Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #15

My theory is that if it wasn't for global warming and the climatic cycles that our planet goes through we would still be in the last ice age

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Naw, it isn't global warming at all. Mother Nature is getting on in years...and is in menapause. It is just a big hot flash

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
Naw, it isn't global warming at all. Mother Nature is getting on in years...and is in menapause. It is just a big hot flash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #18

Global Warming's Patent Profitability
By Christopher Alleva
American Thinker

Al Gore is well schooled at manipulating the levers of power and money to his benefit. Heads or tails Al Gore almost never loses. It's been this way pretty much all his life. Starting when Daddy Al set up him in fine style, including an annuity from a Zinc Mine Pop finagled with Armand Hammer, the Communists' favorite capitalist, Al's always been well taken care of. By hook or crook, Gore has reputedly piled up more than $200 million in his bank account since his 2000 Presidential run.

It has been said that Donald Trump is an excellent example of what a shrewd man can accomplish when he inherits $40 million. Al Gore is also an excellent example of what one can accomplish with unusually good hereditary access to capital, of the monetary and political sort.

Mr. Gore's Capital Hill encore is the culmination of a long and well-financed campaign. Ostensibly, his purpose Wednesday was to outline a 10 point plan to combat what he declares is the coming catastrophe, more about which in due course. While his accomplices in the drive-by media slickly packaged up his appearance with fawning praise just in time for the evening news, the actual event was a far different story.

Frankly, he needs new writers. Hopping from one cliché to another like his mascot polar bears clambering from one sinking ice flow to the next, with lines like "the proof is in the pudding" and "the greatest generation" just to name a few. I could be mistaken, but it looked to me like Al enlisted William Shatner to coach him on this one. Shatner, famous for totally overacting every part he ever played, just had to be giving him pointers. (Spock..., I'm...dying...uh..uh...I...can'..nt...hold...on... uh). When the audience was warmed up, Gore served up the best messianic oratory he could muster. Although, in his case it always seems like a cheap imitation.

"The time will come, I promise you, (voice quaking) when a future generation will look back and they will ask one of two questions either they will ask, what in God's name were they doing? (recited in sanctimonious staccato) didn't they see the evidence? (progressively raising voice in anger) didn't they here the warnings? didn't they see the mountain glaciers melting in every part of this earth? didn't they see the polar ice caps melting? didn't they here the scientists say it may be gone in as little as 34 years? didn't they here the seismographers tell the earth is shaking because of the glacial earth quakes on Greenland? 32 of em this year up to 5.1 on the Richter scale. didn't they the see the evidence of nature on the run?..."

And it went on like this for several hours. Democrats praising him as the new prophet and a few Republicans, namely James Inhofe, confronting the hysteria Gore has been trying to incite for the last several years.

Interposing his passionate pleas with his 10 point plan to save the world, Gore outlined a veritable grab bag of proposals that somehow all ended with the same solution, more government power, especially by raising taxes. Surrounded by old Washington hands, Gore and his gang demonstrated great ingenuity in the variety of ideas presented, all with one goal in mind, picking the public's pocket. Perhaps the boldest of them all, was his call for the creation of a new government agency "Connie Mae" to create and trade "carbon credits" ala Fannie Mae. Helpfully, he fantasized out loud about a future in which consumers would get out their checkbooks and write checks to Connie Mae right along with paying their mortgages. You could almost see the dollar signs gleaming in his eyes. Cha ching.

So where did this come from? Were Tipper and Al engaged in pillow talk in one of their four mansions one night and suddenly Al the prophet leaps up from the bed crying: "By Zeus, I've got it! Connie Mae!"

I think not. No, this has been in the works for a very long time. Back in November 2006, Fannie Mae was granted a patent for a system to trade greenhouse gas-reduction credits paid by homeowners. The application was filed in April 2005. Fannie is just now getting out from under a huge scandal that threatened the safety and soundness of the housing finance system. In the wake of this, it is unlikely Congress and the regulators will go along with this scheme. Although, I wouldn't make book on it.

Ousted Chief Executive Franklin Raines is listed in the patent as an inventor of a system for verifying cuts in household emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. The patent, granted on Nov. 7 and held jointly with a subsidiary of New York-based Cantor Fitzgerald LP, gives Fannie Mae proprietary control over a method for pooling and selling credits to companies that can't meet emission reduction targets. According to Bloomberg, Connie Russell, a spokeswoman for the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight that regulates Fannie Mae, said the agency is reviewing the patent and wouldn't comment further.

Besides Bloomberg, the patent award was lightly reported by the Washington Post and Marketwatch. There appear to be no press releases from Fannie Mae on this either.

I have not examined the patent award closely but the Patent Office has a lot problems, granting patents when they shouldn't and denying patents they should grant. This is a patent that should not have been granted. It's utility is entirely dependent on a government regulation. Where's the invention in that?

Al Gore and his guys have been very busy laying the groundwork for sweeping policy changes that they can profit from. There is no real value being created here, just a host for a rapacious nest of parasites

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jayco1:
SCIENTISTS DEBUNK "GLOBAL WARMING".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65474899458831

A GOOD VIDEO SHOWING A NUMBER OF SCIENTIFIC REASONS THAT THE GLOBAL WARMING ARGUEMENT PRESENTED TO US IS A HOAX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Music Lyrics to Global Warming --- just examples of the Gore's trying to save us from ourselves.

Gosh - thanks! Why is it that so many trying to get us to play by some collection of rules DON'T play by those rules themselves? Huh, must be a CONSPIRACY!

Oh, turn out the lights in the mansion when you leave, please.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #20

I'm not trying to start anything here just understand where conservatives are coming from on global warming. Frankly I don't get it and I would appreciate someone explaining your position.

It would certainly appear that the virtually all of the scientists who are experts in this area of science agree. The ones that don't agree work for oil and utility companies or the former oil company scientist who now works for Bush. They pretty much agree that there is a 90% chance that global warming is caused by pollution caused by humans. This isn't news I'm sure everyone who is awake has heard this many times before.

Anyone who lives in or travels to most major cities and doesn't see that brown cloud hanging over our cities needs glasses and a new sense of smell.

If this is all correct the consequences for future generations is catastrophic. I can't imagine anyone not understanding that as they experiences the weather patterns in recent years.

Look at your cellular phone and then look at your car. Cars have not changed much have they? Why don't we have cars that don't require the internal combustion engine? If we put the same effort behind developing transportation that didn't require oil, that would go a long ways towards cleaning up the air over our country and the world. The losers, of course, would be oil company profits and the Billions of dollars we send to the Middle East.

If it turns out all of the worlds scientists are wrong we still have cleaner air, blue skies, and we are not dependant on our friends the Saudi's for oil!

So someone please tell me why the conservatives are putting up such a fight over global warming?

Michael

2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
If only Al Gore had explained earlier how those Carbon Credits worked. My mom died 2 years ago after a 4 year battle with cancer. If I had known, I would have donated to the American Cancer Society so she could have been "Cancer Neutral." Thanks Al!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vegascpl:
I'm not trying to start anything here just understand where conservatives are coming from on global warming.
*** snip ***

I'm not a conservative or any other political label which is bantered about, but I'll explain my postion - I don't have issues whatsoever with what scientists are objectively explaining, it's when the message is being spewed forth by politicians - conservatives, liberal or whatever - or with some political spin added. To me it's not a red/blue issue and I wish politicians would quit trying to hook votes with this and many other important factors we are facing. Would be nice if our elected officials, no matter their party affiliation, would just do what's right for the majority of us - I've always thought that's what they are supposed to do!

For me, how do I know politicians are probably lying? Their lips are moving (and their hands are getting close to my wallet to try to get me to pay for their aspirations).

Enough!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It would certainly appear that the virtually all of the scientists who are experts in this area of science agree. The ones that don't agree work for oil and utility companies or the former oil company scientist who now works for Bush. They pretty much agree that there is a 90% chance that global warming is caused by pollution caused by humans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm living under a rock or something but I haven't seen a line up of 90% of the scientists on that conclusion. I do have an open mind on this subject and would much rather read the factual basis for that side of the argument if someone can point me to it.

To me, it is something right out of Orwell's 1984 thinking to say "the sky is falling and YOU need to do something about it." I'm not a fan of the PETA movement but at least they don't wear furs (or at least claim not to) so they are active participants in what they believe to be the solution to the problem that they present. Where I start to become concerned is when I'm told that I need to act, at a some detrimental impact to myself, but those who are demanding that I do it or, worse yet, passing laws that say I MUST do it, are not doing it themselves. I equate it to the terrorist leaders who are willing to allow kids to blow themselves up for the cause but aren't going to participate. If you believe in the cause, buddy, strap on the explosives vest yourself or have YOUR kids do it - don't push it to someone else that you've brainwashed. Remember what the pig said at the end of that book "and some are more equal." I figure that we either learn from the lesson that Orwell was trying to teach us or we'll get to experience it for ourselves.

I'm waiting the see the facts put into the context of the historical cycles that have already been discovered, not just a myopic view of the last few years. Then, I'll be all ears.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #24

Like all of you I'm well aware of all the scientific studies that turned out not to be so true particularly when it comes to food. Remember when butter was bad and margarine was good?

