Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Steve, I intended no disrespect for motorcyclists and, you are correct, using Crips and Bloods would be a better example. Sorry.

Randco, there was another thread that addressed using the RV as an escape pod. Instead of exploring how and when to use it for that purpose, the threat got caught up in some forbidden discussion areas My purpose was simply to try to revive the concept and discussion.

I have personally considered using our RV as an escape pod. It is probably not appropriate (pointless on my suggested scale) to use it for one of our bigger threats in Texas - tornados. It couldn't be activated in time. My curiosity is about other situations where it could function. I do believe it possible that we could have civil unrest (perhaps it is more likely than some believe) and would like to consider using our RV if it does happen.

Perhaps I was too graphic in my examples. I didn't mean for them to replace the purpose of asking the questions.
The section I have made bold is what disturbs me. We are not living in the wild wild west, the days of the great depression or the years of the great dust bowl. And while some disaster scenarios do bring out the worst in some people I belive that law and order would prevail.

It scares me to think that there are people that dream up these scenarios for something other than a movie script as StevePav suggests.

Let's get guns and barricade ourselves on a mountain top somewhere. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Was the OP talking about a real bike Club ? or some cute lil BBQ-club on motorcycle wheels? a little family club?

the question posed is a good one ..
what if all hades breaks loose (StephenKing's "STAND") .. what sort of RV-pod do you have to stand in?

I, as many here, grew up in the days that we had weekly practice siren alarms in case that the Ruskies dropped the BigOne on us ... so to me its a real question

my pod:
25'er 5th wheel, a 4 -season improvised (extra insulation), with food, and a huge gen (5K), rifle/shotgun/rounds,
just like what the neighbors had when i was growing up .. except theirs was 10' underground

Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #17

Okay, so something happened, some sort of major disaster, and everyone is going crazy like out of some science fiction piece.

Your RV is only limited in protection. It certainly won't stop a bullet, and if your opponent is smart enough, he'll dodge your shots while he/she/they shoot out your tires.

The best an RV would be capable of would be to transport you and your family to safety in comfort and allow you to set up a base far from the danger zone. Here you could gather your resources, use your ham radio for information gathering and communications, and prepare yourself for the days to come.

A major concern is the availability of gasoline. In theory, you could use your genset to power a gas pump provided the voltages match, the gas station is not manned by armed people waiting to ambush you, and so on and so on and so on.

Clogged highways could pose a problem and stop you and your RV escape pod dead in your tracks. It is here that a motorcycle would be your best bet for manueverability.

Steve
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[quote=wa8yxm;524069]To the O/P.. You have brought up some good items to consider

....and that was my intent. Since I first saw the phrase "RV escape pod" the concept has had me (and my obviously vivid imagination.) thinking.

I'll say it one more time for those who just have to beat the drum - I'm sorry that I used the word "motorcycle" at all. The suggestion about Cripes would have worked just as well. I did not intend to demean groups that ride motorcycles in any way. OK. Can we bury this one now?

Was I focused on solely apocalyptic scenarios? Absolutely not. What I was trying to do was define the scale that I wanted to use. I felt that had to establish the boundaries of it and, more important, show the movement along it. Just because something happened that generated the need to have an escape pod, doesn't mean that if that problem is compounded that whole idea of trying to use an RV as an escape pod doesn't become pointless somewhere along the scale.

What I was hoping to generate, and there is a glimmer of it in some of the posts, is a discussion of what is reasonable to prepare. I used the AK-47 not because I think that we are going to degenerate to massive civil unrest but to consider the possibility of facing some sort of a threat from more than one person and to think about how to prepare for it. Anyone is free to dismiss that line of thinking all together - until you follow the current new of the murdered couple with the 13 kids. Crime rates are already on the rise and at least some of the perps are pretty brazen. But let's keep that line of thinking in perspective. It is a consideration, not the focus of where I was headed.

I fully agree that most of the potential uses of an RV escape pod could be generated by Mother Nature. The beauty of it is that, with enough fuel and no breakdowns, it is probably likely that we could outrun many (but certainly not all) of them. Assuming that the infrastructure of the area that we end up in remains in tact, other than the trip itself, the whole scenario is almost a no brainer - and not much different than the vacations that many of us take. What I was attempting to do is consider the next level above that. What if it is more than just a vacation trip? What if you cannot get far enough, fast enough to reach a "safe haven". The question is how much is it reasonable to prepare for that situation.

To make my thinking a little more clear, let me try another situation, much more mundane. A set of recent storms caused wide spread tree damage, taking a lot of our electrical system with it. When we were out for 14 hours, it was time to start thinking about the food in our freezers. We've lived here 6 years and have never had an electrical outage of more than a couple of hours. I was considering moving the RV up to the house but realized that the extension cords that I had were way too small in gauge to use with our refrigerators over that distance. So now comes the dilemma. Buy heavy duty electric cords and figure on running from the RV genset? Ours is propane so it is more limited than many but it would take us at least 30 continuous hours with a full propane tank and a limited load. Buy a gas generator? How big? At a minimum, I'd like to be able run the furnace and the refrigerators for a long time. OK. I'm not asking for help to solve this particular problem but suggest that the thinking that goes into it might be applied to the RV escape pod. Only it gets back to what kinds of situations I'm going to prepare for. I'm the kind that prefers to consider the possibilities, not play ostrich and pretend that they won't happen. I'm Ok with limiting the investment in money and time that I'm willing to make to prepare for a very unusual circumstance. But I thought it might be interesting to think through some of those circumstances and consider what, if anything I want want to do about them.

For those that don't want to think about the possibilities of when and how to use an RV escape pod, please allow anyone else who is interested to do so. There is no requirement to post other stuff on this thread.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #19

When I was in high school, the old man who lived beside us told me something I'll never forget. He said " during the depression if someone was needy, they would ask if you had something to spare or trade work for. If another depression hits someone will just kill you and take whatever they want". That made a great impression on me.
I think I have many preparations in-place, but still a ways to go before being self-sufficient long-term.
Someone mentioned "refreshing water in the tank", drinking water may be safely stored for years with proper treatment, I use (Sodium Dichlor) regularly to sanitize and clean home-brewing equipment, disinfect drinking water, and sanitize any drinking water system.
Our RV will be our "escape pod", but not to travel to an unknown. It will be hidden in plain sight, as is its support system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
The section I have made bold is what disturbs me. We are not living in the wild wild west, the days of the great depression or the years of the great dust bowl. And while some disaster scenarios do bring out the worst in some people I belive that law and order would prevail.

It scares me to think that there are people that dream up these scenarios for something other than a movie script as StevePav suggests.

Let's get guns and barricade ourselves on a mountain top somewhere. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.
Does it disturb you that people purchase insurance? No, obviously not. And this shouldn't disturb you either, apart from your own preconceived judgments about "those people."

While some certainly go overboard, many people are uncomfortable with relying completely on an overburdened and aging infrastructure to ensure their survival. Many, many engineers, civil planners, and government officials will be the first to tell you that our infrastructure is in a desperate state due to age and decay and that in many ways, we're relying on luck to keep things running. The Discovery Channel had a show on just the other day with official after official predicting very serious failures in our infrastructure in the coming 10 years unless serious work was done.

And we've seen how disasters can overtax a system and cause a cascade of problems too great for the authorities to address quickly. See, e.g. New Orleans, the power outages in NY a couple years back, etc. So is it really that odd that forward thinking people would be prepared to provide safety and security for themselves and their families in the event something DOES go wrong?

And let me tell you, it's easy to view people as inherently good and talk about law and order from the safety and security of a comfortable middle class lifestyle. But there are indeed very bad people out there that won't hesitate to harm you to get what they want in the best of times. Imagine how they'd be in the worst. Now is it a likely scenario you're going to be confronted by roving gangs? No, of course not. But it's very common, even in good times, for people to get beaten, robbed, and murdered by lone individuals for something as trivial as the cash in their wallet.

So you have a right to be "disturbed" and "scared" because people prepare for emergencies, but please recognize that they're not all (or even most) the loons you seem to think they are in your mind. My wife and I are professionals with doctorate level degrees, I wear a suit and tie everyday to work, we volunteer for charities, we do our part to make society better, we help the poor...yet we also own firearms, have extensive emergency supplies, and take responsibility for ourselves in a way that many in our society seem content to surrender to the government. If this disturbs you, perhaps you should reevaluate your views.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a friendly reminder.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether others agree or not.

Discussing various points of view is permitted and welcomed, but discussing other members is not permitted by the rules.

From our rules;

Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, and political views, are not acceptable.
Thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey ROUTE 66....

I don't want to hijack this thread, but perhaps a little diversion at this point wouldn't be too bad.

That's a great avatar! If I'm not mistaken that would be Sherman and Mr. Peabody in front of the wayback machine. Man, now that takes me back! Sometimes I can't remember what happened yesterday, but I remember Sherman and Mr. Peabody! That's a good one!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fog View Post
My wife and I are professionals with doctorate level degrees, I wear a suit and tie everyday to work, we volunteer for charities, we do our part to make society better, we help the poor...yet we also own firearms, have extensive emergency supplies, and take responsibility for ourselves in a way that many in our society seem content to surrender to the government. If this disturbs you, perhaps you should reevaluate your views.
Is this supposed to impress me or anyone else posting on this thread? Sorry, your "doctorate level degrees" don't make you any better than me or anyone else. I too am a profesional with a degree. I wore a suit and tie to work every day as well for 20 years. My wife and I do volunteer for charities and we also try to help the poor... but, I do not choose to own firearms.

Being a professional with "doctorate level degrees" and wearing a suit and tie to work doesn't make your commentary and opinions more valid than my opinions or anyone else posting on this thread.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Since the warning of "No Personal Attacks" has gone unheeded, it's time to close this thread.

Closed Thread