Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spent Honeymoon in a tent many moons ago.

Now live in a Class A.

Some differences. YOu arrive during a pouring rain.

Tent: Sit in car and stew or put on rain gear and start setting up in the rain (NO FUN AT ALL)

Class A; Push some buttons, sit back and enjoy dinner and a television show.

Nuff said.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Use of so many emotions makes your post hard to read, and many readers will not finish it. Just sayin.
Good point made. Jim

Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #31

KAS,

As a fellow SCAer, here in the West, we camp from March through October. Tent camping is usually fine from May through the first week of October :-) We bring Moby to the events where the weather is particularly miserable and cold and/or wet, and it is blissful to be warm and dry.

We purchased dishes and cutlery for the MH that are period compatible, and have enough space to bring a large day shade, chairs, extra tables, and a small field kitchen, and a folding fire pit. One place where the Moby is lacking is in clothing storage. Our Rexhall has two small shirt wardrobes, and a few drawers, fine for modern clothing, but not terribly compatible with cloaks or any of our more elaborate garb that is hung up, not folded. Yes, we can hang it in the shower, but then, no shower :-( As you plan your remodel, don't forget to allow for garb storage.

I look forward to seeing your finished RV!

Mrs.M
Old 12-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #32

One more for Mrs.M and KAZ,

A companion that does several kinds of re-enactment (not SCA, but close) also likes to travel. So, has a smallish class A, but it could never carry the gear that he needs for anything, So, he has a really nice utility trailer with clothing rods across that are attached to the doors. That way when he opens a door, a portion of the unloading is already done, what he needs to see is out in the light, and nothing gets scrunched in a panic stop. Give that one some thought.

Matt
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #33

When I was young I loved tent camping. But time, a little extra weight and arthritis took it's toll. It got to where it was either some kind of RV or we'd give it up. We chose to go with an RV.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #34
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I hear you, but if he is renovating it why are you so impatient? I don't understand your post, if he is working on it why don't you join in the fun and help? Why would you spend $$ on a tent when you could use that $$ to maybe even hire someone to help him?
Rome was not built in a day and it takes time to do any reno, obviously he knows you want to camp in the RV but to do the job right takes time,
The renovation keeps taking longer and longer. He won't let me help. He will NOT let me hire anyone to help him. He keeps changing what he is going to do with the interior, and upgrading as he goes, and this has been going on for nearly two years now and I still have yet to get to use the RV.

And in the past year he has stopped work on the RV to do a series of other projects, so all is stalled out at a stage where I cannot use it yet.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #35
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.M View Post
KAS,

As a fellow SCAer, here in the West, we camp from March through October....
We purchased dishes and cutlery for the MH that are period compatible, and have enough space to bring a large day shade, chairs, extra tables, and a small field kitchen, and a folding fire pit. One place where the Moby is lacking is in clothing storage. ... don't forget to allow for garb storage.

I look forward to seeing your finished RV!
I do 10th century Byzantine so my garb is all loose fitted tunics and those fold nicely. I tend to use large tubs to hold entire outfits.

Getting period compatible dishes is a must have! I've been studying up on the archeological finds for my period and region and will hopefully soon get with a local who has a kiln and make my own pottery.

I am pretty sure Hubby will not be installing SCA garb wardrobes. I've given up adding my input since he has this whole plan and isn't listening anyway.

I should take some ugly ripped up photos so if it is ever done there will be before and after....
Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #36

I have a travel trailer. But for one week every year I go tent camping with my church youth group, and love it. It's all in the nature in which your camping. By that I mean both actual and reason for camping. I do prefer my trailer, But would not trade roughing it with the kids for any amount of luxury.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #37
KAS

Been away from the computer too long. I missed this fun discussion.

RV is still sitting, forlorn, torn up, new refrigerator in the aisle, bathroom offline, there is a new problem with a floor in the back room, hubby tore the fabric on the passenger seat dragging the new refrigerator over it without help-- he will not let me pay any of the young persons to help him.

Ah well, maybe I should look into something small I could tow to events. I want a bed and a bathroom, do not care about cooking in it, prefer to join in with my fellow SCAdians for meals. If the RV renovation ever gets done it will be wonderful.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #38

KAS,

I hate having to head out to the privy in the middle of the night, so when we tent camp, we have a luggable loo. It works really well, but never, ever use the liner bags from Walmart, stick with the name brand.

With that in mind, one of the tiny trailers that are just big enough for sleeping space and a bit extra, like a small teardrop or a Scamp type, might meet your needs until the RV is done.

We have lacked rain this year, but not cold, and had three different events at fairgrounds (full hookups!), so next week will be our first *tent* camping event of the season, so I'm looking forward to having my full camp kitchen up and running. The RV kitchen is great for 2-4 people, but I cook for anywhere between 12-60 people at camp, so....

Oh, and I don't know if you have a merchant in mind, but we've purchased our dishes from Rennag Teine Reannag Teine Home, and had no issues schlepping it from one end of the state to the other, with either the RV or the utility trailer.

Happy Camping!

Mrs.M
Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #39

The last two times I "camped" in a tent was Fort Leonard Wood, MO and Camp McCoy, WI. Both times my duties were changed the afternoon before the torrential thunderstorms hit and I "had" to stay in the barracks. Those guys came in like drowned rats. I was warm and dry.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife told me!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
It was about the dogs, taking everything I own, and sleeping in my own bed for me. I will never give up tent camping completely, only my idea of a tent is different than most. I say do both, RV on the way to where you use the tent. Such as 7 days on the Middle Fork Salmon River, or 9 days in the the Grand Canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	61416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	61417  

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #42

I have done motorcycle camping for several years - it means keeping things small and simple. But one year here in north Florida, my tent ended up in water one night, and had ice on it the next! A buddy let me spend the second night in his pop-up. The first night I had eneded up sleeping between two bikes on the concrete floor of a roofed shelter!
The next year, I had my minivan to sleep in and trailered the bike. Still had my 'kitchen' set up in the open trailer - and had ice on everything in the morning.....
So now I am RVing....... ;-)
I also found as I age that bad leg cramps happen more on the ground in a tent than in a bed. I really hate this 'aging' thing......