Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #29

Wonder if she had just returned from using "the on-board facilities".

Timing is everything!

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #30

It looks as if the fiver is very close to the lane of moving traffic. Not a very good place to park, if it can be avoided at all. If you have to get off, get way over or half over on the grass. A foot or too off the road is no place to stop and use the facilities. Get off on the off ramp, then start back up the on ramp and leave room for traffic to get by. May not be legal sometimes, but way safer as then you just have slow traffic to contend with.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
I need to start to run one in my truck, prob should in the motorhome too

Im saying this from driving for a living, its not easy, its not a cake walk. It can be very stressfull with deadlines, the dumb 4 wheelers, the DOT ..... I cant say the reason why it happens, the only thing I can assume is you see something and think its in the travel lane. Thats why I STRONGLY advocate hazard flashers and triangles and or road cones any time you have to stop on the sholder, move as far off, and if it can be done, limp on the sholder to a exit ramp sholder and park on the on ramp section, its far safer than the off ramp section. If that advice saves one paint scrape let alone a life, I have done my job
Totally agree !! IF you have to stop on the roadway,,, AT LEAST turn on your hazard lights (4 ways)... People tend to "follow" another vehicle, be it night or day,,, if that vehicle is stopped,,, well,,,,, Be safe people...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Look at post #10.
thanks iwas post #4 had not thought of posting a image along with my statement actually a hino looks like a good foundation for a short super c
brianj
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Interestingly, the report notes that the fiver was "legally parked along the road".

This is part assumption but the phrase "At exit 119" suggests that state route 1 is in fact a freeway or other limited access highway.

parking on such roads FOR almost ANY REASON is illegal. So if the driver pulled off so he could go back to the 5er to sit and think a bit, that's illegal. The only legal reason to park on the side of a freeway is "At the lawful direction of a law enforcement officer".
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The section of SR1 where the accident occurred is a limited access, 4 lane, divided toll road with a 65 MPH speed limit.

I haven't been on SR1 for several months, and I don't remember what signs may be posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is part assumption but the phrase "At exit 119" suggests that state route 1 is in fact a freeway or other limited access highway.

parking on such roads FOR almost ANY REASON is illegal. So if the driver pulled off so he could go back to the 5er to sit and think a bit, that's illegal. The only legal reason to park on the side of a freeway is "At the lawful direction of a law enforcement officer".

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Or emergencies.. Could have been as simple as double checking the hitch or tires after hearing a noise..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Or emergencies.. Could have been as simple as double checking the hitch or tires after hearing a noise..
Except that it seems unlikely that the wife would have been the one doing that. Hubby was sitting in the driver's seat of the truck when the Hino hit the fiver.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sometimes Flashers and such just don't work. Up to last week my son was a recovery wrecker driver on Highway Four for a BCAA tower. He was in Cathedral Grove which is a posted 50 KPH (30MPH) zone with flashers, three rotating beacon and full hazards all on. He was getting back into the truck after hooking up a broken down vehicle and caught sight out of the corner of his eye a vehicle approaching from behind at a high rate of speed. The truck coming at him was actually off the driven portion of the road and the passenger side mirror got shattered on my son's head causing a concussion.

BTW in BC if you approach emergency flashers along the highway you have to drop your speed to 70K on major highways and 50K on secondary highways. I have seen ghost cop cars out sitting in front of tow trucks displaying flashers and rotators and if the oncoming traffic doesn't slow down and move over they are awarded a "Boy Are You Ever Dumb" infraction and three points just for getting caught.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
We all travel the freeways and pass vehicles parked on the shoulder for what ever reason and none of us or most of us don't drive into them. If you hit a vehicle which is parked on the shoulder, you are at fault. Police officers with there lights flashing get hit! Don't blame the fifth wheel driver unless he was parked in a traffic lane. I wish the police would nab the guys who don't move over or slow down when their cruisers are parked on the shoulder.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
True story.. Taylor Police (Michigan) Were plicing an accident, Tow truck on sceen and as Danny (The driver of same) got back into the truck to move into position to hook up....

A drunk rear ended the tow truck

Flashing lights on the truck, (A Chevy Flatbed, Kodiak class) on the police cars (At least 3) and in full view of the dash cam.

You know.. I'm thinking they should have charged the idiot under the "Injure a road worker" law.. That would have sobered him up.

We had to dispatch a relief driver out (I was retired from Police at the time and dispatching the very tow truck that got hit).
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #40

Agree. On a different forum, a while back, a British policeman posted that in a wreck (not called an "accident") someone is always found to be at fault. I think we have become accustomed to accidents; while they are really wrecks, and someone caused them. Maybe too simplistic, but there is always the issue of contributary negligence which, in this case, might have occurred with the fifth wheel parking on the shoulder.

My wife has an absolute fit if I ever consider parking our rig on the shoulder of a highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
We all travel the freeways and pass vehicles parked on the shoulder for what ever reason and none of us or most of us don't drive into them. If you hit a vehicle which is parked on the shoulder, you are at fault. Police officers with there lights flashing get hit! Don't blame the fifth wheel driver unless he was parked in a traffic lane. I wish the police would nab the guys who don't move over or slow down when their cruisers are parked on the shoulder.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can think of several accidents, INCLUDING some fatal ones, that were true accidents.. NOBODY was at fault (or if you like act of God) however, I do agree, well over 90% of the time someone is at fault.

Then you get secondary accidents.. I know one "Motor Officer" (This means he rides a motorcycle) his nickname is Ponch (After the character on the TV show CHiPS) You see, both are of Mexician descent and well.. Things happened to Ponch.. Same for "Ponch" So hes' investigating an accident, Car v/s lightpole (Ok crash) engineers are on the sceen and all agree the light pole most likely will NOT fall down and if it does it will fall THAT way.. "Ponch" is not in any danger....

Good thing he had his helmet on.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club

Gettin' late, Wa8?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote