Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Schools dropping music?

Schools dropping music?
It's learning. It makes happier students. It makes students better in math. It makes them so smart they will fail Common Core math.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Both of our kids were in a very good high school band program. It taught them the value of hard work and I think they ran with a better than average class of kids. The joke around the school was the football team was so bad because all the good players were in the band. Both of my kids went on to college. One of them is a high school english teacher and the other is an officer in the USAF.

Do not underestimate the value of a good music program.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
It makes students better in math. It makes them so smart they will fail Common Core math.
You know, that statement doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Meaning you don't need to know Common Core if you were taught math !
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Knowing music and learning it is more than listening to some song through a headset of a personal device.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Knowing music and learning it is more than listening to some song through a headset of a personal device.

Please goggle Common Core Math....its not a rock group !

Mathematics Standards | Common Core State Standards Initiative
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son started music in a public school diring the second grade in upstate NY.....

He had a blast with his music in middle and high school.

Stayed with it all the way through college.....got to travel around the world.

He is now the tubist for the Detroit Symphony.

Whodathunk back in the day?!?????

I am happy to say that our school system here in Brownsburg has a solid music program and the school I volunteered at has one of the best music teachers I have known - her classes are a lot more than the "recorder" or the "triangle". Hahaha She includes dance, singing, and all sorts of instruments the students can play....it is amazing what a good teacher can do with the little ones.

Just my thoughts...

g

Oh - on a side note - I can't whistle a tune...........LOL
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Schools dropping music?

Quote:

Common Core math REQUIRES writing out all of the steps to get the answer. If the student does the math in their head and only writes the correct answer, it is marked as WRONG!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Common Core math REQUIRES writing out all of the steps to get the answer. If the student does the math in their head and only writes the correct answer, it is marked as WRONG!
When I was in school I was really good at math, but I hated it. All around me were other students that either hated it or thought it was too hard. That is because we were just taught algorithms and not given the opportunity to see how numbers worked in relation to other numbers, opting for unexplained concepts like "borrowing" when doing subtraction problems.

Cashiers counting change usually use a Common Core Math method. Say someone makes a purchase for $4.70 and gives you a $20 bill. How do you give them change? Do you get out a piece of paper and write it out?

No. You start with 4.70, add 30 cents and say "five" .... Then add a five dollar bill to get "ten" and a ten dollar bill to get to "twenty."

And $.30 + $5 + $10 = $15.30, the correct amount of change, just done the way they teach math under "Common Core."

It's not subversive. It's not overly complicated. It's just different than the way they used to teach it. The algorithm way of solving math problems is still taught as part of the curriculum, but more time is spent in helping the kids that don't have a knack for algorithms in viewing and understanding numbers in a way that is accessible and makes sense.

Of course us older folks who had to learn the algorithms look at diagrammed math problems and don't understand them. Not because we're stupid or that way of teaching is bad, but simply because we weren't taught how it works. Think for a moment, if you were never taught algorithms, would this really make sense to you?:

Old 04-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Schools dropping music?
It's learning. It makes happier students. It makes students better in math. It makes them so smart they will fail Common Core math.

I totally agree. I don't know much about Common Core, but I grew up in the '50s going to a small school in WV without a music program. A few years ago at the age of 73 I decided to learn to play a saxophone. I had no idea of what all was involved, but with the small amount of knowledge I've acquired I understand completely the reference to math. I'm still struggling with theory, but learning to play has been a wonderful experience and does truly put joy in your heart.

We have a 4.5 year old great-granddaughter and I've been doing my best to install a love of music in her. Her mom is on board too, and I think it's working.

Steve
Old 04-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Cashiers counting change usually use a Common Core Math method. Say someone makes a purchase for $4.70 and gives you a $20 bill. How do you give them change? Do you get out a piece of paper and write it out?

No. You start with 4.70, add 30 cents and say "five" .... Then add a five dollar bill to get "ten" and a ten dollar bill to get to "twenty."
And $.30 + $5 + $10 = $15.30, the correct amount of change, just done the way they teach math under "Common Core."
More likely they have no idea and depend on the computer to tell them how much change to give you.

Our country's standing in education has declined for the past decade. We rank 24th in literacy (China is 1st) and 29th in math. But we spend considerably more per student on education than most other countries.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
That is so sad, music appreciation expands the mind. One of my best friends in HS has had a lifelong love of music that may not have ever happened without that exposure. And I know that I would not have.....we are robbing our children.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
It's not only math that has gone wrong but other things that have been dropped as well. There is no where near the amount of gym classes these days and then the people ask why all the kids are so overweight. There are no more shop classes, graphic arts classes wood shop, metal shop, or printing. With all these that have been taken out, Every student should come out of high school as a genius they have so much time to fill...
Just my dime, but I never was at the top of the class. But I did earn a good living because of having those classes listed. It's a shame so many kids graduate and can't get a job because they have no experience at anything....
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #14

I could never sing or hold a note for sure, but I would like to have learned how to play a guitar, and maybe be able to read music. It would be a shame to drop music programs as they could be useful no matter what you do in life. Now as to math, I was really good in math, so much that I was getting College credits for it while still in high school. I don't think that they called it "Common Core Math" back in the day, but that is what it really was. Math at any level is basically a set of rules, and if you follow the rules not only will you get the answer correct but you can easily check, by working backwards, to see if you did it right. That is why it is important to write out all the steps so that you know how you came to the answer rather than just guessing. Most teachers gave you partial credit if you showed your work, but maybe transposed numbers, and came to the wrong answer. It at least showed you understood the concept and were following the rules. People who are good at math generally are successful in life because they follow rules, but tend to be a little less creative in nature because there are no set rules to follow. Maybe that's why I never really appreciated music when I was young.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote