Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Darn shame for the Family of both involved, Im sure the driver of the truck has to be dealing with emotional stress

It is a shame for the families involved but I have zero sympathy for this dim wit truck driver which I presume fled the scene not knowing if he caused further death or injury to the occupants of the fifth wheel.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen reports of cars sitting on the shoulder, and being hit from behind. They don't withstand an impact like that very well either. I remember one where a lady was sitting in her broken down car on the shoulder while her husband wen't for help. The car was hit from behind and she was killed. Not a good place to be but sometimes you can't avoid it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I can tell you from personal experience, while living overseas in a third world country, I struck an elderly, hard of hearing pedestrian. He died in the mission hospital in a few short hours. That was over 30 years ago and sometimes it seems like it was today. I was initially charged with dangerous driving, however, the case was dismissed from court for lack of evidence.

If you have ever traveled by car or driven a car in a third world country you know how many people are on the roadside constantly. Most of the locals do not own vehicles, drive them or understand that they cannot stop on a dime. This tragically was a common occurance there. Never the less, it is an emotional and psychologial burnden of emmense proportion that I wish on no one. I think I have forgiven myself but I still think of what I could have done different to prevent it. I haunts me from time to time and gives me the shakes to even talk about it for anything longer than just a moment or so.

In fear of my life, I was unable to personally apologize to the family when a compensation payment was presented to the tribe on my behalf. I think it would have be easier for me now emotionally, if I could have been present. We just can't be too careful, can we?

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
See it all the time on dash cam videos.. For some reason, people just seems to gravitate towards the vehicle stopped on the side until they collide.. No reason why.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #19

I don't understand why it would be a crime unless he was drunk, did it intentionally or fled the scene. I'm sure everyone here has had a close call or two - just a little luck one way or another shouldn't mean a prison sentence.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I don't understand why it would be a crime unless he was drunk, did it intentionally or fled the scene. I'm sure everyone here has had a close call or two - just a little luck one way or another shouldn't mean a prison sentence.
Since it said that the driver "turned himself in Tuesday" I would assume that he did leave the scene... which would mean he left his dead coworker behind.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
yes ,when i read the article it said the rv was hit from behind by "hino" and having no idea what that was i assumed others might have the same question
but i do understand your question and sometimes i out in left field during a boxing match
have a great day,safe travels and a Merry Christmas
brianj
Look at post #10.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
He didn't flee.

The panel truck driver was taken by state police helicopter to Christiana Hospital where he was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening.

I believe that after the investigation was completed, he was charged, and then turned himself in.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given what I've read and heard in the news media in more than the past three decades what I've seen while on the scene of an accident and what was reported varied widely
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
See it all the time on dash cam videos.. For some reason, people just seems to gravitate towards the vehicle stopped on the side until they collide.. No reason why.

I need to start to run one in my truck, prob should in the motorhome too

Im saying this from driving for a living, its not easy, its not a cake walk. It can be very stressfull with deadlines, the dumb 4 wheelers, the DOT ..... I cant say the reason why it happens, the only thing I can assume is you see something and think its in the travel lane. Thats why I STRONGLY advocate hazard flashers and triangles and or road cones any time you have to stop on the sholder, move as far off, and if it can be done, limp on the sholder to a exit ramp sholder and park on the on ramp section, its far safer than the off ramp section. If that advice saves one paint scrape let alone a life, I have done my job
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In Indiana, you must move to the left one lane OR slow to 45mph if you cannot change lanes,while passing any vehicle stopped in the shoulder..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many states have that kind of law (Move over or slow down) I still had two troopers get creamed by drivers... one of them I am convinced intended to hit the trooper (Who was walking on the SHOULDER with a truck driver on either side, both truck drivers got hit as well.. I can tell you that woke up the midnight shift (Myself included).

The funny one was a freezing rain.. Many cars stacked up like dominoes when a trooper, near the front, leaned against a car so he could read the vin.. The rear most car got hit (not hard) the impact caused the trooper to loose his footing and land on his...r.... pride.. He then slid down the ramp onto the accel lane, got up and walked back to the site.... later he's in Dispatch and the phone rings.. it's J.P. McCarthy (WJR Radio) and he ask what it was like out there.. I handed it to the person who knew best.. Said trooper.. Who told JP about that trip down the ramp on his.......pride JP ask "How was it" trooper said "kind of fun but I could not stear" Now, JP broadcast the interview Exactly as the trooper stated it.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't understand why it would be a crime unless he was drunk, did it intentionally or fled the scene. I'm sure everyone here has had a close call or two - just a little luck one way or another shouldn't mean a prison sentence
I have never in my life come close to hitting a vehicle which was parked on a shoulder of a highway. My rule of thumb is an easy one....... I stay on the road with eyes open. I think the use of cell phones should be legal so that people don't hide them in their laps while texting. Hitting a parked vehicle should be a crime if caused by a simple lack of attention.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
He didn't flee.

The panel truck driver was taken by state police helicopter to Christiana Hospital where he was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening.

I believe that after the investigation was completed, he was charged, and then turned himself in.
That looks right to me...the incident happened on October 8th, and it evidently took nearly two months for authorities to decide whether or not to charge the driver of the Hino with anything.

There's a fairly detailed same-day report here at the State Patrol's Facebook page.

Interestingly, the report notes that the fiver was "legally parked along the road". I wonder if there was some disagreement over that which may have contributed to the delay in charging the Hino driver. I'm not familiar with that road, but many limited-access type highways prohibit stopping/parking for anything except a real emergency.

Nothing in the article indicates why the fiver was parked there, just that the fiver's passenger was "reentering the truck" at the time of the accident...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote