Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was in a Saturn dealership early this morning to have some work done. While I was waiting, there was another customer with some problems. He traveled on business and was in the middle of a business trip.

1. He had his engine oil changed at a fast lube place - location unclear.
2. The oil pan nut was not tightened properly, came out, the oil leaked out and the engine seized up.
3. The fast lube place agreed to have the problem fixed and contracted with a Saturn dealer in Wichita (where the car broke down) to replace the engine.
4. The Saturn dealer replaced the engine but failed to torque the belt tensioner properly and it sheared the bolt in the block as the fellow approached Dallas.
5. He had the car towed to the Saturn dealer where I was at and was looking at having to have the engine jacked up to provide access to drill out the bolt - $1,000 more plus. In addition to getting the car repaired and being two days late (parts had to be sent in overnight) on his business route, he was having to handle negotiations among the two Saturn dealers and the quick lube business. No one would authorize a rental car so that he could continue his business so his job was now in jeopardy.

When I'm lying under my own vehicles, doing my own work, I keep remembering situations like this and thinking that if I wasn't up to my elbows in grease, I, too, might have problems just like that poor fellow's. I cannot imagine that his day today was going to get any better.

Charlie

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #2

Thats why I do as much maint as I am able myself. At least if I screw up I know who to blame.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would be why I do my own maint.!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I have a Jiffy Lube franchise a few blocks from our house. I use them for one thing - mandatory Texas state vehicle inspections. There are too many cases of loose drain plugs and oil filters for me to have any confidence in their work.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #5

I used to change my own oil, but found a shop I can trust and spend more money but save more time.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
There are too many cases of loose drain plugs and oil filters for me to have any confidence in their work.
Me, too. An incident at a dealer back in 1972 started me on changing my own oil and I've done all my own vehicles since then. When the kids were at home, I did theirs, too. In the earlier times, that was every 3,000 miles for every vehicle.

Amazingly in all of those oil changes, I've never had a loose filter or a loose drain pan plug. That is probably because I had a big stake in what happened if I did.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do my own servicing cause I am a tightwad!

Dieselclacker
Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Another example of why I will turn my own wrenches until I can no longer hold them.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Even getting the annual emmissions/inspection can be a problem. Last year Jiffy Lube managed to cremate the rear slide topper by backing the coach into their doorframe. It took about 6 weeks to get them to issue a check after they agreed to pay and had the repair statement.

It's back to my local muffler place for emmissions this year. I learned thru this experience that Jiffy Lube has a number of law suits against them (or did last summer). I don't know how folks who can't (or don't want to) maintain their own verhicles get by. It must be a challenge.

Dirk
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Ostermiller:
Hi Ho: Even getting the annual emmissions/inspection can be a problem. Last year Jiffy Lube managed to cremate the rear slide topper by backing the coach into their doorframe. It took about 6 weeks to get them to issue a check after they agreed to pay and had the repair statement.
Fortunately, in my case, they don't even drive the truck/5th wheel. All they inspect on the trailer are the tires (maybe) and the lights. I pull up in front, they do their thing, then I drive it away. They don't ride my motorcycle when they inspect it, either!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #11

Amen, fellas. I, too have seen it...a poor, young girl on the side of the road, who had just had her oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Same deal.....plug fell out, she was stranded 45 miles from anywhere.
As most of y'all, I will do mine until the arthritis gets too bad to spin on a filter or turn a wrench.

Kirk

new to rv'ing
93' Fleetwood Flair
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as the vehicle is/was under Warranty, they do their thing (but I watch and keep an eye on things), after that nobody (shopguy, gas guy)can touch the vehicle... NO filler up, no oil check, no window washing..., but now I'm getting up in years and certain things I just can't do anymore, so - I just have to live with it and read all the reviews here and there. The BAD shops I just pass......
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
As an RV Park owner/operator I saw and met many RVers, each different from the other. One had a half-man dummy (from the waist down), I always referred to it as his half-brother, which he placed under his RV as if it were doing maintenance. Never learned why perhaps it was his idea of a conversation starter but he was faithful to his ruse.

Maybe he will read this and reveal his unique sense of humor to us.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote