Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
And, it wasn't until a few months ago I learned what a "Georgia Overdrive" actually is
Don't feel bad, I had to google Georgia Overdrive.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I drove over the road for a few years back in the 80's and the only problem I had was with the "Ladies of the evening".
Now a days it's the phone or texting that just drives me bonkers

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Looks like the OP is trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
Some RVers evidently disagree...

I'm pretty sure the O.P. was inspired to start this thread by some of the less-than-favorable comments made about truckers in Why do truckers seem to dislike motorhomers so much?

For myself, there's a trucker out there that saved my Mother's bacon one time when she was stuck in the boonies with a dead vehicle...he's my Hero, and since I'll never know his name I just pretend that every trucker I encounter is him.

As far as I'm concerned, y'all can HAVE the road, the gas islands, and the number-one-spot in all rest areas!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
there's a trucker out there that saved my Mother's bacon one time when she was stuck in the boonies with a dead vehicle...he's my Hero, and since I'll never know his name I just pretend that every trucker I encounter is him.

As far as I'm concerned, y'all can HAVE the road, the gas islands, and the number-one-spot in all rest areas! [/QUOTE]

he is a member of this site. He loves bacon can't remember his name but he is here.

jack r
Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Monfort Lane, Hammer Lane, it's all the samething, the passing lane. The left lane is "for passing only", at least in most states. Can't stand drivers, 4 wheels or 18, that won't get back over after they pass. If anybody passes you on the right YOU are in the wrong lane. Doesn't matter if the driver is doing the speed limit or not. Of course a little common sense is always nice. Everybody has a brain cramp sometimes, but staying out in the passing lane while being passed on the right time after time is just wrong. In Texas it is illegal too, hence the big signs on the interstate that say "Left lane for passing only". They used to say "slower traffic keep right" but they started changing them when it became illegal. OK, rant over. Safe travels everyone.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
he is a member of this site.

jack r
I know- he's everywhere!

I traveled all the way to Disneyland with him a few years ago...I'd taught my little Granddaughter the "honk your horn" arm-pump, and he never failed to delight that six-year-old with a nice blast every time we passed him on the freeway. The smile on that kid's face...priceless!

And I met him again last year:

I was wandering around a tiny town in Eastern Washington, looking for a road that evidently didn't exist. I must have circled the same block at least three times, each time passing a place where he was offloading. A few minutes later he passed me where I was sitting by the roadside looking at my atlas. He turned his rig around, came back, and asked me if I needed help! Next thing I know, I'm following him- he actually led me through town and put me on exactly the right road, pulling over to wave me by when I was on it.

Yup- seems like I meet him wherever I go, all right.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ somebody needs to write a song!
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Boxed in Alburquerque

I had a uncomfortable incident with 2 18 wheelers on I40 heading east in alburquerque NM. I was traveling in the middle lane of 3 lanes while passing an 18 wheeler on my right when another 18 wheeler who was following me started to pass me on the left. I was now sandwiched between them and I tried to speed up but they also sped up and I slowed down and the slowed down. This went on for about 2 miles until I slowed down to 25 mph to break up their little game.

I guess it was some kind of truck humor.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzs View Post
I had a uncomfortable incident with 2 18 wheelers on I40 heading east in alburquerque NM. I was traveling in the middle lane of 3 lanes while passing an 18 wheeler on my right when another 18 wheeler who was following me started to pass me on the left. I was now sandwiched between them and I tried to speed up but they also sped up and I slowed down and the slowed down. This went on for about 2 miles until I slowed down to 25 mph to break up their little game.

Like I said, there are all kinds of people in that industry, mostly really good folks, but all kinds. I say follow the Golen Rule but don't take any chances.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzs View Post

You won't want to watch the old movie 'Duel' with Dennis Weaver!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I have drove trucks for 40 years and yes I have seen some really dumb Rvers. That said I have Rv'ed for almost the same amount of time and seen some really dumb truckers. The problem is on both sides of the fence. I think there needs to be some requirement of proficiency for people buying Rv's that are outside of the range of what they have previously driven. It is pretty bad when someone buys a DP and climbs in it and heads down the road and has no idea about air brakes and the physics of driving something that heavy. That said there are some that hold a CDL that make you wonder how they got it. Just my 2 cents.