Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Our first response will be evacuate the RV including the dogs, which will be a challenge since we travel with up to 11 (2 large and 9 small). While in transit they are all crated at the front of the motorhome.

Other then the wife & dogs there is nothing in the RV that I would risk my life for.

My 2nd thought is that if I can get to a fire to put it out safely and quickly I will. I carry 1 small 5lb extinguisher at the front and on 10lb in the bedroom. Also have a small auto fire extinguisher on the back side of the refrigerator.

BTW, I had worked in the mining industry and have extinguished fires underground after equipment caught fire. Not fun but the driving force here is that if a piece of equipment gets fully engulfed it creates enough smoke to put others in danger so if possible it would be put out. Again evacuation was the first response. We practiced fire drills 2 times per year that were timed with everyone accounted for.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fire extinguishers:
Near front door (where it can be readily grabbed whether inside or out), in the electric bay (so there is one readily available on the drivers side), under the kitchen sink, and in the bedroom. Another in the toad.

First aid kit:
In the coach and in the toad.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3, 1 near entry door and 2 in the bedroom(each side of bed). Quite honestly I only need them to help us get out of the MH and away from the unit. There is nothing inside worth my or my wife's life.
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
Right now, a 5 pounder at the door along with two more in the 'basement' at each side's hatch. Then the dinky manufacturer supplied is under the stove. Another 5 pounder is in the bedroom. I have a 6th one on my work bench waiting to be bracketed somewhere, probably in the bedroom too. I do want to put a Mac's Halon unit under the 1200 series NorCold reefer in the spring as the 5er sits a good part of the summer in one place at a seasonal site, often with us not there. As far as first aid kits - we can handle most anything up to a major problem. Beyond that, we'll call the pros - like the time I put my personal lights out with a 5th wheel pin box
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too recommend Mac the Fire Guy. Have seen him and talked to him and am impressed by him and .. I don't impress easy

I have 4.. The toy that Damon installed, 25 pounder I put in, plus two of Mac's All-Fire wet bottles.. Those are the ones I'd grab first if I were grabbing. (the 25 pounder is behind the drive's seat. One bottle is door HIGH and the other is bedroom() I'd like another bottle or two.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
We had the power steering hydraulic hose break and spray our jeep wrangler toad we flaming fluid. Saw the jeep on fire in rear camera & had JUST enough in small fire extinguister by door to put it out.
We now have a larger one in coach by the door, 1 in the one
Kitchen, bedroom & jeep.
I recommend everyone try to remove their extinguisher by the door as practice BECAUSE in a real emercency I struggled with it due to panic mode
The Girls & Newman
42' 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder
cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
We have the one that came with the coach, and three from Mac the fire guy. One in the bedroom, one in the kitchen and one in the toad. I agree with most of the others, if there was a fire, just get us and our dogs out - that is the key. I wouldn't want the coach after a fire ... let insurance pay for a new one. IMO
Lynn & Dan Hochradel, & fur kid Carl
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B, Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #22
Outdoors RV Owners Club
So where is the Mac the Fire Guy store? I'm pretty good at searching for things using google, but I'm coming up empty and no link or store on his site, HOME
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, August 13, '16.
Currently working in Idaho Falls ID de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
So where is the Mac the Fire Guy store? I'm pretty good at searching for things using google, but I'm coming up empty and no link or store on his site, HOME
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I blew two tires at the same time on a new travel trailer and they almost caught on fire. That's when I discovered RVIA approved extinguishers are good for nothing.

I now carry five extinguishers. two by the entrance door, one on each side of the coach in compartments that are unlocked during travel and one in my toad.

I bought a jogger table and every six months or so I put them on that table and vibrate them for about 30 seconds so the material stays loose.

The extinguishers by the door also serve as a weapon. I don't carry guns so I figure a blast from an extinguisher can be a bit helpful.

I've come upon a couple accidents while on the road and while none of them were on fire I could have used the outside ones quickly if I needed to.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Seems like most are prepared. Yes, the main thing is "Get Out and Stay Out"...this is what I teach in the school systems....I even do some teaching in four Amish schools...but that is another story.
Yes, check your extinguishers a couple times a year AND shake them upside down to loosen the powder inside.
Good idea to think about using an extinguisher as a defensive weapon...better than nothing!
My main thought is to have the right tools for the job...and be prepared physically and mentally to do the job that needs to be done.
Having an extinguisher in the bedroom is an excellent idea....we have one there.
Stay safe and have fun....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #26
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All good advice...get safe and then see if you can safely extinguish the fire.

I'd add...if you have an old extinguisher or two, instead of just tossing them out...use them for training. Small campfire in the backyard or somewhere completely safe. I've seen people in "training" aim the bottom of the bottle at the fire, and the nozzle towards the sky. Boy, are they surprised.

Pull the pin, aim the nozzle low at the base of the flames, activate and sweep the fire....and keep after it. A practice run with an old extinguisher helps most folks understand.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Thread,

We bought our MH in May (used). Thought about the Fire Extinguishers but did nothing. Will go to local Extinguisher shop down the road and have them check the two in the rig out and hopefully make a recommendation for us. Hope we never need them but I have used one at work before.

I work in the medical field and do have the first aid kit though. I also have added several ace bandages and certain items go in backpack for hikes. Ace bandages here can help support a sprain if it happens. At least until you get back and to medical help. Think about what they will do with a sprain. Put an Ace on it usually. Poppable ice pack, aspirin, sling, sharp knife and good pair of scissors and duct tape. Duct tape can do all sorts of things. You are only limited by your imagination on this one.

Didn't think about defense with a fire extinguisher, hope I never need this one either.

Thanks for pointing something very important out to us. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #28
Keep this in mind! Small fire extinguishers main purpose is to reduce a fire enough for you to escape. Never attempt to extinguish a large fire with a hand unit, GET OUT! Then call 911. You have nothing worth you or your families lives, not even your pets.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote