Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #15

So glad everyone was OK. Did you see that guy pulling the other guy with the fire extinguisher away? A fire that big everyone needs to stay clear. When my coach burnt to the ground in 13 minutes the tires blew sending burning rubber in all directions, and then the propane tank vented shooting a blow torch type of flame 30 feet scorching everything in its path.

Its good to help, but be safe while doing it!

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
American Coach is featuring this emergency door/staircase as a new safety feature available on the 2016 Eagle. Looks similar to the way the door on a private jet might work. I can only guess it would be located in the rear closet or bathroom. I'd like to see something like this introduced across the industry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emergency exit.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	90537  

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
American Coach is featuring this emergency door/staircase as a new safety feature available on the 2016 Eagle. Looks similar to the way the door on a private jet might work. I can only guess it would be located in the rear closet or bathroom. I'd like to see something like this introduced across the industry.

That's a great idea.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is why RVers need to attend Fire Safety and Tire Seminars given at RV Rallys.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I think I would be jumping out instead of taking the stair steps when faced with flames and toxic smoke.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSusan View Post
Route 66's cause is probably on point, especially if they were old tires, which I would speculate was highly likely. There are 400 blowouts from old tires annually.

From the video, my impression was that they didn't know they could push out the window from the inside and escape until the rv guy told them to push out.

Bad publicity for Newmar, regardless.

I think the windows were big enough, the problem is knowing what to do in a fire and practicing it, then getting out and to the ground safely.

All the best advice is worth nothing after the fact.
Sorry, I disagree about bad publicity for Newmar; this could have been any make of motorhome. The occupants should have learned how to operate the emergency exits.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Doctor saves three lives in MH fire

I didn't hear instructions to push out the windows from that RV Doctor or see a window pushed out. It appeared to me that they climbed out a sliding window.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #22

Just because I say it is bad publicity, which it is, doesn't mean I'm saying it is their fault. But it is bad publicity nonetheless because many people form conclusions based on first impressions without knowing much about what might cause such a fire or know much about rvs and those who use them.

Ones weight and/or age and/or eyesight may affect the ability to use an emergency window. My guess is that these kinds of problems have not resulted in enough of a push back against the mfgs to make a better safety exit, except voluntarily.

Considering the overall quality control issues in the industry, it is on our heads to avoid being victims and that starts with knowledge of your rv and safety procedures.

How often do I read about weight ratings are meaningless, not changing old tires because they still look good, and owners plug and playing with their propane and electrical systems with no apparent basic knowledge of propane or electricity.

Not to be on my high horse...
Old 04-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #23

Whatever the case,,, it's ordinary citizens who stop to help others in need..... I Totally thank the RV guy, the TRUCKER,, everybody who helped... You just never know it might be you (or us) someday... Thankyou !!!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is possible the tire blow out was avoidable. Maybe the driver drove over avoidable road debris, Maybe the drive did not check the tire pressures, Maybe the tires were over or under inflated, Maybe the tires were over due for replacement due to age (born date) and side wall cracking, Maybe the front tires were worn too much on their edge/corner from being out of alignment, Maybe the tires was damaged from hitting curbs or objects and not inspected prior by the driver, or any combination of maybe's.

Just learn from the mistakes of others....It's cheaper than learning from your own.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
With stuff I've learned from RV forums ... and what the Navy taught me, I have taken several steps (sometimes daily) to insure that DW and I could "get out" and be safe if we had a fire onboard. One example: Before I go to bed, I check that I have RV and car keys and my wallet in a pair of pants folded and ready in our bedroom. The example of a disaster is like this: While sleeping, we have a fire that prevents me from getting to the front of the RV and thus out the front door. The bedroom has a emergency-exit window, and thus we would exit in that fashion. But if such an exit is at night-time, think about this: the front-door of the RV is locked (and the tow is locked) ... and once we bail from the rear window, without keys, there would be no entering the coach from the front door. And no keys? No car access. Further, when it is freezing outside and help might be slow in coming, it could be pretty nasty: fire inside the RV and freezing bodies outside the RV. So I always have a heavy coat for me and DW in the tow so that if we have to bail-out in our skivvies, we have something warm to put on. Stuff like that. The only thing we've never practiced? DW bailing out this window at 3am in the morning. Hmmmmmm. Not a pretty picture.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #26

Quote:
...bailing out this window at 3am in the morning. Hmmmmmm. Not a pretty picture.
I don't know about that, it could be pretty interesting. I was in a 5 story hotel once when the fire alarm sounded at 3 AM. Smoke filled the hallways and someone was yelling "Everyone out, everyone out, the hotel is on fire".
After everyone was assembled outside in the parking lot I got to looking around and I was shocked as to what people DON'T wear to bed!!!!!! Several of us took our shirts off and gave them to those of the opposite sex who needed the shirts more than we did!!

But as Robi.1014 said, always be prepared. In our bedroom we have a dog leash and a cat carrier, flashlight and some clothing at the ready, as they say. I'll need to get a second set of keys made to keep there also. You suggestion was a good one.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The story I saw it was a tire fire
And the occupants got out on their own
RV doctor was there and assisted with a larger extinguisher
But they did not save lives.

That network is usually better than that.. but alas.. none of the networks give the quality I remember from my youth.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The video linked in post #1 shows the life saving that took place. You've got to watch it . There's no dispute after one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The story I saw it was a tire fire
And the occupants got out on their own
RV doctor was there and assisted with a larger extinguisher
But they did not save lives.

That network is usually better than that.. but alas.. none of the networks give the quality I remember from my youth.