vicodin was also prescribed. Needed it after the 5 days. Had to sleep for a week in a recliner and later was able to sleep in bed.

PT started 14 days after operation and consisted mostly of passive movements of my arm. Later on some serious stretching was done by PT guy. Went twice a week for 10 weeks or so. I do exercises at home.

Seems the key is doing exercises as advised. Breaking up scar tissue and keeping it from restricting your movements is the secret.

Right now, left shoulder is moving about 70% of normal and strength is about the same except in above the head movements. There is a painful glitch once in awhile if I keep arm in one position too long and then move it. But it is a lot better than before surgery when it hurt a lot, all the time and even from small movements. Oh yeah, I could drive our Chev Tahoe after a month or so. Put a "suicide knob" on the steering wheel.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
SPECIAL NOTE TO WAYNE THE MARINE.
Think about this my friend. If they would replace all your ''fallin' apart Marine parts with good old US NAVY, SAILOR parts'' it shouldn't take too long that you will become a SAILOR and be in good shape like me ......LOL.....Of course, you would still be pretty ugly....... Think about that my Marine friend......lol...

Lets all vote to bring our people back home soon. How 'bout that folks?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #21

I am fortunate in that a good friend of mine is a PT.
Although it also involved a fractured Scapula, he counseled me in my recovery and it worked out well.

Miy "recovery" was 2 weeks and I could drive with only minor discomfort.

Sure, it hurt a bit, but it is tolerable.

It depends on what you can tolerate.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kerry,
I don't understand why it would be postponed until next year. Rotator cuff tears do not heal, they have to be repaired. You may get to a point where you cannot extend your hand out to your side, and then even more limitation. My personal opinion is to get it done and get it over with.

Seajay, if I had all navy parts you can bet I'd be as ugly looking as you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks guys.
Scooter, that's the information I was looking for. I realize all cases are different, but relatively the same. We need to plan our travels according to recovery time.
Wayne: Went to Nelllis AFB, new doctor, new x-rays, etc.,. I chose to get steroid shots and pain injection and wait to see if that would be the way to go. It's not. The x-rays were really ugly. It's only a matter of when. The cuff tear is pretty minor now.
He will do it all at the same time.
The aging thingy is not for the faint of heart.

Kerry
Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had my 1 year checkup and the doc said I was good and strong. When I had the surgery I did everything that they told me to do and resisted the temptation to overdo. Prior to the surgery I did 50 pushups and 150 situps a day. Now I am back to 50 situps and only 12 pushups, but improving. I will be 72 in 3 weeks.

Joe in Ct.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #25

I can only speak for my cuff repair some 18 years ago, but it sounds like these repairs come in many flavors, so to speak.

Although my cuff was not torn, by the time I went to my Orthopedic Surgeon, I could barely raise my right arm more than 2 feet from my side. And the night pain was incredible. We tried everything for 2 months, but surgery was the only remaining option. The doctor told me that my cuff had become so inflamed over time with healing, scuffing, more healing, more scuffing that the situation was bleak. My not seeing him sooner had made the situation much worse than it should have been. Things got worse, and my shoulder was now almost locked up...and he warned me about bone removal. He stated that if he got in there and was able to remove enough scar tissue to allow rotator cuff movement, recovery, with intense therapy, would be about 2 months. If he had to remove bone to allow reasonable cuff movement, all bets were off and recovery would be a minumum of 6 months. Removing bone in this area where normal movement is supposed to occur really expands the recovery time.

Post op, he told me he had to remove an incredible amount of scar tissue...and bone. He also told me that, because of the damage and bone removal, my shoulder would never be better than 80%. And he was right. 18 years later, I still cannot raise my right arm anywhere near as high as my left, and the pain still flares up from time to time. But one of the most sobering things he told me was to be VERY careful with my left shoulder. Since the right one had been so damaged, I had already been favoring the left. That would get more pronounced down the road as the right one healed. And he was right. Over the next year, I had to have cortisone shots and pt for the left shoulder....I was very close to having that one go down. Whew! The good Doctor told me that of all the sports injuries he repairs, rotator cuffs are the worst for most folks due to night pain and recovery periods.

Like someone else said, these things don't heal themselves. Don't make the same mistake I made. Get 'er fixed ASAP. Just my opinion....
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #26

As several of us attest, this is one instance where time does not heal all wounds, in fact time is the enemy. The longer a shoulder injury is allowed to exist the harder it is to repair successfully. Like I said in the beginning, my left shoulder cannot be repaired, I allowed the injury to exist way too long before seeking medical attention.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two-Niner,

My advice is to find a good Shoulder Surgeon, have it done,. get good therapy and do all that he ( she) says religoueuo,,, relegiou.... er, completely and exactly.. Had my 74 yr old right one done 11 months ago, was a complete RC tear, delayed 6 months due to travel.. It was done "outpatient", went very well, I did exactly as the PT said, continue to do some once a week, and for an old duck, my shoulder is fine..but, throwing a baseball in a couple of weeks, no way...The worst was wearing the " bolster" that imobilizes the arm for about 3 weeks. Once that came off, it was good sailing... DO THE THERAPY, and you will be good.. Driving the MoHo ?, mine was done late January, was back in the MoHo early March...Best of luck... rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you everyone who replied. The situation has changed. New doctor, new x-rays, etc.,..
Things come in three's?

1. Shoulder replacement (x-rays looked really BAD).
2. Shoulder impingement.
3. Rotator cuff repair.

I'm on the fence because of prior commitments, family commitments.

When I was young and stupid I never knew fear. For some reason, now that I'm older and stupid(that never left) timidity has got both legs and holding me back.

I've put this thread in favorites so when the time comes and the pain killers quit working I'll know who to blame. Jump Kerry, jump!! LOL

Thanks again, Kerry