In my opinion Global Warming is a little different. The difference is that we are not talking about the potential of an individual getting fatter. If the projections are true the world is heading for a train wreck.

Within the past month all of the major news networks including Fox carried news stories about global warming and the fact that there was a 90% chance that it was caused by human pollution. Here is a National Geographic story to refresh your memory http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...l-warming.html

Here is a link to a CBS news story about the Bush administration censoring scientists over Global Warming. This is definitely a Red vs Blue issue. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1415985.shtml

There is a cost to Global Warming. Nothing comes for free. However, what is the cost of hurricanes that are much stronger as a result of global warming. Global warming accentuates weather patterns. Have you seen any strange weather lately? The biggest obstacle to doing something about global warming is the oil and auto companies. They control our government through political contributions. The cars we drive get basically the same milage they did 20 years ago. Why can't we do much better?

Yes we need to reduce our use of energy. Is that really such a big deal? Especially when the consequences of not doing so might well be catastrophic? It's all about Money!

Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
Old 03-24-2007, 08:10 AM   #25

If global warming is caused by human activity, why are other planets warming as well? I believe this period of warming is just a natural occurance that would happen with or w/o us as it is happening on Pluto as well.

Now, you also bring up pollution and emissions. To me, this is a different issue from global warming. I think global warming is a not what Gore is making it. I do however think that we need to make a drastic reduction in pollution. I don't think this will stop global warming. Global warming will soon turn around on its on and humans will be blamed for a coming ice age again.

As for pollution, it makes me sick all the chemicals and other pollution being put out. Our forests are being stripped. Some viruses were introduced to humans through entering areas we have no business. Factories are polluting rivers and killing animals and making people sick. Our non renewable resourses are being used way too fast. We are way too dependent on oil.

I believe that we need to find alternate engines for our vehicles. We need to recycle. We need to drive more fuel efficient vehicles. I have 5 kids, so need a large one, but dh will soon be getting the most fuel efficient one that he can find and still fit 1-2 kids in when he needs to. We need to conserve electricity. We need to protect our wildlife and forests. We need to stop clearing trees to build malls.

I am totally for cleaning up the environment. I believe this is absolutely necessary, not to stop global warming, but to improve our health and make the earth cleaner. We may one day no longer be able to live here, not because of global warming, but because we have totally trashed and poisoned it.

I buy organic foods, deordorant, etc. I try to avoid chemically altered things as much as possible. Vasser University recently did a breast cancer study and, while they could not link one single thing like antipersperant, to cancer, they did find that our bodies have so many foreign chemicals in them that it has to be doing damage and definitely causes cancer. Even though each chemical was in small amounts, they believe it is the combination of them. You get a little from your deordorant, a little from your nonstick skillet, a little for plastic, a little from your shampoo, etc and they all interact in your body.

Then all the chemicals being added to the air and the vaccines with chemicals in them. No wonder we are so sick. I don't live my life in fear and still eat fast food when I feel like it, but I live as "chemically neutral" as I can. How about that for a new term "chemically neutral"?

OK, off my soap box now and back on topic.

Global warming and a clean environment are 2 different subjects.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I disagree with Fox's analysis as many new studies have shown the estimates to be false. In fact, as I understand it, there are more "true" scientists that discount the Gore theories based on science that those supporting.

As I have said, I have asked for but never seen not the data, rather the documents showing the scientific methods, the plan for gathering data and the analytical methods. Nor can I find a scientist that has seen such. Even those most vocal refuse to discuss or even provide information in that regard.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:
*** snip ***

Yes we need to reduce our use of energy. Is that really such a big deal?

*** snip ***

Michael

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes WE do - not a big deal - we can either fish or cut bait, so to speak . . . here's what I'm doing PERSONALLY:

- my motor home has a 2.7 liter diesel engine, weighs about 10,000 lbs., gets 17 to 19 mpg without a toad, 14 to 16 mpg with a toad.
- my car (also my toad) has a 1.5 liter gas engine, weighs about 2,300 lbs., gets 33 to 35 mpg.

Your turn - please, join in - it's for OUR grandkids. Don't wait for the politicians to fix it - their track record (red, blue or whatever) ain't so great! Oh, and the other group of folks who lie/distort/spin nearly as much as the politicians ----- the media! Watch your back!!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ahhh, you told us about everything you have but absolutely nothing about what YOU are doing to 'cure' global warming.

In fact, I have yet to hear just what we can do to 'cure' global warming except raise our taxes. Ya, sure, that's the ticket.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote