Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
S&B Owners 0 Have YOU reviewed your electric bill?

For those of us that aren't fulltimers and still have a S&B ... have YOU reviewed your electric bill and chosen an alternate energy provider? We did a few years ago, but as I learned over last summer, you have to remember when your promotional periods end - or check your rate each month.

We had a couple of months at the start of last summer when our rate nearly doubled from the previous rate of .0659! After a couple of bills with sticker shock, I then chose *another* promotional plan with the same supplier at a rate of .0749 kWh ... well that plan just expired this month, so back to the CT Energy website I went. Compare Energy Suppliers | Energize Connecticut

Rates are on the climb again, our current provider offered a fixed rate of .0899 kWh for the remainder of 2014. Not that bad compared to others, even though it would represent an add'l $27/mo increase on our bill based upon our average usage.

In looking at the companies that are offering promotional rates under .0800 kWh, they are all short term promotional periods of 1 to 3 months, and then switch to a variable rate. Some promotional rates that move to variable state the variable rate will be under the utility rate that is currently .09235 ... but a variable rate really gives them a chance to jump your rate.

I finally decided to change our supplier to Gulf Energy. They offer 3 fixed rate plans for CT Customers:

-- 3/14 though 6/14 @.091/kWh
-- 3/14 through 11/14 @.084/kWh
-- 3/14 through 6/15 @.087/kWh

I decided to take the long term view and fix our rate at .087/kWh for the next 16 months. For signing up we'll receive a $10 Gulf Gas Card and for every 5,000 kWh we use, we'll receive another $25 Gulf Gas Card.

Our average usage - working from home, running a number of computers and TV's is about 1800 kWh/mo. So we should see a $25 fuel card every 3 months. Over the term, that will probably equate to about $150 in fuel cards - so in essence an $8 rebate on electric every month.

I'm not really happy about escalating rates, but at least we'll have a fixed rate, that I am pretty confident will remain competitive for the next 16 months.

If you haven't checked your bill and your options, take an hour or so to do it. It can represent some savings in your pocket each month.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good suggestion.... and another gooberment program that 'helped' us

I recall not long ago an expose on electric rates in texas before and after deregulation.... IIRC the rates jumped up 4 or 5 times right after deregulation.

But, amazingly they stayed the same in one Texas area - guess where ...

Austin, where the state capital is Isn't that a coincidence !
Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

I was looking at Electricity Prices By State website

Electricity Prices by State | Compare 2013 U.S. Electric Rates

It shows Connecticut having a rate of $.1777 per KW hour, so it looks like you are getting a great deal where you live!

Here in the Bluegrass State the web site shows the state average is $.1004(without taxes, fees, adjustments). The rate at our house (total electric inc heating) calculated by dividing the total bill amount (including taxes, fees and adjustments) by the KW hours used is $0.110. That is for 1500 KW-H used. Our rates have increased by 32% since 1973 according to my calculations.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
That website shows about .1129/kwh, close to our basic cost in NW Florida. But when you add the base charge, energy charge, fuel charge, State Tax, Florida gross receipts tax and Country franchise fee you are over .14/kwh.. based on 1045kwh. Still cheaper than most. We heat with natural gas and that helps...
Gulf Power works at educating customers on ways to reduce energy usage.

Electric rates here will certainly go out of sight when the coal fired plants are regulated out of existence.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We installed solar, haven't paid anything to the utility company for the last 4 years.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I have this installed at the S&B to help track electricity usage. A little wireless readout shows in real time and cumulative the amount of energy usage in KWh and $ spent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1045201413.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	56519  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I was looking at Electricity Prices By State website

Electricity Prices by State | Compare 2013 U.S. Electric Rates

It shows Connecticut having a rate of $.1777 per KW hour, so it looks like you are getting a great deal where you live!

Here in the Bluegrass State the web site shows the state average is $.1004(without taxes, fees, adjustments). The rate at our house (total electric inc heating) calculated by dividing the total bill amount (including taxes, fees and adjustments) by the KW hours used is $0.110. That is for 1500 KW-H used. Our rates have increased by 32% since 1973 according to my calculations.

Our previous rate of .0749 was just the Generation Service Charge. The charges for delivery of the electric via our electric provider are billed separately.

