Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #29
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Still say it was my wife.

Just sayin.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Peacocks. They will drive you crazy.

We camp at a place, Casa de Fruita in California, that has them running wild.
OMG

Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Still say it was my wife.

Just sayin.
Guess my question to that is What is she doing running around in the woods behind our place ?????
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #32

My vote is for the 'cougar'. Having spent a fair amount of time in the woods, this is about the only sound that I have heard that sounds like a womans scream. I know that people say that cougars are not in our part of the world but they do travel and are seldom seen. I have heard bears, wolve, coyotes fox, owls and several other sounds at night and the cougar will make your hair stand on end!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I actually thought about that... Some people say they are not in Arkansas, but several years ago a buddy and I were just out cruising the back dirt roads a few miles from here, and stopped to talk to an old guy who lived out there. He told us of seeing and hearing them. A true country back woods type of guy. Also a friend of mine who hunts on his dad's property in Oklahoma, has seen one there, along with tracks... But I listened to sounds (again on line) and it just doesn't match.
I guess the closest thing so far is a fox,,, but why we haven't heard or seen them before now is beyond me.
Got 14 acres and never seen a fox, but they are here. I see the fox holes all over.. even steal the kittens when the strays have litters. Had a mother bring all of her's onto the deck for that reason once.. foxes dont come close to the house and never on the deck. Raccoons though, different sory..

Maybe yours was a raccoon fight?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
My vote is for the 'cougar'. Having spent a fair amount of time in the woods, this is about the only sound that I have heard that sounds like a womans scream. I know that people say that cougars are not in our part of the world but they do travel and are seldom seen. I have heard bears, wolve, coyotes fox, owls and several other sounds at night and the cougar will make your hair stand on end!
I have heard a bobcat scream like that.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen things show up in towns and cities that most people think should not be there cause well "those are wild animals and this is a city". I see most people forget that animals can adapt to any situation and live almost anywhere. You may not see them but I bet they are there. As to whether it's not normally there or not well we had a Lynx show up on our old property and they had not been seen in MI in alot of years but DNR was called and they verified yes it was a Lynx.

On the idea of what it could be is that it could be a pig.

Oh by the way raccoons fighting sounds more like cats. One being shot while trying to get in a chicken coop and dying does not sound like a female.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
My brother lives in the NW corner of Arkansas and they hear the screams at night also. He is being told it is a panther or cougar.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I have seen things show up in towns and cities that most people think should not be there cause well "those are wild animals and this is a city". I see most people forget that animals can adapt to any situation and live almost anywhere.
Wild animals live where they chose to live and we facilitate their choices. We build beautiful trails through the wilderness for our hikers and the wild animals quickly adopt them as their own. In the attached story the bear that was shot had been seen dozens of times on the trail across the street from where it was found injured.
Conservation officers kill injured black bear that was denning under city sundeck
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

This is at home.....
I thought wooded neighborhood you meant wood part of a CG. We have fox in our backyard and never heard anything like a scream. I would lean toward a large feline or raccoon. Just because they say they should not be in your area doesn't mean that they aren't. Bears don't live anywhere near our home. I have a picture of one on the road behind our house.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Agree, at our old house at the intersection of two 4 lanes, they said we didn't have anything there either...

one night walking our 135 lb white lab, he went into a vacant lot to smell and he almost tore my arm off pulling the leash ...

I looked up and saw this 4 legged black form @ the back of the lot glance at us and leap straight up over the 6 foot wood privacy fence bordering the subdivision by the woods...
6 foot's a pretty good leap flat footed, especially when the fence was on top of a 2 to 3 foot berm - all I know is that something that can jump 10' straight up ran from us - thank goodness for the street lites

sent chills down me --- talked to my neighbors and they said it was probably a black panther...

moral of the story - fences don't help !
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
peacock

When I was a kid, a long long time ago, I worked in a gas station near a big cemetery. They had peacocks roaming around in there and they do indeed sound like a woman screaming. Like a woman being murdered.

We've stayed at Casa De Fruta a couple of times, same thing there. Not my favorite place to stay. Poorly maintained & run, very narrow sites, and the last time we were there the back came off the electrical pedestal exposing the LIVE buss bars inside. They never even came to look at it in the 4 days we were there. Peacocks were the least of the problems there.

If you like to get drunk and raise hell all night apparently it's the place to go.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I'm still at a loss... We've been here about 7 years now and never heard anything like it.... I've been listening to animal sounds,,, (on line) and just can not find it. Thanks everybody for your input. I've spent some time in the woods,, Boy Scout and other stuff,, but this is a new one. Our Danes stay inside a fenced yard, but it's 2 acres... And Dogpatch, DW doesn't scream, she just gets a big stick....
Here's a rabbit screaming, just in case you missed this particular one: Screaming Rabbit - YouTube

And now, at the risk of totally creeping everyone out, especially you : Are you SURE that what you heard was not a human being?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #42

Try talking to your local DNR or University Extension office. Maybe they can give you some insight into what it could have been.