Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV In Japan?

My Japan trip ends tomorrow. It has been a fun time.

I spotted this in Asakusa, Tokyo earlier this week:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Japan 2015 Rebel 104.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	109832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Japan 2015 Rebel 106.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	109833  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #2

Looks like it may be on an Isuzu diesel chassis. Interesting compact design.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think you would have to go outside to turn around.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it may be a rental with the "520" on the side.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They have some interesting small RV's in Japan. It would be neat to see some of them here in the states but I imagine that shipping them would be expensive plus I'm sure that there are some import, environmental or safety laws in the US that would prohibit importing them.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

I like the simple, understated graphics and paint. It couldn't be imported to the USA without applying a lot more wild and swirly graphics.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

And the small issue of the steering being on the right...
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
And the small issue of the steering being on the right...
I had a right hand drive Japanese kei Truck to use around some recreational property I had. Getting acclimated to right hand drive only took a few minutes even with the manual transmission shifter on the left. The hardest part was the turn signal switch on the right side of the column. i would hit the wipers almost every time.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

I'd be OK with the right hand drive, but the entry door on the wrong side would be a deal-breaker for me!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Spent some 24 years in Japan with the Navy and later civil service. A number of thoughts passing through my mind. That small RV as shown is fairly common out there. I'm desparate searching for some photos I shot of one very similar back in
2002 while on a trip up north from my civil service assignment in Atsugi, in Kanagawa to Aizu prefecture. It was seen at a gas station in the area. Will post it when I find it. In the meantime, got to offer a comment about driving on the "other side of the road" out there. It was always a way to spot the "newby" in Japan when you saw someone crawl into the front passenger seat of their new to them domestic auto or van. Done it myself more then once. You crawl in, realise your mistake and then sheepishly step out and step around the vehicle to get into the correct seat. That said I spent many days at Atsugi working the flight line with American made flight line vehicles and trucks and then jump back into my personal Japanese vehicle with right hand drive and head for home, on the left hand side of the road as gthey do in Japan, with no problem.
That said, the Japanese have had a love, hate relationship with RV's. It's possible to find a numbert of forty footers out there. I've seen them on RV lots in
Kanagawa near Yokohama. I suspect most find their way north to Hokaido where there is more operating space for such a vehicle. Obviously because of the small roads in Japan the small units are way more popular. Camping is popular in Japan even with the limited places available to use one. Winnebago has tried several times to crack the coach market with varying success. Not surprisingly
one of the most popular camping vehicles in Japan is that old faithfull, the aircooled Volkswagen bus. On my base at NAF Atsugi, I was always amazed at the number of Japanese maritime self-defense force persone who owned / operasted VW camper buses. Good memorys!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was assigned to Izusu for work for nine months. We were right in the flight path for Atsugi AFB. Jets would come screaming out in the morning and gliding back in the afternoon. Got stuck over there after 9/11. Was supposed to come home the Friday after, but GM wouldn't let us fly. Took two weeks before they let me come home.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

Ahhh, Mr Denlock, memorys of 9/11. During that period I worked as a planner/estimater setting up surveys and repairs for naval aircraft through out the western Pacific. I was one of a number of airframe tech's that travelled through out Japan to various bases plus sites in Korea, Iwo Jima on request to examine various airframes and plan and estimate their repair. One of the best jobs I ever had. On the night of 9/11 I'd been home a while. On that particular night ( a day ahead of the state's) which was a Thursday, my wife and i had gone out to a favorite dinner spot. Living of base in private rental we returned home around 10 that evening. I went to bed planning to be up early the next day. The wife stayed up to watch the evening news at 11. About 11:20 or so which was would have been about 8:20 or so thursday morning in the states, she was watching a Japanese news crew doing a news interview in New York about a block from the twin towers. In the course of that interview, the first airplane passed overhead and struck the first tower. From that point on it was pandamonium. The Japanese would lose something over a hundred of their countrymen during those attacks. My wife rushed into the bed room to wake me with the news.
Half asleep I knew it was a hoax or some thing from her imagination.
When the 2nd plane hit, we were going nuts. Living off base I didn'y have acess to Armed Forces T.V. Just the Far East Network radio and as yet they hadn't caught up with the fast moving events back home. By two in the morning we had word recieved by phone to hunker dfown in place. The base (Atsugi) was secured. The nexy morning I drove to the base to see what I could learn. What a sight. The base was surrounded as far as the eye could see with literally hundreds of Japanese police, and command and control vehicles. Absolutely no way to approach the gates or fence line. Inside the the fence perimeter were equal numbers of U.S. Marines in full "battle rattle". Helmets, weapons , the works. Only then did it fully dawn on me we were in serious trouble. At home my daughter who lives and works in Tokyo was on the phone asking for more information. I had none to give. It was two full days before I was allowed back to work. A time I'll never forget. The following days were hectic as we prepared aircraft to repel an enemy that never came.