Looking at our last bill:
Electricity Supply 1984 kWh $148.60
Delivery Services Charge 1984 kWh $153.48
-------------
Total Electric Charges $302.08

302.08 / 1984 kWh = 0.152258 total kWh cost ... so to comment on your comment, yes we are under that amount you noted (guessing that was a total cost as well)

We saved $35 this past month by having at alternate energy provider. The rate from the local electric company is .09235
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
We installed solar, haven't paid anything to the utility company for the last 4 years.
We had a solar company come out and do a site survey - see this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/solar...-b-147914.html

We are sited well and can do an 8.82 kW sized system on our roof.

We didn't pull the trigger on that for a few reasons ...

- it's a 20 year lease that we can't own at the end of the lease
- our roof is about 28 years old ... it still looks to be in great shape and no leaks (knock-on-wood), but if we have to re-roof in the next couple of years, it will be much cheaper without the solar in place
- We have a lot of yard space and the DW and I have thought a lot about putting panels on the ground instead. This means changes to our gardens (current and future), as well as other structures we want to put up in the yard.
- technology is gaining and prices are still dropping a bit

We're certainly not against it, but it does represent a significant long term investment and we want to make sure we get the most bang for our buck.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 50 year roof installed in 2002. The solar was installed in 2009 (3.9 KW) and I will own it in 2029. My solar payment is fixed and our utility rate increases average about 7% per year. I was at break even in year 2 which isn't normal, it is usually in year 5 or 6.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
That website shows about .1129/kwh, close to our basic cost in NW Florida. But when you add the base charge, energy charge, fuel charge, State Tax, Florida gross receipts tax and Country franchise fee you are over .14/kwh.. based on 1045kwh. Still cheaper than most. We heat with natural gas and that helps...
Gulf Power works at educating customers on ways to reduce energy usage.

Electric rates here will certainly go out of sight when the coal fired plants are regulated out of existence.
EXACTLY ! when and if we loose our option for coal fired fossil fuels most if not all of the Americas will see horrendous spikes in government controlled regulated power systems! Ie, coal,nuclear plants. A BIG granted, I see global change, just look at the present and past winters coupled with drastic CA, TX droughts, fires and massive loss of property but most importantly loss of life! THIS IS A FACT ! Get over it. Being a realist we must utilize our most abundant energy sources to enable the enocomic growth and political stability to focus on the forward progression of all Americans whomever these folks may be, they and you live here! The ability to adapt to huge clean coal filtration emissions plants is readilbly available! Lighten up just a bit. Presently the EPA is locked into an over zealous ambitious pursuant killing the opportunity to work within reason. Thus disallowing opportunities offered by obliging energy companies, a long term prospectus for advanced engineering sifting and high soot burn off emissions technology that tech exist TODAY! The subsidies for coal and natural gas need and must be released, similar to existing oil company tax subsidies. Get it?. DUH! Allow coal and natural gas to progress into modern regulated reasonable time lines, meeting today's standards but don't kill the goose that offers the future. I am a very progressive minded person that just happens to hold degrees in environmental science's I see the need for America's security through our great abundant natural resources. We Americans need not torture the land but use it in our favor to benefit the great needs of its citizens! FWIW. I'm sure this post is going to have a form of moderation or zapped. So be it, it's not political just a fact, we the people of the great United Stares of America need energy at a reasonable cost. It's there folks, we have the greatest coal reserve in the world! Use it wisely, energize America!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Clay box. Very well put.
johnsong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar here. 28 250w panels with micro inverters. Re-roofed under the solar panels as part of the deal. Cash purchase. I estimate a ~4 year break even point.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Our previous rate of .0749 was just the Generation Service Charge. The charges for delivery of the electric via our electric provider are billed separately.

Looking at our last bill:
Electricity Supply 1984 kWh $148.60
Delivery Services Charge 1984 kWh $153.48
-------------
Total Electric Charges $302.08

302.08 / 1984 kWh = 0.152258 total kWh cost ... so to comment on your comment, yes we are under that amount you noted (guessing that was a total cost as well)

We saved $35 this past month by having at alternate energy provider. The rate from the local electric company is .09235

I didn't know you you got charged both for generating and then delivering electricity. First time I saw that!

I agree with your OP. It sure pays to shop around no matter what you are buying. Weather it is electricity or repairs to our RV's. My Daddy used to always tell me "son, you can only spend that dollar one time, choose wisely".

Thanks for the education 2Labs. I learned something today!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Clayobx- Agree. The emphasis should be on improving the the environmental effects of any energy we use. Some pretty outrageous ideas are funded when the technology to improve the clean use of more reliable resources goes lacking. I also agree the solution is not political.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote