RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #1

RVing,what was your worst day ever?

when I joined this community a few weeks ago I was greeted so warmly and was flabbergasted to the wealth of knowledge being shared. I have posted to many forms over the years and newbies are often talked down to, or ignored. I am so happy to say that is not the case here .

I started a thread last week asking what is your hobby, I had no idea how fascinating a thread it would become, the pictures stories and anecdotes, were uplifting . first of all thanks for all the responses . it touched me. so thanks to everyone.

just a bit about me I ,was sidelined from work about 15 years ago due to a traumatic brain injury which took years of recovery and am still recovering from to be honest, as therapy for me a few months ago I started this YouTube channel as a form of therapy so to speak, part hobby ,part entertainment.
in keeping with the theme question of worst day RVing ever? funny I documented mine lol!

so with the adventure rv video my YouTube journey began.
im pretty proud of that video, was hoping the fine folks here might be able to help me spread its reach a little bit. there will be more to come, so I would humbly ask if you take the time to have a peak ,maybe consider hitting the subscribing there[that really helps], consider making a comment. ,I am usually around there and here . I am really uneasy about this … thanks for all the kindness.
I have posted a few video's from my YouTube channel here and there! if you have not seen it ,here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_19.png
Views:	97
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	239254

video link here:https://youtu.be/_nZ6T06Wq8Y

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_33.png
Views:	94
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	239255

video here:https://youtu.be/58G6OuwYtB0

if you loved it or hated it don't be afraid to speak your peace.

So ,I leave you with a question. what is your worst disaster while RVing?

peace and thanks!
shaun

iamcaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

I am sure a collision of any type would be worse, BUT...

I had a right front wheel bearing detonate in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. It was the furthest thing to worry about in my mind. They had around 1,000 miles since they had been replaced. Waited hours for a tow. Waited days for the correct parts. Why does this type of thing never happen in front of an RV park with a part store next door???

born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
I am sure a collision of any type would be worse, BUT...

I had a right front wheel bearing detonate in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. It was the furthest thing to worry about in my mind. They had around 1,000 miles since they had been replaced. Waited hours for a tow. Waited days for the correct parts. Why does this type of thing never happen in front of an RV park with a part store next door???
its always in the middle of nowhere lol,we can laugh in retrospect.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

1 1/2 yrs after we had hit the road FT we were heading northwest after a trip down the east coast...had 3 days planned for Devils Tower in WY
Pulled in around 2 pm on a beautiful spring Monday afternoon and set up.
Great camp site where we could see Devils Tower ....sitting out under the awning watch little tiny people climbing up the side of it

Plan was to visit the tower/visitors center on Tuesday and then continue on our travels Thursday AM

Work up at 4AM Tuesday to a FLOOD......Living room/kitchen/slideouts were 2" deep in water which was pouring oiut from under kitchen cabinet
$0.50 fitting on water heater HOT out had broken and full pressure city water had flowed for hours....our camp site and 2 others were ankle deep in water

Spent all day Tuesday dealing with the aftermath......wet/dry vacuum/speaking with Insurance/pulling carpet-padding up/using fans-blowers drying out floors-cabinets--drawers and making arrangements to stay in Casper for repairs.
Left early Wednesday for Casper and then continued the saga.
2 weeks later & $6000 in repairs/costs we continued on with our travels

Visit to Devils Tower didn't happen until 3 years later when we were back in the area

So much for 'plans'.........but what the heck, we were FTng and traveling so all was good
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Worst?
Being hooked up to "city" water and taking a long afternoon walk, returned to find water running out of the RV everywhere............
The muni waterworks had a pressure regulator fail and our RV (as well as everyone in the campground) was hit with 150 to 175+ lb water pressure surge/water hammer.....(Gutted the RV pressure regulator I had on the hose)

Totaled the RV. BUT... Lesson Learned.. Fill fresh water tank then disconnect hose and use out of onboard tank....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The worst experience I can recall off-hand was about 2 years ago: we were 2 days and 500 miles into a 4 week trip cross-country when the rear end on the motorhome decided it didn't like the oil that was in it, and started spitting it out, all over our toad. The motorhome had been involved in some flooding about 3 months earlier and the water had risen up to about 3" below the bottom of the door frame. We spent several days cleaning out all the basement storage, and replacing everything that got wet, and I spent several days underneath the rig checking out the engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc. - but completely forgot to check the differential. Anyway, it took 500 miles for the oil/water mix to reveal itself. Fortunately we found a great repair place in Grand Junction, Co and although our cross-country trip was delayed by 3 weeks (and several thousand dollars!) we turned it in to an adventure by visiting a lot of stuff in Colorado that we would have just driven by. Once the repair was done - rebuilt the entire carrier, and replaced all the bearings - our trip changed from cross-country to a trip into Canada.

