Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Smile Sales Tax on Purchase Price of a New Class A

Greetings,

I'm currently considering acquiring a new Class A motor home; however, was wondering if these types of homes are exempt from sales tax in the south east and western States? Thank you kindly in advance for your replies...
quinjeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

In California the sales tax is a one time fee based on the actual sales price you paid. It can range from 7.5% to about 10% based on the County and City you live in. If you are looking at California you can go on the DMV Fee Calculator and put in all the info and it will tell you your sales tax and registration fees. In California it is no different than buying a car when they calculate the fees.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Doesn't it mostly depend on your home state as to how much you pay in sales tax? I know in SC the sales tax on just about any moving object is subject to a state wide $300 maximum sales tax, but then they sock it to us on a personal property tax (based on the county) when you go to register it. If you come from some other state you may be subject to that states rules and rates.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
It is a vehicle, you will pay sales tax on it.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

No sales tax in Montana

Costs me $315/yr to register a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton. That was it.

Insurance in MT is another story however, it's one of the higher cost states. I have an almost perfect 40 year driving record and it's costing me $3,300/yr for a replacement policy. Based on my reading in a lot of states it'd be < $2,000/yr

MT is not a friendly place to establish domicile. I've lived (homeowner) and worked in MT full time, paid all my taxes there for almost 40 years, and I have to fudge things just to remain a MT taxpayer even when I'm not consuming any state or local services half the year!
dphaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It is a vehicle, you will pay sales tax on it.
Again, it depends upon the state, county, and city in which it will be registered. Not all states have a sales tax.....these are some that don't.

Alaska.
Delaware.
Montana.
New Hampshire.
Oregon.

Now they may have some other tax that might apply to new rv sales....so again, you have to check where the coach is going to be registered to know exactly.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinjeni View Post
Greetings,

I'm currently considering acquiring a new Class A motor home; however, was wondering if these types of homes are exempt from sales tax in the south east and western States? Thank you kindly in advance for your replies...
I'm not sure where you may have gotten the idea that there would be no sales tax in certain regions of the US, but as you can see from the posts, that is not the case. There is a lot of information to absorb before purchasing an RV whether it is a $500 used pop-up or a multi million dollar bus conversion. My suggestion would be to do a lot of homework before making the commitment to jump into the lifestyle of RVing. It's a fun lifestyle but can be quite costly.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #8

First paying sales will depend on which state you domicile in. If you're in one of the states that has no sales tax they you're in great shape for the other you'll pay the sales tax for that state.

Now if you happen to domicile in California your in luck as there is a way to legally not pay any sales tax but there are down sides. If you take out of state delivery, or purchase in another state such as Oregon, you still register in CA but you MUST NEVER TAKE IT INTO CA FOR ONE FULL YEAR.

There is an exception to the but you have to be careful. In addition you just can't store it in another state, you MUST SHOW USE. This means keeping fuel, campground and even food receipts for the entire year.

After the year is up you can now bring the vehicle into CA. However I can almost guarantee that you will be ask to prove use by showing those receipts you so carefully saved.

If you're planing to to move to another state you may also be able to save on sales tax. You could change you domicile to a state with no sales tax and buy your RV then after you've owned it for the required amount of time based on the final state you're moving to, move to that state. Example Idaho is 90 days. Forget Washington state however as their waiting time is 10 years.

It takes a lot of work but saving $10,000 or more is worth it.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Buying an RV in Oregon without paying sales tax is easy, just show them your Oregon drivers licence. Now getting that licence is a bit of a pain.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
First paying sales will depend on which state you domicile in. If you're in one of the states that has no sales tax they you're in great shape for the other you'll pay the sales tax for that state.

Now if you happen to domicile in California your in luck as there is a way to legally not pay any sales tax but there are down sides. If you take out of state delivery, or purchase in another state such as Oregon, you still register in CA but you MUST NEVER TAKE IT INTO CA FOR ONE FULL YEAR.

There is an exception to the but you have to be careful. In addition you just can't store it in another state, you MUST SHOW USE. This means keeping fuel, campground and even food receipts for the entire year.

After the year is up you can now bring the vehicle into CA. However I can almost guarantee that you will be ask to prove use by showing those receipts you so carefully saved.

If you're planing to to move to another state you may also be able to save on sales tax. You could change you domicile to a state with no sales tax and buy your RV then after you've owned it for the required amount of time based on the final state you're moving to, move to that state. Example Idaho is 90 days. Forget Washington state however as their waiting time is 10 years.

It takes a lot of work but saving $10,000 or more is worth it.
Am I to believe that I can form an LLC in MT purchase a Class A pay no sales tax and then after 90 days I can register it in ID pay no sales tax and get lower insurance premiums than MT buy using ID as my address?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #11

As stated what you pay depends on the county the vehicle will be registered in.

Yes you can purchase a vehicle and not pay sales tax wherever it's purchased. However when you got to get plates you will owe at that time as stated for the county it's registered/licensed in.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphaynes View Post
Costs me $315/yr to register a 2017 Tiffin Phaeton. That was it.

Insurance in MT is another story however, it's one of the higher cost states. I have an almost perfect 40 year driving record and it's costing me $3,300/yr for a replacement policy. Based on my reading in a lot of states it'd be < $2,000/yr

MT is not a friendly place to establish domicile. I've lived (homeowner) and worked in MT full time, paid all my taxes there for almost 40 years, and I have to fudge things just to remain a MT taxpayer even when I'm not consuming any state or local services half the year!
Ouch, that's expensive!! Obviously your RV is a bit more valuable vs the Bounder 38P I had. Plates were under $100'a year and full insurance coverage was $1,075 a year.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:33 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinjeni View Post
Greetings,

New or old doesn't matter. I was told Colorado has a 2.9% tax, then I have to pay county another 5% or so at registration. Guess I just gotta pay up. Wish they would put the money on roads. We have some of the worst roads.

Don't smoke pot either so I feel every bit of this hit I got disabled vet plates for my truck for free but does not apply o RV's
Old 10-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Am I to believe that I can form an LLC in MT purchase a Class A pay no sales tax and then after 90 days I can register it in ID pay no sales tax and get lower insurance premiums than MT buy using ID as my address?
I don't know how this would work using a LLC but I think ID would treat it as a business vehicle and I'm not sure you get the same 90 exemption. If you living in MT you should be OK if you moved to ID.

As far as getting a drivers license in OR it's not hard but you've got to have a real place to live being renting or owning.

We've thought about this for our move. We don't know for sure if we're going to make our permanent home in OR, WA or ID so our thought is to move to OR and then take 6 months to figure it out. During this time we'll keep most of our stuff we're keeping with in the RV or in storage. This gives us plenty of time to check out all three states before making the final move.

Using OR as our staging area is totally legal and there isn't really much they can do about it if when its all said and done we end up not picking OR as our final home.

The one other thing about our plans is that we'll be ordering both our new truck and fiver which will take a couple months just to get them. So a six month stay is reasonable.

Tags
class a, purchase, sale