Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Royal Caribbean Cruise line

We had a group going on the Freedom of the Seas last Sunday one of the guest was detained they found a Bullet in his suitcase and would not let him on the ship or refund his money he did not know the bullet was there
We was very upset and talked to everyone we could and they said no way he was going on the ship after a 7 hour drive there he had to go back home 7 more hours he lost $2200.00 they offered nothing

Do you think this was the right move?

This is a good kid I coached in Baseball and he grew up in Church we was
not happy with rccl at the time but after thinking about it I will feel safer
on our next Cruise

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So you feel safer with no way to protect yourself than with something for protection? You have a God given right to protect yourself and you agree with placing that in someone else's hands?
The hijackers in Somalia would love that.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
So you feel safer with no way to protect yourself than with something for protection? You have a God given right to protect yourself and you agree with placing that in someone else's hands?
The hijackers in Somalia would love that.
I can see both sides to this, but I feel the person should have had their money refunded.

Also if I am going to take a cruise near Somalia, the cruise ship will be painted Gray and carry Cruise Missiles....
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
is that why they are called "cruise" missiles?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
We had a group going on the Freedom of the Seas last Sunday one of the guest was detained they found a Bullet in his suitcase and would not let him on the ship or refund his money he did not know the bullet was there
We was very upset and talked to everyone we could and they said no way he was going on the ship after a 7 hour drive there he had to go back home 7 more hours he lost $2200.00 they offered nothing

Do you think this was the right move?

This is a good kid I coached in Baseball and he grew up in Church we was
not happy with rccl at the time but after thinking about it I will feel safer
on our next Cruise
There must be more to the story than you are saying. Per the Royal Carribbean web site, it states that restricted items will be confiscated. Nothing about being detained or not allowed onboard.

What Not To Pack
Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.
The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.
  • Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
is that why they are called "cruise" missiles?
Why yes it is.. You see they provide a very high level of comfort for the people using them as they just cruise in and take out the bad guys and make good guys of them...
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
[QUOTE=edj;987617]There must be more to the story than you are saying. Per the Royal Carribbean web site, it states that restricted items will be confiscated. Nothing about being detained or not allowed onboard. [QUOTE]

Waiting with baited breath This should be interesting. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
There must be more to the story than you are saying. Per the Royal Carribbean web site, it states that restricted items will be confiscated. Nothing about being detained or not allowed onboard.
Aren't there usually two sides to a story.

Just curious, what happens if you try to board an airplane with a bullet? Wouldn't you spend quite a bit of time explaining why you had a bullet then possibly catch a plane some hours later to your destination.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh gosh! The forgot to exclude so many items that can be used as a weapon. Same thing on airplanes. Try taking a 1 inch swiss knife on board. It has a little set of scissors, a small knife blade, and a file and screw driver blade. All are very small. Nope can't do it.

But I can take a roller ball point pen on board that will pierce skin in a split second.

It's all for show. I'm glad they are looking, but I think some common sense should be restored.

okay! You can chastise me now.

p.s., I think he should have received a good portion of his money back and what they kept would be for minimal administration costs. Also, did he have "cruise" insurance. How would it fit in if he did - I don't know.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #10

He did not take out insurance (mistake) that is the whole story we had 11 people that went the guy is very clean cut very nice and polite kid his girlfriend packed there bags and he had a bag that he kept a gun in and the clip was in the side of the bag he removed the gun but not the clip I did find out it had 7 bullets in it I don't think that is enough to not let him on the ship that is the whole story they wouldn't let him on
I think they overbooked the ship and was looking for someone to through off they did tell him they would give him 20% off a future cruise
My wife called and talked to everyone she could and they said there was no way he was getting on the ship
Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So "A Bullet" turns in to a clip. Did his girl friend stay on the ship.?

BTW...only in a real screw up do cruise lines over book a ship. They know there will not be no shows like on an airplane. Cabins are assigned sometimes months in advance.

Did the girl friend have the pistol for the clip? Anxiously waiting on the rest of the story.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #12

No gun just a clip with 7 bullets girlfriend came home with him
I don't think 7 bullets can bring down a ship without a gun
They should have kept the clip and let them cruise again they said there was no way he was getting on the ship
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
No gun just a clip with 7 bullets girlfriend came home with him
I don't think 7 bullets can bring down a ship without a gun
They should have kept the clip and let them cruise again they said there was no way he was getting on the ship
If the story is just as you have stated, he has a good case against Royal Caribbean. There own web site specifically states that ammunition will be confiscated (my link in post #5 above). THAT IS ALL. Nothing about being banned from the cruise. Assuming that he did not start giving them a hard time about it, he should escalate the issue to higher management to make them stand by their stated policy and give him a refund for the cruise and his expenses. He might even push for a free cruise in the future for their screw-up.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

How hard is it to check luggage prior to travel to make sure there are no clips with bullets? Might take all of a few seconds. It is almost ridiculous in our society today to think that nobody would notice.

As to your real issue about being denied, probably the best course of action in the future is to be sure that nothing is done that gives anybody a reason to deny boarding. Look at the hassle that a few seconds of double checking luggage would have saved.

I hope that they offer another trip for reduced cost but that is hardly any consolation as it will occur at another time and perhaps with other people.