Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talking Satisfying DW

First I need to give some background. Recently We have continued to have jack problems. The darn alarm will not go off when in the retracted position, until about 50 miles down the road. I just pull the hearing aids out, but it drives DW up the windshield. Since Winnebago could not fix the problem, (separate story) they suggested to pry the jacks up with a 2x4, or other object, or hit it with a piece of wood to see if it would retract anymore, etc, etc, etc. So, today I retracted and the "Jacks Down" alarm continued to sound. I tried pushing on the jack as DW worked the control, but there is no way a human can exert 1500 PSI to get the jack up. Maybe a pry bar would work, but I just did not have one. We were lucky this time, it only lasted about 8 miles. Twisting and turning in the Pilot parking lot must have loosened it and caused it to retract. I say that because originally I could see a little silver when it was retracted, and that should not be.

This is where the posted title comes into the scenario.

We are headed down the highway, and DW says, "Maybe a car jack would work to get the jack up the rest of the way."

I replied, "That is an excellent, excellent, excellent idea, a really excellent idea."

She says, "I'm waiting," (pause) "for the punch line."

Now who am I not to oblige, and I really did not have a punch line because it was an excellent idea, but instead I replied:

"That is a smart idea, for a woman!"

And she replied with something that ended with the word "you." I was chuckling to hard to hear her.

Hey! She asked for it, right?

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wayne.... Wayne... Wayne...

Isn't this supposed to be followed by ".... and THAT's when the fight started"?

Does your coach have the memory foam or air matress in the pull out sofa?

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
ha ha ha....man you are brave!!!!
Amateur Radio Op/Crappie Fishin Fool
1991 Cross Country Sportscoach 32 ft. Homebase Indiana
bigdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
That's when it is a luxury to need hearing aids,turn them off and forget it.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Wayne.

Here are several comments:

1. When I saw your post title, I was thinking "could that be an oxymoron?"

2. Are you sure that that your jacks are really not retracting and that it isn't a sensor problem? Our jacks have a separate switch that won't always activate on the pad. I ended up putting a rubber bumper over one to solve the problem. When hydraulics don't work correctly, it could be low or contaminated fluid.

3. I gave you more credit than for falling for a bait line. You were only one step removed from the classic "does this dress make my behind look big?" When you are digging yourself a hole and the opportunity presents itself to dig at a doubletime pace - don't!

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a small floor jack that I carried for the tow dolly which I no longer need and maybe she can place your head between the jacks just cause...

So lets see if I have this right. W is not able fix your jacks and told you to use a 2x4. I would have used a 2x4 and it wouldn't have been to raise my jacks. Did they at least give you a couple bags of leveling blocks?

Who is your jack manufacturer?
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I wonder if the swelling around Wayne's eyes has started to subside yet??

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Darn I thought this was a SEX manual for RVers
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
That nails it! You Marines are tough, not prudent perhaps, but tough.
On the serious side, I tend to agree with the contaminated oil thought. Moisture does collect in the system, causes rust where it displaces oil (low point) and restricts movement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a spray bottle of ATF in the basement and always spray the exposed pistons before retracting them...it washes the dirt off and lubes the seals.
Semper Fi Blackeye
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Darn I thought this was a SEX manual for RVers
Mike and Peggy I think quite the opposite! lol
... Judy and Rick
South Western Ontario
1999 Minnie Winnie
butterflyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
I know a darned good divorce lawyer. You keep that stuff up , u will need him.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with mccsix, spray bottle with ATF seems to work well. Used to use silicon spray but had to use it each time I retracted the jacks. Now I have been able to get away with 3 to 8 retractions before retreatment. The ATF I use is a synthetic type but any ATF would probably do the job.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah, Rick, after 50 years this past March, she's used to it. And, she gives as good as she takes.

Charlie, I had to give some thought to the words I wanted to use for the thread title. Some others I had thought of were not appropriate for the forum. Hee hee!

Supposedly, Winnebago changed the sensor out. Actually I think they just messed everything up, but that is another story for later. Winnebago's original fix on the first day, Friday, was to add fluid. However, I'm not going to rule that out, and as soon as I can I'm going to check that fluid level, just in case.

You reminded me of the time we were going out and I walked out all dressed up. She said, "Are you going to wear that tie?" And I replied, "What's wrong with it. Oh well, come pick one out for me." As it always happens, men have to sit around waiting for their partner to get "ready." She stepped out and said, "How do I look?"
Now I'm the guy that can't dress himself and I'm supposed to tell her how she looks. I'm sure you know what the answer has to be.

Jim, I don't need your help in supplying her with ammunition. She does fine on her own, thank you.

The jacks are Kwikee, now Power Gear. I'm going to check for an exclusive Power Gear dealer in the area and have them fix them. Or just drop it off at the dealer I bought it from and tell them "It's on Winnebago." It should be after what I dropped in $$ at their facility that they did not fix.

All, I'll check on the contamination and have the dealer or Power Gear replace it.

MCCSIX, The technicians said to spray it with WD-40 and then wipe it down. Funny, as I think I read somewhere in a manual to use ATF on a rag, then wipe it with a dry rag. Hmmm! I'll have to look more into this and determine if the "techs" know what they are talking about. I thought petroleum based products were bad for rubber, including seals, unless they were designed for it.

Mick, My son is a lawyer and I'm sure he'll look out for his mother.

Thank you all for the replies. I meant it to be a funny, which it is, but the jack situation is definitely not a funny part.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote