Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 AM   #1
Community Administrator

RV Doctor saves three lives in MH fire

Good Samaritans rescue mom, daughter from burning RV on highway | Local News - Home

The article calls it a 20' front engine fire. It was a rear diesel and much larger. Thankfully no one was hurt .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #2

The news video made it look like the fire started at the right front tire. How does a tire burst into flame while driving? Brakes siezed?
Old 04-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Glad no one was hurt. Thank God RV Dr. was there with experience of where the danger points were.

A perfect example of why full coverage is so important for our RV's. I have seen many posts over the years where people have cut corners to save a buck on an expensive replacement. Many do not know that full replacement is available for the first 5 years of a newer RV.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It looks to be about a 38', 2000 Dutch Star.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
The news video made it look like the fire started at the right front tire. How does a tire burst into flame while driving? Brakes siezed?

Could've been a generator fire.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #6

I seen this on CNN this morning. I'm curious of how it started too. I'm also wondering why RV don't have larger windows in the back just in case something like this happening again.
Francina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Low tire pressure can overheat a tire to cause a blowout and fire.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #8

The report I saw was saying that the right front tire blew out causing the fire ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Geeezzzz, glad no one was injured and someone responded and helped them out.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #10

I think that it will buff out OK and maybe a new tire.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Route 66's cause is probably on point, especially if they were old tires, which I would speculate was highly likely. There are 400 blowouts from old tires annually.

From the video, my impression was that they didn't know they could push out the window from the inside and escape until the rv guy told them to push out.

Bad publicity for Newmar, regardless.

I think the windows were big enough, the problem is knowing what to do in a fire and practicing it, then getting out and to the ground safely.

All the best advice is worth nothing after the fact.
LeeSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You know, I've been concerned about being trapped in the coach in this sort of 'fire' situation. Has anyone else taken a realistic, good look at your coach's emergency exit window and thought "How the heck am I going to get out of this rabbit hole"? I know that flames licking at one's backside can produce some extra ordinary feats, but this 'senior' body would have some difficulty getting through that opening...then there's that 5 or 6 foot head first fall... Although this may not be a typical scenario for a lot of coaches, it was true with our last MH and was always a 'YIKES' moment of thought.

Just a good thing someone, in this case, was around to help the wife and daughter out of the coach. Looked like a very close call.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads on escape windows. Always good to remind everyone how to use them. Thanks for asking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Esca...com&gws_rd=ssl

Also a Google search of Mac the fire guy will be very worth your while ( I think some of his stuff is in the above link )

Old 04-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Also on this topic of using exit windows, the Escapees magazine Mar/Apr 2015 issue (p.64) has an article by a full timer who discovered his exit window was jammed against the strap that holds down the window awning. Luckily, this was during a "practice of emergency exit procedure." He shared his tip to solve so the emergency exit could be fully opened (his solution was to add & epoxy a second pull-strap bracket to the window glass). (Escapees RV Club | Home)

Thank you, Mr. Baker for that article in Escapees magazine

We are so very glad everyone safely made it out in this thread's current story, too!

Safe travels to all
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote