Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

rvers who are former Truckers

How many of us are there who are former truckers. And is there anyway we can improve the relationship between truckers and rvers? And please constructive thoughts only.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #2

I am not a trucker, but I have never had any problems with them. Stayed in Rest Stops , truck stops, and Walmart by them and have not ad anything but good vibes from them. Chatted about our dogs, and just about anything in general.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I've also run into a number of Rver's whose driving skills aren't what they should be for the type of vehicle they're trying to navigate. Many are used to driving a 4 door sedan that accelerates, brakes, and handles differently than a 10 or 20 ton truck. In most states you can drive an RV of any size with just a passenger car drivers license. I would much prefer a graduated drivers license program just like a CDL. You'de have to prove you know how to handle the type of vehicle you drive down the road.
I agree
I think 0.5% of truckers don't like RVer's. And those are the only ones making noise about US.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have owned a big rig and I have not heard of them complaining about RVers any more then anybody other driver.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I ran nationwide years ago hauling heavy equipment and explosives. Gone for weeks at a time. Then regionally pulling a hopper bottom grain trailer. Home every weekend. My brother just retired after nearly forty years. Sold his T-6 KW. Always have been around the industry. Still have my class A CDL. I think it is a good thing that more states require a class A or B license for motor homes. Folks should have some basic knowledge and skills to operate a vehicle that large. Lord knows there have been plenty of wrecks caused be inexperienced drivers in these things. I don't know about better relations between the two groups. Truckers can be a pretty rough/crude group. Most are descent folks though. I always say that truckers are the most diverse group I know of. They can be the most illiterate, ignorant, rednecks and also college educated scholars. Preachers to serial killers. Thankfully those are very rare. But, again mostly good people. Give them a chance and they will usually show that they are good people. As with most things like this good communication is very helpful for better relations. When around truck stops etc use some common sense and just be friendly/ respectful. They're just working folks trying to make a living too. And never say "good buddy" etc on the radio. Jeez.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
I have been driving a big rig sent 1974 and still do. I have never had a problem with RVers on the road or anywhere .
As far as lic. For RV I think if someone buys a MH or trailer or 5th wheel and spend that kind of money should know how to drive or pull them. With out the gov. Or states getting in on it.
It cost me $146.00 to renew my lic. Every time
Just my though on this not right or wrong .
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #7

I agree malcom that is a non no with us truckers lol
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been driving a truck daily since 1971.

Of course I never have made any stupid mistakes. Can't say that RV'ers create any more problems than anyone else on the road. Truck drivers and RV'ers come from the same cross-section of the population, some are good, some need extended instructions.

I do agree that there should be some sort of skill test given before RV'ers take to the road but then everyone drives like a saint when a LEO is watching, even truck drivers.

Now if someone could tell me why it seems as all the toy haulers are in the Monfort lane...
RRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Looks like the OP is trying to solve a problem that does not exist.
Would be better off to ask about what brand of TP to use
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Only one time was there a problem with a trucker while in the RV. And quite honestly I didn't even hear the problems on the CB but Thom did and fixed it.
I color my hair purple well because I want to. I was driving the truck and Thom was in the RV, we stopped for diesel for the RV and I got out of the truck to sit with him in the RV while he was in line. Apparently while walking over to him some lady trucker started talking about "that "person" with purple hair she's looking for a customer". Well Thom got on the CB and proceded to let her know that I was his wife and I served my time in the Army and I wanted to color my hair there was no law to say that I could not. That I did my time in to fight for the right to do what I want. Needless to say the other truckers got on her for saying things that were hurtful and she shut up and did not say another word.
Other than that we have had good times with truckers we have met driving either in a car, truck or the RV. Most of them actually take real good care to make sure we are fine driving in what ever weather we happen to be in.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #11

Ok seeing how everyone is being honest here, I also drove over the road for a few years till it was becoming a problem shoving my son on the floor going through a scalehouse. I've hauled everything from dry freight to pontoon boats and the last thing was a owner/operator of a wrecker service up in the great lake state (Mich) for 12 years. I've also been an Rv'er for over 30 years now starting with a pop-up, then a TT and then 2 5'ers and now a Class A motorhome. Being a comercial driver for the past 38 years i have trouble with all types of drivers that don't pay attention to what they're doing behind the wheel at all times. Wouldn't be the first time i called the HP on someone texting while behind the wheel and/or inpaired driving or just driving like a fool. OK, I'll get of the soapbox for now and Happy Trails Y'all, Please be Safe and Have fun!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Been driving a truck daily since 1971.

Of course I never have made any stupid mistakes. Can't say that RV'ers create any more problems than anyone else on the road. Truck drivers and RV'ers come from the same cross-section of the population, some are good, some need extended instructions.

I do agree that there should be some sort of skill test given before RV'ers take to the road but then everyone drives like a saint when a LEO is watching, even truck drivers.

Now if someone could tell me why it seems as all the toy haulers are in the Monfort lane...
My son is a truck driver, I once said something about drivers staying in the "Monfort lane" and he didn't know what that was, Youngsters__.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sure aint no youngster, also never been a truck driver, so splain to me the Monfort lane so I don't accidently go someplace I shouldn't. If it's a lane on the highway, anyone should be able to use it.

Glenn
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #14

I had to Google that:

The correct spelling would be Monfort.
The phrase "Monfort Lane" dates back to the late 70's. It refers to the left lane of the highway, (more specifically I-80) and was so-called after a certain company whose trucks were known to frequent it.

Monfort Foods was based out of Greely, CO and their trucks hauled meat east to NY, MA, PA and other places. Rumor has it that the drivers had very little time to make these long runs back when the national speed limit was 55mph. There are a lot of stories out there about the company and its brightly painted trucks (often called circus wagons) but it's hard to distill what is accurate and what isn't.

Stories from those days conflict slightly. Some versions have the Monfort trucks in the left lane because they were moving too fast to bother getting back over, while others just say they were always in the way!

And, it wasn't until a few months ago I learned what a "Georgia Overdrive" actually is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
I sure aint no youngster, also never been a truck driver, so splain to me the Monfort lane so I don't accidently go someplace I shouldn't. If it's a lane on the highway, anyone should be able to use it.

Glenn
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote