Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Salt Water for Fuel - Whatever happend to this idea?

What ever happened to this idea?

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Search me. However,I live just a few hundred feet from the Intracoastal Waterway. All I need is a pump. Keep me posted.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Wayne M;1084920]What ever happened to this idea?

Wayne, maybe OPEC bought the patent rights,.....ya think?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

This is BIG BIG BIG! have you got any idea how many barrels of salt water is produced to every barrel of oil. If this pans out you want ever need oil again.I have an oil well in my back yard that makes 1200 brls of salt water to 10 brls of oil .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe all the oil spills in the oceans can get cleaned up! Maybe that's why it burns.!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
actually the salt water is not burning, these reporters are wrong and behind.
extracting hydrogen from sea water or salt water and even tap water is pretty old school and can be done through electrolysis the problem or stumbling block is we want hydrogen NOW
and the amounts being release by either method are very small really small compared the amount we need to run to the grocery and back
so we must collect the low pressure hydrogen and pump it up to 3k or more psi and put in a flask to we can draw it off and run an engine.

i have been a proponent of make your own hydrogen for years....its just costly to get going...compared to the output volume of hydrogen gas.
BUT if we use solar or wind to produce the electricity to cause change and release the hydrogen, then its a zero emissions sort of way to run our cars, etc
but high pressure pumps use alot of power, maybe a wind turbine could drive one....
then we could run all our stuff on free hydrogen,

plus hydrogen emits only water after its burned.

the radio waves to release hydrogen is a different take, I wonder what the energy used vs hydrogen produced is?
just like ethanol costs more in energy to produce than what we get in return, we need a low cost way to get the hydrogen and compress it for use

lets fix it.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To bad they haven't figured out a way to utilize Hot Air....
I could supply a family of 5 easily!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
To bad they haven't figured out a way to utilize Hot Air....
I could supply a family of 5 easily!
Someone already has, it's called crowd control. I won't say who it was.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=dieselclacker;1084996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
What ever happened to this idea?

Wayne, maybe OPEC bought the patent rights,.....ya think?
Then go to the USPTO web site and download the patent. It will be there.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the fun things about being a Ham Radio operator is that some day I may get to talk to that inventor.. He's a ham. As a result of that I have read about him.. Enough of the side bar.. To the topic.

If you feed energy, be it radio, electric or "other" into a container of water it does indeed release hydrogen and oxygen, in the proper ratio (brown's gas). HOWEVER...

The amount of energy needed to break down the water can never be less than the amount of energy released when the gasses re-combine into water. And due to other losses in the system, your net energy gain is always negative.

in short, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

So, it's a cute lab trick, and it might have some practical uses in another area (Water purification as an example) but as fuel ... Not practical.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

I agree that there is no free lunch but because water is so plentiful and electricity is low cost you can make a device that hooks up to your garden hose, plug it in, and make hydrogen gas pretty inexpensively. That said, you need to collect the hydrogen gas, and pump it into a gas cylinder. Then, burn that in your car with some minor modifications. Compared to 4 dollar a gallon gas, the electricity used to fill a couple of tanks of hydrogen gas is about 4 dollars and you can run about 3-400 miles on that. Way less $ then oil. Remember that water is 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen. The oxygen is just vented to the air and you collect the hydrogen. You are, however, still burning non renewable fuels to make electricity, coal, natural gas, and oil and in some cases nuclear. Burning non renewable fuels is bad but nuclear... Is "death" waiting to happen. Look at our history of nuclear plants used to make electricity. Chernobyl, 3 mile island, Fukushima, ETC, ETC,and those are just the bad releases. Accidental releases of cesium 137 and strontinum 90 happen almost daily in this country alone. How long will it be or how long will it take to have a really, really bad nuclear release that rendors parts of the world uninhabbital or 10 thousand years? Or inhabbital if you want cancer at 10,000 times the normal rate? Fukishima alone will account for 250,000 deaths just by this one incedent over the next 10 years nostly in Japan, North America and Canada because of the prevailing wind pattern. When will we learn?!? -Paul R. Haller-
see here:
http://noorslist.files.wordpress.com...allout_map.jpg
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been reading doomsday predictions on Nuclear power for many years. And I have come to the following conclusions..

1: Yes, odds of a serious accident that makes 3 Mile Island look like, July 4 firecracker, Very high.. Odds of it happening go up every day.. odds of my winning the lottery, actually a bit higher, Odds of my being struck by lightening, even higher. odds of both you and I being struck by lightening, closer to the lottery odds.

2: I gotta die some day/time from somethign.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One of the fun things about being a Ham Radio operator is that some day I may get to talk to that inventor.. He's a ham. As a result of that I have read about him.. Enough of the side bar.. To the topic.

If you feed energy, be it radio, electric or "other" into a container of water it does indeed release hydrogen and oxygen, in the proper ratio (brown's gas). HOWEVER...

The amount of energy needed to break down the water can never be less than the amount of energy released when the gasses re-combine into water. And due to other losses in the system, your net energy gain is always negative.

in short, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

So, it's a cute lab trick, and it might have some practical uses in another area (Water purification as an example) but as fuel ... Not practical.

Thanks. Dead on accurate and succinctly put.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, water