Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

RVing Full-Time: What's The First Place To Start At?

For those of you who are full-time RV'ers, I'd like to find out what the first place was you visited, or the first thing you did when you took the plunge and went into RV'ing Full Time?

Did you head out west/east/south/north to a particular site/location, just to get some place cooler/warmer or what?

Just sort of curious as to what most of you have done..and for those who are approaching the time when they do go F/T...what your plans will be FIRST and FOREMOST!

Thanks for sharing!

RogueRVer

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

We follow the weather whenever possible. It's one of the great things about RVing that most folks can't do.

(Posted from Phoenix, AZ - Currently 77 degrees)

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #3

We retired, sold our house, and bought our first RV, a 40 foot Newmar diesel pusher.

Our maiden voyage was to a Newmar rally! Smart move.

Two weeks after that, we went to an Escapees Rally and attended all their newbie seminars. Another smart move!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are going full time next year. We have camped all over the US in a van about 14 years ago. If I were you, I would make a list of places I always wanted to go, and go to them when the weather is good there. Or you could just flip a coin on direction, and see what happens. FREEDOM!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #5

Fulltime

BUDGET.......remember you cannot fulltime like you are on vacaation
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
We follow the weather whenever possible. It's one of the great things about RVing that most folks can't do.

Thanks for the replies folks!

@Bluepill: I had thought about finding an app for my phone, or just using a laptop and book-marking weather.com, to find the best route from one state to another based on weather reports and whatnot!

@scgator: I'll be working from the motorhome while traveling, so as of right now, I'm not to worried about funds! Plus, by the time I pull the trigger and actually buy a MH, I should have a nice chunk of change saved up to cover most of my traveling costs for *at least* a year...IF I can stay under my planned budget!

@jdocter7: Oh...You make a good point about those RV Rallies! Can't forget about those! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

@Davdeb1: Given my personality, I could never stick to a game plan when it comes to visiting all the many places I want to visit in this great country we call the U.S.A....so, I think your idea of flipping a coin is the way to go!

Keep the suggestions/ideas coming folks!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Be flexible

We started fulltiming 3 years ago, and have put over 31,000 miles on our MH - we started by attending the Life on Wheels seminars in Idaho, but that program no longer exists. If it's possible for you to get to Kelowna, BC at the end of June, the RV Owner's Lifestyle Seminar at Okanagan College is a great way to learn a whole lot in a short amount of time, even before you buy an RV (there are even sessions are deciding what RV is best for you). Just Google the title to get information. I highly recommend joining the affinity group for whatever brand of motorhome you buy, as rallies are a great source of new friends and help/advice about your motorhome. Our first trip was a great circle including the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, the Black Hills, visits to scattered family - we had a great time and have no plans of slowing down.
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post
X2 on this one. Very good advice for sure.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our 1st year knew we were headed cross country and needed to target SD to get our drivers license and establish domicile. So we took our time from CA going through UT and CO up through to the black hills for summer. Once all our SD paperwork was done we decided to head on over to FL (hubby has family there) and ended up there for the winter.

Our 2nd year was a colder winter so we hugged the coast through to TX and then into NM. Ended up on the other coast in OR and wintered in the SW.

Definitely try to target the weather. We winter in south and head to the cool mountains for summer.

Also like others said watch your budget. We stay a lot in public campgrounds (National forest, COE, BLM) most of the year, and look for monthly deals in winter.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #10

@bakntep & @Wheelingit:

Thanks for the replies!

I definitely want to follow the weather and stay in those states where I can stay nice and cool...don't mind throwing on a wind-breaker or sweater...as those are always better than an artic coat! LOL!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #11

Still in planning stage to purchase a motorhome when my wife retires in a couple of years, dump (sell) the stick house, and go fulltime. She says the first thing she wants to do is stay in the Super WalMart parking lot a few miles from our house!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
When we were there for the Good Sam rally last month it was in the high 80's to low 90's!! It wasn't supposed to be that hot that early in the year but it was.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
BUDGET.......remember you cannot fulltime like you are on vacation
Well, some of us can and some can't. Just depends on your retirement income.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I stretch my budget by avoiding expensive campgrounds. I spend summers in Seattle next to my daughter's garage where I put in 30 amp electrical service. This winter I was on Mom's property near Houston. Travel between the 2 is when I visit national parks and see the sights, taking a different route each trip. I have friends along the way, too. Rvers are great houseguests -- they bring their own house. No disrupting their household.

I prefer boondocking (no hook-ups) in national forests, on BLM land or in parking lots. Often when there is a sign at Walmart prohibiting overnight parking, there is a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby without any signs. Even better are new shopping centers with few stores and lots of parking -- very quiet.

My 272 watts of solar panels will keep me pretty well charged if I follow the sunshine. I tell everyone I'm their fair weather friend. I repay their kindness by taking them to dinner or even working in their yard -- that I really enjoy.

It works for me.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving