Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Scam email reply from iRV2 classifieds

This email was a reply to an ad I have in the classifieds. Apparently they used the reply form on the site to send the email, because the headers indicate it actually originated from a socialknowledge.com host in Massachusetts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-A message about your ad on Irv2 Forums - Mozilla Thunderbird.png
Views:	71
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	22887
__________________

__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
lonestarace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 722
Yep, got the same thing yesterday
DELETE
__________________

__________________
CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
okie-dokie's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 364
I received the same e-mail about two years ago. I notified the proper authorities.
Apparently it did not do any good, as I see the scam e-mail is still around. As they've always said, if it sounds to good to be true, there's a good chance it won't be true. Take caution, the e-mail could have had an attachment with a computor virus that could have wiped out your hard drive.
__________________
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
87Rockwood's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Looking here and there.
Posts: 732
Yep -got the same email yesterday here. I deleted it on the server before I down load my emails.
__________________
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,068
At least that one is OBVIOUSLY bogus.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
... Take caution, the e-mail could have had an attachment with a computor virus that could have wiped out your hard drive.
Good advise for you Windows users. Take caution indeed!
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 524
You almost have to laugh at the burglar in this case. He is so pathetic he tries anything and its all just a laugh off....but, someone must be falling for it,its been going on for a long time. Years down the road and its still being played. To bad my computer doesn't have a delete or blow this site up button, or I'd watch the guy get blown up and entertain myself for sure.
__________________
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Martino78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 209
That sounds like an amazing deal!! I emailed the "Mr. Edwards" in the email and he said all I had to do is provide my bank account number, social security number, full name and date of
Birth! He said the money would be transferred within 2 hours. I think he may be busy though because it has been a few days and I haven't seen anything.

Lol, I love these stupid scams!
__________________
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Good advise for you Windows users. Take caution indeed!
And Mac users too!!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Community Administrator
 
Route 66's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 25,605
Just received this phishing email in my Junk Mail folder. Note the message came from an AOL user, not Earthlink.

Unfortunately, some folks will think it's legit and reply with the requested info.

Quote:
Earthlink Mail Service Team <bettyhorn@aol.com>

Dear Valued Member,

Earthlink brought to you new Year new System. Due to the congestion in all Earthlink users and removal of all unused Earthlink Accounts,Earthlink would be shutting down all unused Accounts,You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Info below after clicking the reply botton, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.
Full Name: ......................
User Name: ......................
Password: .......................
Date of Birth:...................
Country Or Territory: ...........

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
Create a custom signature, pick stationery to reflect your style and skin your mailbox with a fun theme chosen from our gallery.
Thanks,

The Earthlink Mail Team
PS - Check out the tour to learn more about Earthlink Mail.
__________________
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
LSC9901's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
That sounds like an amazing deal!! I emailed the "Mr. Edwards" in the email and he said all I had to do is provide my bank account number, social security number, full name and date of
Birth! He said the money would be transferred within 2 hours. I think he may be busy though because it has been a few days and I haven't seen anything.

Lol, I love these stupid scams!
If you'd like I can contact him with your info ...just forward it all to me !!!!!
__________________
If you have friends who make you laugh, spend lots of time with them.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Craig_R's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Huson, MT
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Just received this phishing email in my Junk Mail folder. Note the message came from an AOL user, not Earthlink.

Unfortunately, some folks will think it's legit and reply with the requested info.
Quote:
Earthlink Mail Service Team <bettyhorn@aol.com>

Dear Valued Member,

Earthlink brought to you new Year new System. Due to the congestion in all Earthlink users and removal of all unused Earthlink Accounts,Earthlink would be shutting down all unused Accounts,You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Info below after clicking the reply botton, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.
Full Name: ......................
User Name: ......................
Password: .......................
Date of Birth:...................
Country Or Territory: ...........

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
Create a custom signature, pick stationery to reflect your style and skin your mailbox with a fun theme chosen from our gallery.
Thanks,

The Earthlink Mail Team
PS - Check out the tour to learn more about Earthlink Mail.
Earthlink is still around? I thought they went the way of the dinosaur and CompusServe.
__________________
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
steelheadbluesman's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zigzag, OR
Posts: 1,056
I'm no English teacher, but there are way too many grammatical and syntax errors -- even EarthLink couldn't screw it up that bad....
__________________
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Community Administrator
 
Route 66's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 25,605
Craig @ I only have Earthlink email as I don't want to change it in so many places and with so many people.

SHB @ As was previously posted, most folks will spot the grammatical, syntax and spelling errors and immediately realize the scam.

Unfortunately, some will not understand that and respond out of fear and/or ignorance.
__________________

__________________
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.