Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV life is so much easier ...

I really hate that [moderator edit] doesn't work right out of the box. I just spent the better part of this evening installing a new, whole house water filtering system in our S&B - not a cheap one mind you. This is a floor mounted system that takes water in, filter all contaminants and odors out and then sends it to the house.

I reworked some plumbing to put it in between our well --> well pump --> holding tank --> NEW Filter system --> existing filtering system --> house. It took a couple of hours to get it installed, and the initial setup requires a flush of the system. A full flush is 6 steps and 45 minutes - sure enough at step 4 the system throws an error - and of course I can't find any reference to this error code in the manual or on their website. That means Monday is the earliest I can contact them.

Grrrr ... so glad that I put the new system *before* the cartridge/canister filters that I have in place already. Something told me ...hhhmm let's just put a "temporary" connection before the existing filters so we can see how it works before redoing all the plumbing in the "water closet" - "once I know it works like expected, I can spend a few hours and re-do the plumbing back there, and take out the cartridge/canister systems"

... the joys of being on well water!

Life is - or seems to be - so much easier when we're living in our RV.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Life is - or seems to be - so much easier when we're living in our RV."
X2
If I could just talk DW into selling S&B!
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Being on well water you have probably heard the world's worst words after a long day at work: "Honey, we are out of water"

Stop everything, no relaxing now, have to fix the water system. Hope the hardware store doesn't close too soon!

Yes, RVing is much easier.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

If it is a Water Boss system I have become somewhat of an expert at fixing them in a bind over the past 20 years. One year the valve piston that rides on the motor cam and controls the various water paths throuth the unit got jammed up with calcium deposits and stuck between states on Thanksgiving when I had a house full of guests. It was nothing that some viniger and silicon grease couldn't fix once I figured out the problem. Make sure the control board sensors, motor assemblies and electrical connectors are all properly seated as something may have jostled loose during transport.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post
If it is a Water Boss system I have become somewhat of an expert at fixing them in a bind over the past 20 years. One year the valve piston that rides on the motor cam and controls the various water paths throuth the unit got jammed up with calcium deposits and stuck between states on Thanksgiving when I had a house full of guests. It was nothing that some viniger and silicon grease couldn't fix once I figured out the problem. Make sure the control board sensors, motor assemblies and electrical connectors are all properly seated as something may have jostled loose during transport.
Hi Dave,

thanks ... it is a Water Boss System - a 900IF Iron Filter. As I said, this is a brand new unit. After flusing the system for 20 minutes, then adding in the Potassium Permanganate, I ran it through its first Regeneration Cycle.

1. First Upflow Backwash: this went ok
2. Regeneration: this went ok
3. Slow Rinse: this went ok
4. Second Upflow Backwash: This step started, and then I got an HO on the display. After that the backwashing stopped and the display stopped flashing and just displayed 4 (for the step number)

5. Downflow Clean Water Fill: Didn't get to this step
6. Return to service: Didn't get to this step

After doing some online research, I discovered that I could advance the steps manually (versus wasting an complete regeneration) and sure enough, step 4 starts, displays HO then displays a non-flasing 4

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
"Life is - or seems to be - so much easier when we're living in our RV."
X2
If I could just talk DW into selling S&B!
You can always close the house up and hit the road. She may decide to sell after a few months of living in the RV. I would love to do that but DH wont hear of it.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

These units use a motor driven plastic cam with magnets inside of it to indicate the cam position to the controller assembly. If the controller assembly is not properly aligned with the plastic cam it gets confused. I recommend that you unseat then reseat the controller assembly (the unit that has the keypad on it). it slides outward quite easily which is why it may have unseated during transport. Then simply slide it back into position. Your error codes are different than mine but HO sounds like it either couldn't find the home position when it tried or it saw the home position occur when it didn't expect to.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I feel your pain, 2Labs. Plumbing rule #47.... when it comes to equipment, always add a few feet of pipe and three valves to construct a by-pass. Then you can take your good old time for repairs and service

Bet you can guess how I learned rule #47

cheers,
Joopy

PS - I have well water, neutralizer, softener and filter!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So we've got the new filter all worked out ... after talking to tech support, it appears we did not get the newest manual in our box!

The steps 1-6, on newer versions, have now been combined and are only 3 steps. So when we were seeing HO on the display - the regeneration process was done, and the non-flashing 4 on the display was NOT for step 4, but rather the number of days to the next regeneration.

So all in all .. installation and the initial run went good after all.

Now we'll give it this first month to see how well it filters our water, before I rework the plumbing and take the canister filters out of the loop.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #10

Things do seem to be easier when RVing,but sometimes problems arise when Rving that aren't so pleasant either.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I feel your pain, 2Labs. Plumbing rule #47.... when it comes to equipment, always add a few feet of pipe and three valves to construct a by-pass. Then you can take your good old time for repairs and service

Bet you can guess how I learned rule #47

cheers,
Joopy

PS - I have well water, neutralizer, softener and filter!
You bet! ... I cut into the piping in the back at a run before the water enters our canister filters. The WaterBoss 900i that I installed has a bypass on it, so that worked ok until I talked to tech support on Monday.

I'm debating on keeping the canister/cartridge filter housings in place, but if this unit works well for us - then I will likely remove them.

Our water here is a little stinky from iron and can get to smelling like sulfer/rotten eggs in only a couple of weeks with the cartridges. We have 3 people in the S&B and I have both a carbon cartridge and a larger white particilate cartridge in the system. The problem with the carbon is that it's only good for - on the high end - 700 gallons. With 3 people, showers, laundry, toilets, etc ... that carbon filter does not last long at all. In our house, probably 2 weeks.

I've been pleased so far with the Water Boss and it's ability to clean up the cold water. What I am working on now is the hot water. I do regularly maintain the hot water tank by draining it - but as we spent the better part of 3 years away from home - and the filters were not changed as regularly as they should have been during our time away - the hot water tank has a fair amount of sediment in it.

I completely drained it on Monday - disconnecting the input and output lines - shook it up while the water level was low, and did get a fair amount of sediment out. But now, only a few days later, the hot water has a bit of an odor to it.

So I'll drain it again tomorrow, shake it up when its low on water, and maybe even pull out the lower heating element and see if I can use a small hose - attached to my shop vac - to suck out anything that might still be in there.

I'm also going to try to pull out the anode rod - man that thing is in there tight - and replace it if it looks harsh.

Clean, unstinky water, without having to go through 3-4 cartridges a month is the goal - and will make life, and the DW, so much easier/happier