Fortunately our insurance (Good Sam/Nat General) covered most of the expense, including a large portion of the 3-week hotel stay!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Worst?
Being hooked up to "city" water and taking a long afternoon walk, returned to find water running out of the RV everywhere............
The muni waterworks had a pressure regulator fail and our RV (as well as everyone in the campground) was hit with 150 to 175+ lb water pressure surge/water hammer.....(Gutted the RV pressure regulator I had on the hose)

Totaled the RV. BUT... Lesson Learned.. Fill fresh water tank then disconnect hose and use out of onboard tank....
reminds me of when our sewer leaked in our campervan when climing a hill with it on the first outing, never made that mistake again!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcaper View Post
reminds me of when our sewer leaked in our campervan when climing a hill with it on the first outing, never made that mistake again!
Yup....
Had the "cross-coach" sewer line from the vacuum toilet to the vacuum pump get a hairline split so it would not hold vacuum.. had a hell of a time figuring out what and more importantly WHERE the system was loosing vacuum...cut the offending plumbing pipe at both ends and used the new/replacement pipe to push the old one out the other side then just re glue'd the mess back together..so far so good.....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #9

Iíve been fortunate enough that my one major mishap was running out of gas about a mile before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, in the rain. Luckily there was a gas station a short 5 minute walk away that also sold gas cans.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #10

My worse was probably a trip to Freeport Tx.

It was quick and unplanned. i don't like that to begin with. The wife had picked up groceries on her way home. I was loading and checking stuff. I told my youngest son to get the stuff out of the car. Typical teenager he says what stuff. The groceries, you know bacon eggs drinks and stuff. He proceeds to do that.

We finally hit the road. An hour into it I'm still thinking about what I probably forgot. I say something about her not getting that much stuff and she says no I got a pile of stuff. Then we ask the teenager he said you didn't say to get everything, just the items I mention. So I had to drop the 5'er, drive an hour back, get the stuff, like meat milk. That would have gone well in a closed up car for several days in the summer heat. I drive another hour back to where I dropped things. So now I'm three hours into a trip just one hour away and still had two or more hours to go. We pass thru a town that the speed limit drops from 70 to 45 for about 200 feet, and Barney Fife is sitting ready to scam the next victim, us. he inspects every inch of the truck and trailer. Luckily against the wife's wishes, i did renew the expired inspection and registration. He gets me for 62 in a 55 or something like that.

We finally get there, the electric poles are garbage. I had to fix ours before we can use it. The next morning, someone in our group goes out on the beach and gets stuck. We only had a short rope and I could not see him due to the angle of the hill he was stuck behind. So i had someone stand beside me and guide. he kept saying go go go, so i went went went. He never said stop so we ended up banging the trucks together. The other guy has a brand new truck and both back bumpers were mangled pretty bad.

I finally did get to try some fishing, and again against the wife's wishes I had got a fishing license. Got checked by a game warden so that part went well. At least something did.

The ticket head no info about how to contact them to take care of it. My guess is they are banking on it being late and adding fees. It took days to figure that out and I had to fed ex things to them.

The whole weekend the wife complained about everything. I would have preferred not to even go especially on such late notice and being so unprepared.

I guess there were a few good things but not many of that weekend. Then there was the weekend were the dump hose decides to come apart the moment the black valve gets puled. Or the last couple of trips with the (now x) wife where she invites a pile of people who are there to get drunk and toss cookies all over the place and want to fight other people and not clean anything up and not pay their entry fees or for any groceries. That's another story.
charliez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Worst day for us was back in 2009 or 2010. Left the Bend, Oregon area one pleasant sunny morning about 9:00 AM, headed to the coast. Soon had an encounter with Bambi. Messed up the grill and left headlight area, parts hanging off and missing. NO fluids leaking, thank goodness!

After spending more than an hour placing what remained somewhat back in the original configuration and holding everything together with zip ties, we continued. Fortunately completed our trip of nearly two more month, then had the body shop make permanent repairs once we returned home.

It all turned out okay for us, not so much for Bambi Donít want to ever repeat that again!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #12

Non-impact frame failure. Pulled into a campsite and my tires looked funky and we could smell hot rubber inside the rig.

Foolishly pulled out the next morning and made it 30 minutes down the road before got a flat because the tire was rubbing against the slide out bar:

Long day, 106 degree weather as I attempted to remove that slideout bar and limp down the road. Only made it another 2 miles before having to bail off the highway.

Found out that evening that the frame had failed:

Made a new friend who ended up doing the work to straighten the frame, built and installed new steel cross member supports, and got us buttoned back up in 5 days. I helped as much as possible, but mechanically, I'm an idiot. My job was to get and hold stuff.

He and his wife refused payment though we did slip them a pile of Visa gift cards.

Their boys and my kids became fast friends and so did us adults.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't know if there is a word limit on posts and if there is, I don't know what it is. So I'll refrain from posting on this subject.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #14

Was 30 miles from home, after a trip to North Carolina, stopped at a unoccupied scale, was dropping landing gear when the truck started running really bad....before I could get back in, not wanting to plug up the scale if someone needed it, truck died....pulled the code and it was the dreaded injection pump saying goodbye.....so, called a hook, and as luck would have it, the hook was big enough to tow us with the trailer still hooked up.....towed us to their yard, this was a Friday late afternoon, and called some friends to come get the wife and dogs.....this yard was a dump, so I decided I'd stay there....next morning, the yard mechanic came to work and said he'd never changed one.....so, I knew of a place back east that had the pump I wanted, so had it overnighted....I decided I'd change my own pump as I carry tools, so got everything off other then the drive gear on the pump....new pump comes with a loaner puller, so got it off and new pump on and headed for home.....new pump with freight was $2200 due to what was done to it.....be fine since, and thinking about try'n my luck on the way home in a couple of weeks from Yuma, at that same scale....as I've got towing on the truck, and them towing both hooked up, insurance covered the $500 towing fee...I credit the mileage I'm now getting to the pump....14.4 towing and 21.3 empty...

Tags
rving