Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #29

From the remarks section of the report:

"Doug Straycat Weber • 2 days ago
Definitely NOT a meth lab amcbeagle. A tire blew out and caught fire. Fragments of the tire broke a fuel line which fed the fire. I know, I was there. I was the 18-wheeler driver that stopped to help."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #30

After showing this to my wife the 30 year career flight attendant she was somewhat aghast to realize she had not looked at the emergency exit windows. She has trained emergency air cabin procedures at Flight Safety many times for many years and pointed out a lot of ways that situation could have gone much worse.

I do have an immediate order to obtain and mount a crash axe or fire axe inside our coach. In emergency it is easier to break windows or bypass stubborn latches that might jam due to an accident or damage.

Another concern along those lines is the fact that escape in a rollover is very difficult. If the unit is on it's roof the windshield is the obvious escape route using the crash axe and the crash axe might be needed on the emergency windows...or anywindow. But if the unit is on it's side you cannot reach the operable safety windows so the skylight or brute force at the AC units if the windshield access is blocked by fire.

I'm definitely taking this one to heart and adding fire extinguishers and the crash axe.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #31

Yes just seen their rig on the news. It was a total lost.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
nm..

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
When we had our annual done last year on our 2011 Essex, Cummins Coach Care found the seal on the passengers steer tire leaking lubricant (wet bearings) on the brake rotor. When they repaired it, they stated if left unrepaired it can cause a wheel fire...
Old 04-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
We had our toad catch fire on I-25 North of Pueblo summer of 2013. I happened to see a wiff of smoke come out of the grill in the camera. Pulled over immediately and by the time I got stopped there were flames coming out of the grill. Fire extinguisher was useless to fight a fire behind the radiator and the hood release was already inoperative. Immediately got the thing disconnected and pulled the motorhome away. Key adjective here was "immediately." By the time I got the motorhome away the car was 80% engulfed.

I tell this story to set up my question, what IF I hadn't seen that little wiff of smoke? What if the fire would have been so advanced when I first saw it to where I couldn't get close enough to disconnect once I got stopped? If you're going to try to save the coach what do you do, keep driving to keep the heat flowing away from the coach? Do you drive until there's nothing but a shell back there?

I've thought this through many times and stll don't have a good answer.

Oh by the way, I'm very glad we have fire departments but when you're 30 miles from the nearest station you better have your own plan of action. The fire department got there in time to cool off the hull that once was a nice little Kia Soul.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
After showing this to my wife the 30 year career flight attendant she was somewhat aghast to realize she had not looked at the emergency exit windows. She has trained emergency air cabin procedures at Flight Safety many times for many years and pointed out a lot of ways that situation could have gone much worse.

I do have an immediate order to obtain and mount a crash axe or fire axe inside our coach. In emergency it is easier to break windows or bypass stubborn latches that might jam due to an accident or damage.

Another concern along those lines is the fact that escape in a rollover is very difficult. If the unit is on it's roof the windshield is the obvious escape route using the crash axe and the crash axe might be needed on the emergency windows...or anywindow. But if the unit is on it's side you cannot reach the operable safety windows so the skylight or brute force at the AC units if the windshield access is blocked by fire.

I'm definitely taking this one to heart and adding fire extinguishers and the crash axe.
Very good suggestion for a multi purpose emergency situation. A proper axe is a good escape assistant tool as well as self defense tool, if needed. Fire extinguishers are a must for any RV owner, I have used one to extinguish my boat trailer tire bearing with the boat on the trailer and attached to my class A RV. I saw smoke behind me on a HWY 1 in Canada, Manitoba-Ontario border pulled over grabbed my fire extinguisher, emptied it onto the bearing from under the boat, thinking it is the tire as smoke was so thick I could not see the tire. I have seen how effective fire extinguishers could be when we trained our crew at work on how to use them when a 3'X6' 6" deep pan filled with diesel and put on fire get put out in a 2 second burst from a fire extinguisher, and let me tell you when you see the fire in that pan you think ...holy crap this is a 10' flame, there is no way this little extinguisher will put this out.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #36

A friend and fellow RV gave me a great idea when it comes to a RV fire. I'm going to install the fire extinguishing system like what's in boats. They are automatic and I can place one in the diesel area and another in the generator area. They go off automatically when they reach a certain temperature. I was told the entire set up would be under $1500.
dave&ginny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #37

That's a great ideal.