Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rust in the basement compartments

Hello,

I am looking at used MH's. When seeing the basements and the Onan generator compartments, I often see rust along the framing of the MH and around the piping of the generator. Is this a huge concern because I have seen it in 10 yr old and 5 yr old units.

I was wondering if you sanded the rust down and repainted inside these areas if there would be too many unseen areas that would come back to bite you and just avoid a used unit when you see rust.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #2

I'm thinking what you see is a result of the manufacturing process (IE) left over corrosion from welding. On the exhaust system, you'll want to just leave it alone, not much you can do and not get into a fire hazard possibility. Some area can be wrapped with a special bandage fiber looking exhaust system wrap used by hot rodders and on other new vehicles including motorcycles. It's not any where near a necessity on a motorhome, but can help keep areas around your exhaust system cooler, and adds a little extra protection from burns.

There is a rust paint on the market that can be applied directly on the areas of concern. I'm not familiar with the new brand names or what I would call the best on the market.

Just be aware, this is a normal process where as the metal is exposed to the elements directly or indirectly, and not powder coated.

You can make it pretty again, but you don't have to.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you
Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

There is usually some rust in such areas that is tightly adhered to the metal as some types of steel are designed to get a coating and then that protects from further deterioration. If you see rust that is flaking off and clear evidence that the metal has been weakened, then you should be concerned. I have never seen a motorhome that was to that point in less than about 20 years and then it was exposed to salt air constantly.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

Pretty subjective call depending on the severity of the rust you're seeing? I think to some extent, how much you see of rust like that might be indicative of what kind of maintenance level that coach is receiving.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
For inside the compartments, spatter paint (trunk paint) works well and there are high temperature ceramic paints for exhaust systems. Both work well for very light rust situations..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs down rust in the compartments

The rust I saw was on the framework inside a basement compartment. It looked like surface rust (but this is a picture) I did not go look at the MH so not sure how good or bad the pics were.

Around the generator, it was the pipes to and from the generator and the framework around the compartment that held it. This area looked much worse then the frame of the other compartment. Pretty much have decided that the price is not worth the risk. If you can see this much rust in pics then more than likely the maintenance has been poor.

Thank you all for the info and opinions. I have a lot to learn and will keep asking.

Have a great day and easy roads, Lynne

Tags
rust