Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Dog Folks, sounds like we're on the same page. I could expand, but it's wandering off topic a bit. -Al

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Loving your work too much

Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Wise man once told me "never let your avocation become your vocation". Good luck with your decision
X2 on that one. Was admiring the work of a glass blower years ago and mentioned how nice it must be to be to turn your hobby into a living. He smiled and said, " the only problem is, when you make your hobby your job you no longer have a hobby". Never forgot that.

2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
How about working at an RV park? As a salesperson you need to be able to close a deal and not just make friends. Of course a great salesperson can be a great friend. But you need to learn the art of the deal.

As a service person those folks that are meeting you each day are mostly unhappy. It takes a unique personality to deal with those negatives every day. It can be incredibly rewarding putting smiles on peoples faces and is incredibly challenging. I say this from the perspective of being the "Service Person of the Year" for Motorola Inc. Forty years in the service business was challenging and rewarding. I loved my customers and took every unhappy person as a challenge. It is not for the weak hearted.

Working in an RV park would give you mostly positive interchange and you might want to become a workcamper.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
How about working at an RV park? ......
Working in an RV park would give you mostly positive interchange and you might want to become a workcamper.
How about campground hosting, in a state, federal, or other government facility, if you do not need income?

Hosting now for our 9th year now. Except for rule enforcement/education, the job is very happy. Campers are usually in a great mood to be here.

Of course you get the old grump but they are far and few between.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can speak from experience on this one. I retired from the military three years ago and decided I would only work if there was something that interested me. My Fridays were spent at a local dealership where I would roam the lot and parts store.

Bought 2 MH's from this dealer and never had any problems. One day on a whim I asked if they had any part time openings. They had me fill out an application, and on the application they wrote in big letters "RV Owner". Long story short, Monday will be my one year anniversary there.

I had/have no interest in sales, so they started me in the parts store working three days a week. After proving myself, the owner asked me if I knew any more RV owners looking for a job as our other store people had no experience in actually owning/using an RV.

I worked in the parts store for 2 months when the shipping and receiving position came up. I was asked if I would consider it as I am OCD/anal when it comes to organization. Been doing that full time for 10 months and absolutely love it.

I work for a very large family owned dealership that I believe trys to do the right thing, or I wouldn't work there. The perks are nice to. Employees pay 10% over cost for parts, get discount rates on service, use of the shops to do our own maintenance after hours, and countless others. The best for me is walking to my office past all the different RV's.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
I think there is nothing wrong with wanting perfection in your NEW unit.... and nothing can be more maddening then to get something home and it's broken or not working. Several inspections should be done by different people. Some people just get into a groove and accidentally over look things. I inspect, you inspect and then someone else inspects. If you rotate the process then you don't get bored looking at the same parts and over look something. It's a huge purchase and you bought it new and want it in new working order. Completely understand this importance.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #21
ALL THESE ARE GREAT IDEAS..... and I do appreciate everyone who has given me great food for thought..... I am eating it up. Pondering .. may look into this and see if I can get a part time gig and learn some things.
Dojo1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
Your trained profession is that of a teacher so work with that.

Sales guys sell...teachers share information.

How many new folks depend on sales guy to help after sale?

Sales guy is focused on the sale and many cannot sit and train or help customer learn.

You work with both sales and service to educate the customer regarding using both the product and service.

You become the front line for the dealer with the customer to own that customer.

Learn a bit of information about the dealers and like others above seek out one that looks like it could use what you have to offer and seek out management and sell your self as part time to see where it goes.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #23
All of life is a sales job, do not be afraid to grab it and run. The best and highes paying jobs in the world involve sales. Start with a sales job and develop your skills from there. Just use selling as your base activity.

CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote