Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Over time I have developed some RV Living habits. They are instinctive - don't even think about them. Funny thing - it happens quickly!

In another thread someone posted about their Norcold 1200 door latches - close one - the other opens a bit. I don't have that problem on my 1210 (yes it is Amish) but after a very short while, we got in the habit of pushing the doors in. And when I say habit - I mean it's a part of the psyche now. We both seem to know - the door was opened and closed by the other. Next time passing by - the doors instinctively get a push. Lol. Surprised we don't do it at home.

Lots of little habits develop over time. Another I have developed - I unlock a bay door - when door is open I turn the key to locked, remove the keys and they go in my pocket. When bay door gets closed it's locked. I always know where keys are and the bays are always locked. Or if walking around coach - they bays get a hip bump to make sure they're latched. It's quirky I know - but it just happens. I know I have others, but these come to mind.

How about you, have you developed any RV Living habits? And no, bacon doesn't qualify.
RVM2 -- Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had to smile at the fridge door reference. My DW hasn't yet internalized that the NorCold doors simply won't close by themselves when given a slight push and I always seem to find them ajar.

During walk arounds, I do the same thing... giving each bay a nudge with my calf to make sure it's secured.

Can't think of any other quirks I've developed off hand.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Lots of little habits develop over time. Another I have developed - I unlock a bay door - when door is open I turn the key to locked, remove the keys and they go in my pocket. When bay door gets closed it's locked. I always know where keys are and the bays are always locked. Or if walking around coach - they bays get a hip bump to make sure they're latched. It's quirky I know - but it just happens. I know I have others, but these come to mind. RVM2 -- Steve and Annie
Great idea, I hereby steal it. We spent a long time in a secure, private volunteer campground at a National Wildlife Refuge where I never bothered locking the compartments (or the main door for that matter). We are volunteering again this summer, but we are in a State park campground with public access, so locking compartments has become a necessary precaution.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

My Dometic doors have springy, plastic latches that click when pushed closed. I found that during the winter (only time I camp) I can just close the door and when the now warmer air inside collapses, it sucks the door in and the latches click. My buddies Breeze does the same. Physics 101.

I do the same as you on my bay doors. Right sides only have 1 latch, Left is a PITA with two. I have hidden keys, so if I forget to take them with me to my MH, I don't have to go back and get them from inside the house. I glued a magnet to one and hid it underneath. It worked fine for many months; now I can't find it. Whenever I go around my MH, my eyes are looking at the ground. It may have even ended up in one of my nut, bolt or washer cans. It didn't show up in the washer/dryer last night.

It was a deal-breaker when I was looking at MHs. This one, you had to hold the latch open as you closed the door. No way you could lock it first.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #5

I have habits. Also quirks. But few that are MH related.

I had some that appeared when we got our first MH, mostly about leaks, plumbing and structure.
The water is always OFF when we leave camp, and the roof seams are still checked monthly.

I forget what the other MH habits and quirks were. They drifted away years ago.

Never had a thing about any doors. The S&B fridge doors always needed a push. Yeah, it was that old!

The personal habits and quirks are many and continue to bloom.
No, not going there on the forum.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

Know what you mean...every day precisely at 1700 hours, I pour some good Kentucky Boubon, light a cigar, then sit in a patio chair....strangest damn thing. Can't figure out where I developed this habbit.
RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD
Know what you mean...every day precisely at 1700 hours, I pour some good Kentucky Boubon, light a cigar, then sit in a patio chair....strangest damn thing. Can't figure out where I developed this habbit.
I really like that song - It's 1700 Hours Somewhere.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Use less water than at home.
Turn water supply off when gone.
Learn more about neighbors in a few minutes than in years at S&B.
Use weather radio on automatic.
Put less stuff in toilet.
Turn gas WH off until needed.
Learn how to aim Sat and OTA antennas.
I - DH - cook and clean.
Enjoy ability to change view if we don't like what we see.
Enjoy ability to get rid of neighbors we don't like.
IF THE WEATHER is bad we move
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFPD View Post
I can't wait for that day....
Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I never thought about it before, had to stop and think if I had picked up any new habits since having No Hurry, and yep, once I got going I thought of several.

First one that came to mind was there is a drawer that slides open, because the magnet latch is broken, and as I walk down the "hall" I just instinctively reach out and push it shut every time I go by it.

I have 15 cats, getting in and out without a few cats running out too is a chore, but I have developed a habit of opening the door, half bent down with my hand under the latch, ready to grab whatever cat is aiming at the door.

One cat likes to hang from the screen on the ceiling vent, which causes the vent to slowly close, and I instinctively reach up and open the vent every time I walk under it.

Normally I keep two 5gal buckets of water sitting on the first step, just inside the door. One day I took them out while I was washing the floor. I didn't realize I was stepping over them every day, until I instinctively stepped over them, and they were NOT there, and thus I lost my footing and fell out the door. :P

I can't reach the upper cupboard doors without a stool. So I placed a stool under the cupboard I use most. One day the stool was not there, no idea why. I didn't look to see that it wasn't there, either. I just walked over to the cupboard and stepped up on the stool to reach the cupboard door, and went flat on my face.

One of the cats has figured out if she hangs on the pantry door and swings, it'll fly open. This is where cat treats, cat nip. etc are kept. It is right beside the back entry door. I am now of the habit of stepping into the MoHo, stooping down to pick up scattered bags of cat treats and mauled packages of catnip, putting them back in the cupboard, and closing the door. I do it even when the door isn't open and nothing's on the floor, than ask the cats "Why didn't you get in there today? What did you get into instead?" Than I'll go all through the MoHo looking for something that's been broken open or torn up, because if they didn't tear up the pantry it always means they were too busy tearing up something else. LOL!

I used to be in the habit of closing doors (there are so many tiny doors at every level of every inch of this thing!) But after a while I just got a bunch of bungee cords and now the doors all stay shut, than I had to get out of the habit of trying to close doors that were no longer opening.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When we get back to the S&B after 3 or 4 months on the road, I have to break myself of trying to to flush the toilet with my foot.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #12

Eelkat. How do you deal with 15 inside cats???
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
When we get back to the S&B after 3 or 4 months on the road, I have to break myself of trying to to flush the toilet with my foot.
Yes .. I do that all the time!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknight View Post
Eelkat. How do you deal with 15 inside cats???
yeah, what MKnight says .. and in a Class C
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote