Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Scammers...ugh

We have listed our RV on several different sites, including this one. And now all the sleazy scam artists are crawling out from under their rocks. Usually they have the same script and the spelling is atrocious and that is the first sign. Answered one with fictitious info only to be asked for our paypal acct # so they could wire money....really?? Wanted me to promise that the RV was in great condition as they were buying sight unseen....and he was in the military deployed overseas...and I'm sure his name wasn't John!
I guess this must work for them sometimes or why would they do this...must be lucrative at some point...right? One, a lady, wanted my phone # and email address asap, sure...get right on that.
I have to say, none have come from this site or I would notify moderators. But my goodness, they are insistent.
I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this sort of thing, I'm not the only one....right?
Andi

Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

I post a few items on craigslist and get the same type of responses. I ask them for a bank account so my bank can deal correctly. Just a lot of BS that happens - no I don't like it but it doesn't really upset me.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Scammers

Craigslist is terrible too..I always get 2-3 scam type requests whenever I sell something. They always want to give you a little something for your trouble..yeah, like stealing my identity wouldn't cause trouble..

Beware of these trolls.. Most likely from China or some other place like that
Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am under the impression Paypal is fairly safe.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Whenever I post something on craigslist for sale I try to be very clear and precise about what I expect from a respondent to my ad. That way I can delete the scammers very easily. Most don't even read the ad. Also I only deal in cash and in person.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Whenever I post something on craigslist for sale I try to be very clear and precise about what I expect from a respondent to my ad. That way I can delete the scammers very easily. Most don't even read the ad. Also I only deal in cash and in person.
Mind if I ask what you what you expect from the prospective buyers? I have a few things to sell soon, and might use Craig's list.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
I usually ask them to put some sort of word or phrase in the header of the email. That gets rid of 90% of the scammers. Someone really looking to purchase your item will read the entire ad before contacting you. Cash only works well also.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am under the impression Paypal is fairly safe.
Paypal itself is safe, it's when they send you to a fake "Paypal" site or say that Paypal has the money and will send it to you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
I usually ask them to put some sort of word or phrase in the header of the email. That gets rid of 90% of the scammers. Someone really looking to purchase your item will read the entire ad before contacting you. Cash only works well also.

Yep, I do that as well. Also, a great trend in some areas City Police Departments are advertising Craigslist List "Lots" where people can tell perspective buyers to meet them to look at/purchase an item they have for sale. Usually next to the Police Department or sometimes the actual Police Department parking lot! It's a GREAT Idea! Wish more PD would pick up the ball!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info everyone!! I now have some new things to try....on to a new day...maybe just get one today.
Safe Travels

Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote