Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Question RV vs Tent

Well, If I had ANY doubt that I WANT the RV hubby is renovating the other weekend fixed it! I got impatient and went and purchased a tent, cot, sleeping bag, and a couple of tarps and went to an event with friends where we were all camping out together. One lady came in each day of the event from the hotel where she was staying, but I used a tent and was miserable. It was cold, wet, uncomfortable and I HATE porta-potties! I want my own bathroom ! I want my own bed ! I WANT A HEATER . Yup, I really DO want to use that RV hubby is working on.

Has anyone else had such a revelation? Found themselves camping and thinking they would enjoy it so much more from the comfort of an RV or Travel Trailer?

If hubby doesn't get my RV set up soon and start letting me budget to USE it, he may find me going out and buying a travel trailer to tow with my repurposed ambulance.

Either that or I am going to have a pavilion made to go over the retired ambulance turned semi-rv, so I can park it in camp and sleep in it but have it out of sight (Society for Creative Anachronism, in camp everything needs to be period and an RV is not, so it cannot be in camp).

I want a real bed, my own toilet, and heat.

I am so glad that old RV is eventually going to be done.

Tell me about how you came to realize you just HAD to have a moterhome or travel trailer?

KAS (RVM49) Rexhall owner/Spartan. "Hey! I got a glass!"-- GES
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
like you said,tents are for people that really like to rough it,we like to rough it in comfort and style. there is nothing like traveling with all the comforts of home. I hope he gets it done soon so you won't have to suffer any longer.

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
in Aug 2010 I was in a Tent @ 10,000 feet = 29F Near Ouray Co

In 2011 same place I was in my RV I built warm in my Queen size bed. (with a regular mattress)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use of so many emotions makes your post hard to read, and many readers will not finish it. Just sayin.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had been a backpacker and tent camper for 30 years. While tent camping in NH in 2010 I had an epiphany. My back was sore after camping in a tent, even with multiple mattress pads. So I decided to get an RV. Camping is much nicer now. But I still try to get out once a year to either car camp or backpack camp. If you have decent tent camping gear, it is fun.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
My DW has a new saying "Getting old is not for sissy's" I believe I would change that to Tenting is not for sissy's. Sleeping on the hard ground, even if it is slightly padded is not fun! It is torture! RV'n in my MH is home away from home, and that is fun!
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
I was a tent camper for many years when I was an avid whitewater kayaker. I always enjoyed it, when it was possible when camping with a group the campfire at night was great. I have now reached an age where sleeping on a small mattress is to hard on the body. Do miss the campfires and adult beverages consumed and resulting tale tales.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
DW told me
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Freightliner Owners Club
I came home one night an told the DW we need to get into camping because I had just learned about the State Park's near us. I said lets go get a tent, sleeping bags and everything we need. we had both camped as kids and both enjoyed it. she said as long as the tent has a bed and a bathroom she was in. the next weekend we bought a 10 year old Terry TT w/ one slide and never looked back.

set up the tent- take his house keys and tell him when you get a bed and bath room - so will he. LOL
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
We tent camped for years in AZ, then we bought a class B. Didn't work out as planned (expense, problems) sold it, bought a nice canvas tent 2 years ago, have used it 4 times now we have a Eclipse Stellar toy hauler on order. Tenting just is not fun anymore, looking forward to warm comfortable bed, kitchen and hot shower.
Dec. 20th is delivery day, cant wait to go to AZ State parks and Rim country in summer.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
For most of us....Tent camping is for the young!
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Back shortly after the earth cooled, I tent camped, including all the way up to Fairbanks, AK, and back. Yup - RVs offer a lot of creature comforts, far more appreciated after a "little" time has passed since doing the backpacking/tent thing. But I'm so glad to have had that experience.

DW says she's only going "glamping" from here on, so she can plug in the hair dryer and curling iron. For me, it's the Keurig coffee maker, HDTV, and my own bed, bathroom, and A/C and heat and...
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got tired of stuffing all the camping gear and family into a minivan.
DW hated some of the washroom faculties.
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Solo Rvers Club
I hear you, but if he is renovating it why are you so impatient? I don't understand your post, if he is working on it why don't you join in the fun and help? Why would you spend $$ on a tent when you could use that $$ to maybe even hire someone to help him?
Rome was not built in a day and it takes time to do any reno, obviously he knows you want to camp in the RV but to do the job right takes time,

i am certain the renos are things you and he decided on or else you would have left it alone and gone camping.... I have just acquired an older RV and have written down all the changes I plan to do, I do not have anyone to do it for me..
If you want it faster get in there and help instead of taking off leaving him all the work and then complaining ....

If I have misread your post forgive me but that is the message I got from it.
take the energy of your annoyance and turn it into something productive, you will find it to be fun as you will have had a hand in it's creation, painting or removing things you don't like.. there has to be something you can do...
the waiting will not be so tiresome and you will get it the way your want.
enjoy the journey, it is the destination.....

Young at heart,
Older in other places !
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote