Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Rusty and the Possum....

Rusty and the Possom

Yesterday morning around 8 am my little dog Rusty wanted to go outside so I let him out into the back yard…

It wasn’t but just a minute until I heard that bark that says “I’ve discovered something”….Well off I go to see what was wrong…Rusty was growling, barking yelping and two or three more things that says the situation wasn’t good…He had discovered a possum between 2 flower pots behind the garage…

Rusty spent all morning outside with the animal trying to get him to respond with little luck other than a bite on the foot….

Around noon Rusty came limping to the back door and wanted in…He got him a drink of water and got in his bed and took a 2 hour nap….

Sure enough, when he woke up he wanted to go outside again…Well, the possum had not gone anywhere so Rusty went at it again for the rest of the afternoon the barking and snarling went on…..

Around 10 pm last nite me and the neighbors had enjoyed about as much of this as we could stand, nerves were gittin” on edge….It’s time to do something about this.

Large trash can in hand I go after the possum, grab him by the tail and threw him in the trash barrel, found the lid and put it on it…Whee, why hadn’t have I not thought of that earlier, problem solved, I’ll just take him for a ride in the country and all will be well…..

Off we go in my jeep wrangler which I had just spent ten grand restoring for a little nite ride in the country….Things were going pretty well until I heard some bumping around in the barrel right behind my seat…. The possum makes a lunge and turns the barrel over and the lid flys open….I’m looking back to see the possum coming out when I ran over Mrs Jones red tip potenea hedge and took out bout 20 feet of it….

Humm, looks like that possum wants to git in the front of the jeep, shucks, nobody likes riding in the back of the bus….I have discriminated against him….

I am kinda wobbling around on the road when I meet the Sheriff’s car…..

You know, that sheriff car wheeled around in the road and came after me like he was in a hurry, til he caught up to me and that’s when the blue lites cam on….Well the blue lites seemed to scare the possum which in turn scared me and somehow I wound up in the ditch…..

Now the Sheriff runs up to my door and proceeds to tell me to git my hands on top of the steering wheel where he can see them and do it now!! Dunno what he’s so upset about, I am the one in the car with the possum that by now is as mad as a wet set’in hen….Sheriff says, unbuckle your seat belt with your left hand and git outta the car….A request I will gladly comply with…..

This Sheriff aint too happy bout the way I’m driving so he kinda forced the issue of me putting my hands on the hood of the jeep and spreading my legs while I get a pat down……I get a field soberity test to go along with all the snatching around but the officer finally calms down when some 3 more sheriff cars arrive on the scene….

Finally they act like they want to listen to my side of the story and they discover the possum….Not one of those brave men that protect us from all the evils of life would remove that possum from my jeep……

Well I have got to replace Mrs Jones red tips and I guess I will start redoing the redo on my jeep next week, it has suffered some damage….It might be time to take a drink, for medicinal purposes you understand…….
duflochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Incredibly funny story. What ever happened to the possum?
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Incredibly funny story. What ever happened to the possum?
after i got thru with all our cops i managed to get him by the tail and hastily put him on the ground beside my jeep and i got in and drove off.......now I have possum poo in my new carpet that the smell wont come out of.........
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
duflochy...I am going to tell you that I figured I was gonna be reading about our own Moderator, RustyJC - I had no idea it would be about a dog! (What is even worse..is one of my dog's name is Rusty too)

I am still laughing -and I feel guilty as I do ...the damage to your newly restored Jeep and Mrs. Jones' hedge isn't something to laugh about, after all ....but then I picture it all happening ... and I think you could find this tale in a "Dukes of Hazzard" re-run ...or you should.

Thanks for a good laugh - and Good Luck getting the smell and stain out of the Jeep carpet ..I think it will be part of the new restore project.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now we know where you've been. Welcome back. We need to see you at a Boomer rally soon.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
That is one wild story! You told it well too! Joe
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Funny

I enjoyed that !

Sorry about the material damage. I hope it can all be fixed.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
How do I transfer this Rusty story to e-mail I got to pass it on?????
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
How do I transfer this Rusty story to e-mail I got to pass it on?????
just copy and paste, have fun with it......
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
duflochy, You are a very kind person, I grew up in the country and a 4 10 shot gun was always sitting at the back door for varmints. Did not want any of them possums getting into the chicken house. My self in town I would have crow barred the varmint. In January of 2000 I was staying at Marina Dunes RV Park, Seaside, Ca. Around 10 pm I heard something walking on the roof of my rig and was it loud. I went outside and very carefully climbed the ladder expecting what ever it was to escape in my general direction. Low and behold it was a possum, so I decided to leave it alone and deal with eviction at day light. The next morning it was gone, possum must have rolled off. I was concerned all night that it might damage my rubber roof trying to get off. My roof was alright but I'll never forget how loud that possum was!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I find a good double edged axe, Louisville Slugger, or heavy square head shovel does wonders in Possum removal when they're in a location where turning them into a stain on the ground with double ought buckshot isn't an option.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Did you think of Rabies?????

Opossum story was great, but do they get Rabies?

LEN
Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Opossum story was great, but do they get Rabies?

LEN
That was my concern too. Loved picturing the story as you told it, but what about Rusty, how's his foot? Oh, and are you finished with the hedges yet?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampTrash View Post
That was my concern too. Loved picturing the story as you told it, but what about Rusty, how's his foot? Oh, and are you finished with the hedges yet?

I got around to paying Mrs Jones a visit yesterday and fessed up to being the one that destroyed her red tips.....She laughed at me and wanted to know if I'd been drinking again.....She seemed a lot more concerned about the poor possum than her redtips......I am sending her nephew, Jeff who happens to own a nursery out to fix her yard back.....

As far as Rusty goes, he's had his rabies shots and I am not worried bout him......I was somewhat concerned about myself, I have not had the luxery of them.....Maby I should visit my vet and see if he will give me one......