Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

RV Fires.....

I'm new to the RV world and i've seen alot of stories so far on the subject of RV Fires. The one that really made me kinda worried was this past February in Cleveland Ohio. The next afternoon we read of a RV catching fire and burning to the ground as one of the dealers was taking it back to the dealer location!!!!. My gf and i looked at eachother like deer in headlights!. If a dealer can't get a brand new Rv back to the dealer without it going up what are our chances of a fire in our coach at 20+ years old....but there again if its 20+ maybe we don't have as much to worry about. Although there are still many articles of 5r's and DP's all on the barby! Any of you out there had much problems or knowledge of what causes most of these? just trying to calm the jitters!!!!....
GregNMiaFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

You have to read fine print; WHY did it burn? Fridge, brakes, electrical, arson?

Think of all the RVs built. How many have fires? A very small percentage. I don't have numbers, but I'm sure someone does.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

The papers never mentioned the cause of the fire, just that a new RV just off the show floor burnt to the ground in the parking lot as it was leaving to go back to the dealership! Which being a new addition to the RVing world kinda makes you a lil jumpy. Plus i've seen a few things on other RV sites that don't mention causes. i know some used to be the older fridge problems, or leveling problems. On one site there was a Class A that had pulled into a nice neighborhood across the street from a neighbors house. They opened the door to see the RV in Flames...heres the link... http://www.doityourselfrv.com/motorh...s-subdivision/
GregNMiaFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Yes there are fires in RVs, just as there are fires in buildings. I have not seen statistics that point to RVs more problematic that buildings.

That being said, there are some references and good info sites out there for getting yourself educated and to reduce the risk of a fire in your RV.

Mac the Fire Guy has specialized in RV fires for a lot of years, and travels to RV shows around the country. He also sells products tailored towards RV living and fire preventions. Here is a link to his webpage.

He has some good articles on his web page, the "34 Fire Facts that can Save your Life" is a good read.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #5

Some of the fires were caused by Dometic exploding refrigerators. They guy we bought out coach from said he was in a campground, heard a loud "POP", then a "WHOOSH" looked out the window and the fifth wheel next to him had caught on fire! Dometic refrigerator. After the fire got put out, he researched those refrigerators, looked at the fridge in HIS (now ours) motor home, and guess what? Our Motor Home (his old one) now has an all electric fridge now! I have personally seen one other Dometic exploding refrigerator (picture attached I hope!). Lots of other reasons for fires as well, just as in a normal brick and mortar home. Keep up on the maintenance, know your escape routes, have fire extinguishers close at hand, and if that fails, have good insurance and a REALLY good inventory!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote