RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #1

RV travels tales

I can bet that there are a lot of interesting stories about rv traveling.
We were traveling out in Nebraska years ago and a spring shackle on our rv broke and tires were leaving marks on pavement. We found a abandoned gas station and pulled in back and proceeded to try to fix it. Out of nowhere, a family in a 5th wheel came in and the man just started helping me. We got the spring back in place but had no bolt to attach it. I turned around and there was a spring set in the weeds by the building. The bolt fit my rv perfectly.
Can't explain why we stopped right severe the part we needed and where did this other man come from.

Jvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #2

Things happen for a reason......life is full of them

Read your story somewhere previously

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think someone up there was taking care of you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've lost count of the number of times a stranger has stopped to help me out. The kindness of strangers is what makes us human and reminds us that life is good.

Not an RV story but proves my point - On Friday I pulled up to a McDonald's drive thru. As usual some of the people near us saw the monkey in my car and wanted to take pictures or ask questions about her. I told 2 of them that I would park after we got our food and they were welcome to come meet Sena.

When it was my turn to pay, the cashier said that the woman in the car in front of us had paid for our food. I then pulled up and parked next to our generous benefactor and thanked her. She told me that she made a point of doing something nice for a stranger every payday.

There are some people that Sena really takes a liking to and this women was one of them. I think she has a better ability to judge people's character than we humans do.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Like they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good."
Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Like they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good."
I never really understood that saying. "Good" is repeatable and reliable. "Luck" is not.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvermeulen View Post
I can bet that there are a lot of interesting stories about rv traveling.
Not sure how one can top that story! Seems like I always have the "problem" part of that equation, but never the "miracle" part!
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I remember when I stopped someplace in Canada on the way back from AK. As I sat there an almost full moon started to walk up the side of the mountain across the road. I got excited but others did not get it. It went up the side of the mountain and over the top of it. All my pictures had power lines in them. So the effect was less than it could have been.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Once upon a time in the ‘70s

Good or bad? In the ‘70s we were heading from Chicago to Fl. in RV shown to the left. DW & 3kids.

Soon after leaving, saw a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 7 yrs) hitchin with luggage.

Surprisingly DW said to pick them up. He claimed to be a mechanic heading south from Wi to ??? Looking for work.

First day out they ate everything in cabnits, & fridge, including DWs fried chicken. Still looking for a missing left shoe.

Fed them the whole trip (which for them ended at Daytona Beach).

NOT bragging...I was sorry! (I was pushing, by now, to get to Fl. ASAP). We had no problem transporting & feeding them as I was an Iron Worker in Chicago Local 1, and was paid way too much.

JUST before dropping them off had a flat tire. Wisconsin Mechanic didn’t help at 2:00 am. that hot night. Sleeping bags we let there’re kids use had been peed in. Etc.
Won’t burden you with more. But it WAS an interesting trip.

Since then many others have been very nice and helpful and more than made up for that family from Hel,...excuse me, Wisconsin
Peter
Old 07-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petcar View Post
Good or bad? In the ‘70s we were heading from Chicago to Fl. in RV shown to the left. DW & 3kids.

Soon after leaving, saw a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 7 yrs) hitchin with luggage.

Surprisingly DW said to pick them up. He claimed to be a mechanic heading south from Wi to ??? Looking for work.

First day out they ate everything in cabnits, & fridge, including DWs fried chicken. Still looking for a missing left shoe.

Fed them the whole trip (which for them ended at Daytona Beach).

NOT bragging...I was sorry! (I was pushing, by now, to get to Fl. ASAP). We had no problem transporting & feeding them as I was an Iron Worker in Chicago Local 1, and was paid way too much.

JUST before dropping them off had a flat tire. Wisconsin Mechanic didn’t help at 2:00 am. that hot night. Sleeping bags we let there’re kids use had been peed in. Etc.
Won’t burden you with more. But it WAS an interesting trip.

Since then many others have been very nice and helpful and more than made up for that family from Hel,...excuse me, Wisconsin
Peter
"No good deed goes unpunished."

My sister and BIL had something similar happen. They saw a couple on the side of a road pushing a baby in a grocery cart in hot weather, so stopped in their RV to see if they were ok. The man asked if they could catch a ride a couple of miles so my sister said yes.

He proceeded to load the grocery cart into their RV, scrapping the finish off the side of the kitchen cabinets on his way in. Sis fed them, gave them a few dollars and dropped them off at the next town.

I told my sister they were lucky that they didn't get robbed or murdered, and she's still mad about the cabinets.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe I’m wrong, or just too cynical but when I've seen someone standing on a corner begging for money with a small child I'm tempted to report them for child endangerment.

When I lived in Oklahoma City a local investigative journalist fiollowed some of those beggars at the end of the day. One "homeless and hungry guy" walked a few blocks to a parking lot and got into a nice clean 3 year old car and drove a few miles home. He was pulling in over $50,000/ year tax free on his corner. Another 2 were followed to a liquor store.

There are social service programs that will support families wth children. If the parents can’t or won’t take care of them, someone needs to step in.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

Coming into Gatlinberg from the national park we stopped at a pullout for pictures. Next thing I know a stranger pulled in next to us with a flat tire. The family of grandparents, kids and grandchildren did not speak English. Only Chinese. They had no idea of what to do from best we could understand. I tried to air up the tire but ended up changing it. They seemed pleasant enough. From a large city somewhere I suspect.

Tags
travel