Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Route 66

Any one taken it?? Thinking of seeing it when we come back from Ontario next year, will start from Chigago. We have a 40" RV pulling a trailer. Issues?

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

I've been on bits and pieces of the route, in several states in the flat lands and AZ. From Kingman to Oatman then down to Bullhead City , I would say don't do that section in your MH, particularly towing. No shoulder and many hairpin turns.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Parts are not really there anymore and we tried from Chicago over to CA a few years ago. I was driving a PT Cruiser and Thom was driving his truck pulling a little trailer with his bike on it. Notice I said we tried. Be careful about going thru some of the toll booths thou. They charged Thom for not only the axles on his truck and trailer but also the axle for the bike on the trailer. That was the toll booths in OH by the way.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Parts are not really there anymore and we tried from Chicago over to CA a few years ago. I was driving a PT Cruiser and Thom was driving his truck pulling a little trailer with his bike on it. Notice I said we tried. Be careful about going thru some of the toll booths thou. They charged Thom for not only the axles on his truck and trailer but also the axle for the bike on the trailer. That was the toll booths in OH by the way.
Huh? 66 is not in Ohio. But for sure there are toll booths on the Ohio Turnpike, and they do charge for extra axles. Darned chicken of them to nail you for the axles on a vehicle that was not touching the ground. What next? Charge for bicycle axles too? That turnpike may be sold to a private corporation in the near future. Tolls could get even worse. The state is shooting themselves in the foot if they do the turnpike sale though. Fees on the turnpike if raised will force more and more truck traffic onto alternate roads and beat them up which will be costly for the state to repair.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We are also putting plans together for a trip form NY, New Orleans, Houston, California and return on RT66 in 1/2014-4/2014. We are using RV Adventure videos, RT66, RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions as a guide. We would be interested in any other referance information that you can add.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I agree don't do the Kingman to Oatman run, we took our HM over that section, never again. However, one of these days we also plan to drive the entire lenght. We have driven it from Barstow CA to Flagsaff AZ on the parts that are still accessible and enjoyed every moment, very little traffic and great scenery.

Martin
Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Many parts of 66 are now a secondary road witch see little or no repair and have not for a good many years. Since it was concrete to start with-- it is rough riding.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I just remember that Thom wanted to do as much of 66 as we could from MI to CA and we went by Chicago to start the pick up point. After a while on it we decided that it was not the way to go anymore.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I hope this helps. I am sure some of the info is out of date.
The Mother Road: Historic Route 66

I would camp outside of Chicago and take the toad in to see the start of the road and landmark places as it comes out of the city. Doing that at any of the larger towns would be prudent I would think.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofa View Post
Any one taken it?? Thinking of seeing it when we come back from Ontario next year, will start from Chigago. We have a 40" RV pulling a trailer. Issues?

thanks
A section of Route 66 somewhere in NM or Texas. No where to turn 39ft rig around for 20 miles. Didn't try to follow 66 after that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1913766999.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	40894
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I followed a huge amount of the old 66 on my BMW RG1200 which was not like driving my 34" Palazzo, and I sure could have used the MH to sleep in - the places to stay aside from some great Mom and Pop places, were hard to come by.
Could have use the Diesels' range as well, with a few close calls on fuel.
Glad I did it - and say if you can hang with the few crappy areas of roadway, its a set of memories for sure !
js43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #12

The Lincoln Highway (US-30) has some interesting history to it as well. http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #13

We took 66 from Arcadia OKlahoma to Vinita OK and was a great trip.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #14

We have parked the coach and used the toad to travel parts of Route 66. As many have stated above, some parts of the road are not to be traveled with a camper. :-)
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote