Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
RV Fire Extinguishers...Do You Have Enough?

JMHO....as a retired FF/Paramedic that is fairly new to RVing we are getting ready to "set sail" for the deep south for the winter. I just recently assisted with fighting an SUV fire on the highway and I was VERY glad I had enough extinguishing agent to suppress the fire. With all this said my question, not judging, to all is "how many fire extinguishers do you carry in your RV and what type AND are they charged and sealed"?
We carry 4 10lb ABC, 2 5lb ABC, 2 2.5lb ABC, 1 5lb CO2 for the kitchen(leaves NO mess) AND 1 15lb Purple K. Now this may sound like over kill BUT what is your investment in your RV worth AND you may save a life.
The 2.5lb BC that normally comes with any RV is better than nothing...BUT not much. This is where more is better AND get to know your extinguishers AND show EVERYONE how to use them.
We also carry a well equipped First Aid/Trauma kit...actually one large one and two small ones.
I like being prepared for the worst....thoughts???....What do you all carry???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You have a level of training and experience that has caused you to prepare with items that you are very knowledgeable and experienced using.

The rest of the world barely compares to you in this way.

People accept the risks they are willing to accept, blind themselves to others, and ignore even more. Your advice is good, but what is the average Joe or Jane gonna do with a well stocked trauma kit if they don't go get some training?

And do they believe the training and equipment purchases are worth it for them?

It probably really is worth it, but how do you sway them?

Old 12-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic 1 View Post
JMHO....as a retired FF/Paramedic that is fairly new to RVing we are getting ready to "set sail" for the deep south for the winter. I just recently assisted with fighting an SUV fire on the highway and I was VERY glad I had enough extinguishing agent to suppress the fire. With all this said my question, not judging, to all is "how many fire extinguishers do you carry in your RV and what type AND are they charged and sealed"?
We carry 4 10lb ABC, 2 5lb ABC, 2 2.5lb ABC, 1 5lb CO2 for the kitchen(leaves NO mess) AND 1 15lb Purple K. Now this may sound like over kill BUT what is your investment in your RV worth AND you may save a life.
The 2.5lb BC that normally comes with any RV is better than nothing...BUT not much. This is where more is better AND get to know your extinguishers AND show EVERYONE how to use them.
We also carry a well equipped First Aid/Trauma kit...actually one large one and two small ones.
I like being prepared for the worst....thoughts???....What do you all carry???
We carry one........that came in the Coach, I have a good/great insurance on the Coach and contents .......that we pay for.......
If a fire gets beyond what we carry.......insurance will take it from that point.
We have videos of both the Coach and house.......everything, every drawer, every closet, no questions of what we own/had........updated yearly, and kept in a safe place.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Safety

We carry an additional fire extinguisher and medical supplies. We also have five extra fire extinguishers placed around our house, garage and out buildings. I needed a fire extinguisher twice in my life and it was there to use.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry 2- 10 lbs (one in toad if its there), 1 -5 lbs, 2 2.5 lbs, and 2 small kitchen type. Maybe it is my training in the military or I was click happy on amazon one day?
Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Eventually someone will post this, so might as well be me..
Mac the Fire Guy... Great guy, great products, wealth of information.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/home

We have the one that came with the coach. The three pack - 1 in car and 2 in coach. And under the sink in the full rear bath...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449940092945.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	113948   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449940220669.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	113949  

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 10 lb. ABC (rechargeable) in the bedroom, 5 lb. ABC by the front door, and another 5 lb. in the toad. When we get ready to leave on our 1-year fulltiming trial run, hopefully end of January, I am going to replace the 5 lb. up front with another 10 lb. ABC rechargeable!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #8

I carry 3. 1-2.5lb. & 2-10lb.
REV40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Following Mac the Fire Guy, a key thing is fire extinguishers in the bedroom, usually the farthest from the exit door. The fire extinguishers are not to stop the fire but to give you more time to escape, either by getting by the fire to the exit door or using the emergency exit window. Fire rule is get out, second evaluate what you can do to extinguish the fire.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Following Mac the Fire Guy, a key thing is fire extinguishers in the bedroom, usually the farthest from the exit door. The fire extinguishers are not to stop the fire but to give you more time to escape, either by getting by the fire to the exit door or using the emergency exit window. Fire rule is get out, second evaluate what you can do to extinguish the fire.

My feelings on this subject also.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
My feelings on this subject also.
I agree. I have one in the bedroom, one on a counter near the stove and one by the entry door. I don't remember the size or type but they are supposed to be good for fuel fires. I hope I never find out.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #12

I don't have an RV, but in case i ever get one I subscribed to this thread for it's informative value....I was just thinking about how many and what type of fire protection equipment I would stock if I had one............thanks.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I removed the chemical ABC extinguisher from the coach and store it in my cargo trailer. Unless you maintain that extinguisher on a monthly basis it most likely won't work just when you need it the most. It may come in handy one day for either an out-of-control BBQ or campfire.

I replaced the main one with a chemical foam unit which is stored just inside the entry way.

I also have three smaller foam units like what Steve aka Flaggship1 posted, one for the kitchen, one next to my side of the bed and one in my car.

I have a 3 liter S200 AFFF foam extinguisher in my engine compartment with a remote head located over the fuel side of the engine.

I have two 1 lb. Halon extinguishers, one located over the Inverter/Charger and one sitting next to my Aqua-Hot unit.

I had one of the Halon SS30 units when I was still using a NotSoCold 1200 fridge that is well known for burning down thousands of RV's. The second one I purchased for $50 from another owner that also got rid of his fire hazard 1200 fridge.

I bought most of mine from HERE or from Mac The Fire Guy.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel inadequate after reading this post

Fire guy site saved

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire